• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Held Indefinitely WITHOUT CHARGE

Capt. Zeroth

Loftwing
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080524/ap_on_go_ot/enemy_combatant;_ylt=AgTEAvhNA3GUmX9U4FhHg6Ss0NUE
By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer Sat May 24, 12:13 PM ET

WASHINGTON - If his cell were at Guantanamo Bay, the prisoner would be just one of hundreds of suspected terrorists detained offshore, where the U.S. says the Constitution does not apply.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
pixel
b
b
b

But Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri is a U.S. resident being held in a South Carolina military brig; he is the only enemy combatant held on U.S. soil. That makes his case very different.
Al-Marri's capture six years ago might be the Bush administration's biggest domestic counterterrorism success story. Authorities say he was an al-Qaida sleeper agent living in middle America, researching poisonous gasses and plotting a cyberattack.
To justify holding him, the government claimed a broad interpretation of the president's wartime powers, one that goes beyond warrantless wiretapping or monitoring banking transactions. Government lawyers told federal judges that the president can send the military into any U.S. neighborhood, capture a citizen and hold him in prison without charge, indefinitely.
There is little middle ground between the two sides in al-Marri's case, which is before a federal appeals court in Virginia. The government says the president needs this power to keep the nation safe. Al-Marri's lawyers say that as long as the president can detain anyone he wants, nobody is safe.
:/ What do you guys think about this? Even if it is a terrorist, this could happen to any of us. I think its pretty ridiculous, and I'm surprised that more people aren;t angry about this.

This is why the PATRIOT Act sucks. To quote Benjamin Franklin: "He who would trade essential liberties for temporary securities deserves neither."

Doesn't the US Constitution cover all US territories as well including military bases under US control?

It's really things like this that make me really sick with some of the people running the US. We're no better than Saddam putting these individuals in off-shore prisons indefinably without a trial. Now, I have no problem with temporary containment because...well...if you're a suspected terrorist you know...but I find a major logic flaw when you keep them there without even setting a trial date! :mad:

Scary ...

This reminding anybody else about Rome. A nation that came to power underneath a foreign power, rebelled, became the dominate state, fell to imperialism, created a mighty empire, fell to vandals due to corruption within the senate.

Anyone?

Scary ...

This reminding anybody else about Rome. A nation that came to power underneath a foreign power, rebelled, became the dominate state, fell to imperialism, created a mighty empire, fell to vandals due to corruption within the senate.

Anyone?
Interesting idea, but it's a bit off. The fall of Rome was preceded by the splitting of the Empire long after the Senate became meaningless, and even then the western half of the empire had lost most economic importance. No, I think what this country needs is a good regime change...
16722921_400x400.jpg

Jk, but only barely...

Back