• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

American Censorship

i am a teddy

Graverobber
Don't be dense and believe it isn't there. I recently found out American publishers censored a scene in one of my favorite books. Why? Cause is had something about the character's incipient sexuality. The book is The Amber Spyglass, from Phillip Pullman's, His Dark Materials. If any of you have read the book, there is certainly more controversial material in the book than the word "breast". Ya. I just found a site and forum dedicated to HDM. Found a thread on the censorship. Found a post with the censored version. Worst word? Ya; the word aforementioned. The book is about killing God essentially.

Any thoughts on American censorship?

Wait ...

Why would anyone care about that in the Amber Spyglass. The book is essentially us taking on God, and then he dies in the end. It is against so many religions I don't think I can begin to explain.

American Censorship is unbiased at times. I find it a little odd that the most powerful country in the world is afraid of the little word "breast."

So in summary, American Censorship can go """This Message has been Censored by the Government of the United States of America"""

Wait ...

Why would anyone care about that in the Amber Spyglass. The book is essentially us taking on God, and then he dies in the end. It is against so many religions I don't think I can begin to explain.
Not quite. It's more about taking on the guy who mugged God, took his wallet, and stole his identity to use his legions to dominate the multiverse. The moral is less about deicide and more about rebelling against something that was once good but has since been corrupted.

Now what I find ironically funny is an abridged version of Fahrenheit 451. A censored book about censorship.

People don't realize you can't protect someone's innocence forever (by which I mean you can't blind them from the world so that they may live in blissful ignorance). Eventually they must be set free, whether that's good or bad to them depends on their personality but it's something that must happen. Censorship should only be done by people who are responsible for those being protected: their parents. And while censorship is good for a while, once the person gets to a certain age things can't be kept hidden from them. Having to sign a sex ed form for your child is ridiculous, this is something that they have to learn and parents who are against it are more ignorant than their child who is being taught bullshit.

In other words, individual censorship may be necessary for some people's children but it must be lifted when the time comes.

Back