• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Videogame failures

Dakare

Deus Ex Machina
I know a fair amount about the failures that have happened in the videogame industry, so I figured let's make a game about it! Just list a console/game/console add-on (see below) that failed, say why it failed, and then we'll see if you were right! You CANNOT use a search engine or anything to say why it failed. You must think of it off the top of your head. I'll start us off then.

System add-on: Nintendo 64DD
Reason for failure: Nintendo caused too much of a hype about it before it came out. Due to this people had very high expectations about it. It was severely outdated when it was being developed (1995-1998) and when finally released (1999) it was too far behind techology wise and people we severely dissapointed in it. Only six games were ever made for it, and its online service only lasted a year at best. It was only released in Japan.

System: Virtual Boy by Nintendo

I don't remember too much from this episode of Icons I saw that had it, but I know that it failed miserably.

Game: Radar Scope by Nintendo

This was an arcade game, which had it's five minutes of fame in Japan, and Americans had lost interest as they were about to import it there. Luckily, Shigeru Miyamoto saved the day with his new game...Donkey Kong.

I haven't heard too much about Nintendo's arcade days, but I guess you're right...

An I'll help with the VB. It was advertised as a portable, but was far from it because you had to have a stable place to set it on so you could play it. It also had a short battery life, and the graphics, while 3D, where red and black and caused eyestrain if played too long.

How about Sega's millions of cheap game systems that all failed?

I can only remember the Genesis, but there are many out there.

And why make a game about it?

The Genesis wasn't a failure. In fact, it was one of Sega's best systems. Now the add-ons for it (32X, Sega CD, etc.) were failures. And to Sega's defense, they spent too much money on development and not enough on advetizing.

And why not make a game about it?

The Genesis did fail, but only because the previous system, the Sega Saturn was a VERY bad system.

Uh, okay, bit of history lesson first....

Sega's systems
  1. Master System (little known 8-bit system)
  2. Genesis (16-bit)
  3. Saturn (32-64 bit)
  4. Dreamcast (128 bit)
Sega's handhelds
  1. GameGear
  2. Nomad
Nintendo's systems
  1. NES
  2. SNES
  3. N64
  4. Gamecube
  5. Wii
Nintendo's handhelds
  1. Game & Watch series
  2. Gameboy
  3. Gameboy pocket
  4. Virtual Boy
  5. Gameboy Light (first back-light Gameboy, not released state-side)
  6. Gameboy Color
  7. GBA
  8. GBA SP
  9. DS
  10. Gameboy Micro
  11. DS Lite
Hope that clears things up. If more confusion comes, I'll help.

The Virtual Boy Failed because it wasn't a good system and it used red and blue lines to "make" 3D graphics, but it ended up looking like crap. And like said above, it lasted a very short time in japan, and well... i guess not at all in the US :). Anyways, i'm pretty sure that the guy who came up with the idea for the virtual boy was going to be fired b/c the system was such a failure, but ended up saving himself by desiging the original gameboy.

If anyone has anything to add or a correction to make, let me know, because most of this is what my friend told me a year or so ago and i can't remember exactly what he said.

The VB was released in the US. And the guy who created was fired after it, even though he created the Game and Watch series, Gameboy and Metroid. I really don't think Nintendo recovered from that blow...

And another note on the VB that you must keep in mind. It was never meant to be released like that. The creator wanted to add color in as well, but Nintendo rushed it since the N64 was coming out in a few years.

Back to business:

System: Atari Jaguar
Reason: Even though it was the first 64 bit system, Atari could not compete with Nintendo and Sega after the crash of '84. It was also fairly expensive.

Here's one I'm surprised hasn't been listed

Game-E.T for the Atari

Ok this game blew. Majorly. The game was you as ET running around trying to avoid the FBI guy, while falling into holes to find parts to your ship and extending your neck to float out, only to repeat it. That's the whole game. Seriously. Ok so you pick up these things that look like Reese's Pieces, but that's the game. This is also the game that brought about the videogame industry crash in the 80's, and like every single copy is (supposedly) buried somewhere in the Nevada desert

PS3 in my mind failed already. Not trying to stir up a commotion but i played Call of duty 3 on the 360 and then tryed it on a PS3 in the Gamestop booth at MLG and the ps3 was not a good. Bluray didn't seem to enhance their graphics not even up to xbox 360 value. It also so far is lacking games and popular games.So far it has not preformed well.

I like the gun they had with the red needle that exploded when you pulled the trigger once more. Reminds me of the Gears of War Torque bow

Big Rigs!

If I remember correctly, Gamespot has a video review where the entirety of the review, no words are spoken. Instead, the reviewer is shown playing the game at the computer, in agony, until he runs outside, throws himself onto the ground, and stares at the sky shaking his head :D.

Back