• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

External Hard Drive for Wii?

Dakare

Deus Ex Machina
I was bored since my brother was playing SPM, and decided to look into something that I'm hoping for:
An external hard drive for the Wii (My codename for it: Wii-drive)

I did some snooping on the internet and found several sources that say Nintendo has already had meetings by themselves and with third party developers about this hopeful accesory for the Wii. One such source is The Tanooki, with the article being found here: http://www.thetanooki.com/2007/03/17/rumor-external-hard-drive-for-the-wii/

I have my own guesses about the hard drive if it is real.
  • It'll probably only 10-20 GBs due to Nintendo's fear of video games being for rich people
  • It'll be USB (Obviously)
  • It'll hopefully match the Wii in color
  • It'll hopefully have a built in fan to keep your precious VC games safe
If anyone hears anything new, post it here.

EDIT: I also want to throw in that the Wii might also be getting DVD playback capabilities. It already has a DVD drive in it because the games are written in that format, so all it would be is software. Of course with the possibility of this and the hard drive, we might be getting a multimedia player, but this is all thinking aloud.

I actually have not heard anything about this. So, this is all news, good news, to me.

I'm just hoping it sells for some reasonable price, I'd rather not spend my life savings on a hard-drive.

EDIT: I also want to throw in that the Wii might also be getting DVD playback capabilities. It already has a DVD drive in it because the games are written in that format, so all it would be is software. Of course with the possibility of this and the hard drive, we might be getting a multimedia player, but this is all thinking aloud.
Weren't they talking about that 6 months ago when the wii came out?

The Wii uses 512mb of built in memory, or the equivalent to about 2200 blocks of memory card memory. The Wii OS and important channels are stored on a smaller internal memory, so the 512mb is used primarily for games, channels, and game saves.

Yes, and with rumors of Sega putting up Saturn games, combined with the upcoming 64 games, and the fact that the built in memory can only hold about 36ish games and you cannot run games off of the flash cards, this would be a wise move on Nintendo's part. Let's just hope they release it in North America as well. They tend to release awesome things like that in Japan, then decide not to release it in North America. Example: Nintendo 64 Disk Drive. And the Q. And the Gameboy Light. *Sigh* Japan gets all the best stuff.

The Wii uses 512mb of built in memory, or the equivalent to about 2200 blocks of memory card memory. The Wii OS and important channels are stored on a smaller internal memory, so the 512mb is used primarily for games, channels, and game saves.

I seeee, danke Bob. Yes, I can understand Nintendo wanting to release a hard drive (all the VC games coming out). It's very similiar to the problem microsoft had with all their downloadable content over xbox live. The 360 hard drive only holds 12 gigs! thats why they're releasing the 120 gig hard drive soon:) .

Back