• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Animal Crossing: Wild World

animaldude

Sage in Training
Animal Crossing: Wild World

There’s a lot to describe in this game so let’s get started!

The game is a simulation game. You start in the back of a taxi cab driven by Kapp’n the parrot. You soon find out that you are on your way to a new town to live in. Kapp’n asks you a bunch of questions regarding the time, day, and so on. One question he asks is what part of town you like best. You choose from beach, town hall, shop, border, the museum. The answer to this will determine where you live in town. For example, if you choose shop, you will end up having your house near Tom Nook’s Shop and The Able Sisters (a clothing store). Who is Tom Nook, you ask? You shall soon find out.

So once you leave the taxi cab of the friendly Kapp’n you find yourself in front of the town hall. When you go in you speak with Pelly (a pelican who works at town hall) you will a receive a town map, the information regarding your living arrangements, and the fact that Tom Nook has been waiting for your arrival. If you look behind Pelly you can see a turtle sitting at a desk. This is Tortimer, the town mayor. A more formal introduction to this character will soon arrive.

When you leave town hall you are supposed to go to your house. There really isn’t anything to do here but when you leave the house your fun journey begins. When you leave your small house, out of the blue appears Tom Nook. He introduces himself and tells you that you owe him money for the house (19,800 bells to bells to be exact). This is because he built the house. Before I move on I might as well tell you guys that “bells” are the currency in the world of Animal Crossing. So you accept his offer of a job and begin working. First, Tom Nook gives you a work uniform. You can use this from the suitcase which is accessible via the Y button or the top right corner of your screen. You drag the item onto the picture of your body and are done with it. Then, you are assigned five or so tasks that include delivering items to other members of your town, simply greeting other members of your town, and posting a bulletin on the town’s bulletin board. When you are done you are awarded some bells and are done. Scream for joy.

Now you can live your own life doing whatever you want to do. There are many ways to make money. If it’s spring time catch bugs and sell them to Tom Nook’s shop. If it’s anytime fish and sell them to Tom Nook’s shop. You can also go digging for fossils which you can donate to your awesome museum, or shake trees for the fruits. Your town has a main fruit which is random but if you find the seed of another fruit, and plant it, you can grow a tree that drops fruit that sells for 5 times as much as the original fruit your town grew. This is a great way for making money. Another objective of the game is to fill up your museum. You can buy paintings at Tom Nook’s shop or a secret black market run by Redd who comes by any weekday. But, SHHHHHH. I didn’t tell you anything. Other things you can fill your museum with are bugs and fish. There’s also an observatory where you can create constellations and there is a café where you can do what you do at café’s. On Saturday a singing dog comes to the café to play on his guitar. He only plays on song per week though but if you buy a radio from Tom Nook, you can record the songs and play them at home.

When you have finally paid off your first debt to Tom Nook he asks you if you would like an upgrade to your house. If you say yes you are in debt again. This time, a larger one. What you get is a bigger house. Each time you pay off your debt you get to make another upgrade. Upgrades add more floors, and size. It can be fun collecting furniture of the same kind from Tom Nook’s shop, and putting them in your room. When you complete furniture sets you get higher scores from a weekly house scoring newsletter thingy. They really don’t mean anything but it’s cool when you get a really high score.

There are many more things in this game but I don’t want to put you to sleep if I have not already so I shall quickly go through other things you can do in this game. There is a bank where you can put money in. You do get interest. When you spend a lot of money at Tom Nook’s store, his store gets upgrades that make his store bigger and shinier. Becoming friends with your neighbors allows you to keep them and possibly gain more members of the town. Tom Nook is a fox. Just thought I’d add that in J. Keeping your town clean will also attract more people (don’t let weeds grow). There’s a clothing store where you can design your own shirts, hats, and umbrellas. You can also buy these items. The fun part to collecting items is that only a couple are available to be bought each day so you must keep an eye out.

Finally, there are multi-player and Wi-Fi features that allow you to visit other peoples’ towns. Wi-fi requires you to know the other person’s friend mode which is annoying if you don’t have any friends who have the game. Multiplayer is not available in download play. But that’s obvious due to the fact that you wouldn’t have a character to have leave a town to go to another town. There really isn’t much you can do in multiplayer besides catch butterflies together, fish together, and simply check out the friend’s town. You can also have contests where you can have your friends search for an item that you can burry. These are all very fun.

Now for the controls…

Controls are simple. All you do is move either using the d-pad with b to run or using the touch screen simply by moving the stylus around the screen. In this mode you simply point farther away from your person to run. You perform various actions by simply clicking on the item you are trying to do something with. There is an inventory place where you can see the items you’re holding, the amount of money you’re holding, the letters that you’re holding, and the clothing you’re wearing. There are also log books you can choose from the tabs. These show what types of fish you’ve caught and what types of bugs you’ve been able to catch. The town map is also viewable from one of these tabs.

W00t! Score time!

Graphics- There’s not much more to say other than these are very clean. It looks great on the DS… 8/10

Gameplay- Everything you do in this game is extremely fun. It’s fun for every age group. Little kids will be playing because it’s simple and older kids will be playing just to complete everything. It’s not much gameplay as it is the incredible depth of this game. It will also be rewarded for this in the following score… 9/10

Game Length- This game really never ends. You’ll be playing for months trying to collect every fish and bug to fill up your museum, Upgrade Tom Nook’s store and your home, collecting furniture for your house, keeping your neighbors by making your town look clean, buying as much clothing as you can, gathering trophies from fishing tournaments, donating money to less fortunate towns, and eventually, simply playing with your friends on Wi-fi. The list is endless. This is the perfect game to give a… 10/10.

Sound- The sound really is great. They even have voices for the animals. Unfortunately, it’s just gibberish but there tones match what they are apparently saying. It sounds great on the DS’s speakers. Other notable things are the tune that is always playing which is great and the songs that are played at the café on Saturday nights…9/10

Overall- This game is amazing. And that’s putting it lightly. If someone were to ask me about good DS games, this game would be #2, behind Mario Kart DS… 9/10

I can't wait for the Wii installment _D

*Btw, this might be the last review I post here so you may now cry... (I am using them for other purposes)*

Good review! I love AC and AC:WW. I can't wait for the Wii version to see if they use the Miis instead of the normal charcter person.

I've never played this, but it looks good. I've been thinking of getting it, but I am short on cash for, well, anything. Great review:D

Well, if you want to stop you could always give it to a sibling to hide for a week and then you won't feel like playing it anymore. I remember my brother was obsessed last year and his school had everyone give up electronics, but he convinced our mom to let him just play animal crossing.... lol

i don't play anymore... whenever i try to start again it's boring and i feel like i have too much to do. kinda like when i try playing runescape again...

Back