• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

How do YOU scan?

UltimaLink007

Hope Never Dies
I am only up at this time just to run scans on my computer to get rid of assorted c*** that is slowing my computer down. I just wanted to know what, if any, virus scanners people use, and how efficient are they. If they're really good, I might have to download them myself.

I currently use Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot - Search and Destroy. These are both excellent scanners and are available through download.com. If you do download one or both of these, MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE FREE VERSION!!! I am trying to help everyone's computers run better, and NO, these won't upload viruses onto your CPU!!!

If you have the money, by far the best is McAfee. You can easily scan individual files or any others you want. Also, there are multiple ad-ons for Mozilla Firefox (get it) like the Site Advisor. It is in the bottom right corner at all times in your browser. It is simple a small colored bar. If you are a virus full site, the meter is red, good is green, yellow is a possible danger. Another great tool tells you is a site is good or not before you click the link. With daily updates and a mega security center, there is no reason not to get this (except for the price).

I use Norton, as I have had some trouble with McAfee in the past. I'm not saying that it's bad, but that it doesn't like me. My computer choked and died when I first used it to scan.

I need money if I want to try other things, which I do not have, and I have Norton at my Dads.........It never does anything and it never works when I try it...............

Well, the sheer difficulty of using Norton and its complexness is kinda what I like about it. It offers tons of options for those tha can unravel its secrets.

I have the worst combination in the world, AOL and dial-up with the free AOL tools. They work, but I really need to stop my family from being so cheap!

In my opinion, Norton and Mcafee are both kinda bad for in-home. I had been using Norton (I still am on my computer) but my dad bought the Microsoft Careone which has antivirus, antispyware, and other stuff for about $50 per 3 computers. Anywho, if you want a good, free antisoyware download Microsoft's Defender at the homepage. I still have that and it works great with free updates, too.

From what I know of internet security, just about any Windows computer is vulnerable somewhere. The more security the better, but nothing's foolproof. Programs made directly by Windows tend to be buggy when I use them, and for security programs, bugs equal openings.

Back