• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Inferno Chat

Yes. This site need's Inferno! It's A LOT better than the Java Chatroom! So, please, its A LOT easier then waiting for Java too load! This is my first post, btw! :)

Java's so terrible I propose we switch to this "inferno" chatroom immediately, I don't care if it's worse.

I assume you're referring to an IRC chatroom.

We actually had an IRC chatroom after we used Flashchat, but the IRC room ended up being too cumbersome (we had it for about a month).

The basic neccesities for any chat program to run on ZS (in addition to actually working with U.S. laws and regulations) are the following:

1. Must be able to fully intergrate with our member database (meaning all permisions, etc). This is to prevent COPPA (children under 13) entering and ensure a safe environment for chatters (because I'm leagaly liable if a random creep pops up and I can't get rid of him/her).
  2. Must work accross multiple browsers, java works accross all browers whilst some browsers do not support IRC meaning a seprate program (such as Mirc) must be downloaded. Using the java plugin to connect to IRC is no different from using normal Java, so I don't see that as a loophole.
  3. Must be supported. If we have a problem, I need people ready to fix it.
  4. Must not have random ads.
  5. As blaintantly simple as possible for the end user (Addonchat is click and go, with IRC it requires learning comands, etc).
When IRC reaches that level I'll use IRC again. Until that point, well, yea :). If you guys can find a chat solution like that though feel free to post and I'll look into it.

Yeah, I don't care what we do, as long as its not our current chat. I can't believe you pay $100 a year for that, Bob.

Found it here.

Looks pretty cool, but it hasn't seen a stable supported version in 4 years (since VB 3.0.7...rather behind our 3.8.1). So, I really can't install it for threat of having the database implode on itself; that, and our host doesn't allow us to host a chatroom on our server (I should have added must be external to the list, sorry about that).

@ Zeroth:
I like our current setup; it performs everything on my list in addition to coming with really quick and helpful support. Other than the fact that it requires java, what's wrong with our chat client?

Its not even that its java. Theres just a thing or two that annoys me.

1. You pay money for it.
2. I SPENT THE PAST SUMMER PROGRAMMING AN RPG COMBAT ENGINE FOR AN IRC CHAT AND WE HAVEN'T USED IT BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO DOWNLOAD AN IRC CLIENT. You can embed a java irc chat client into a web page that automatically connects to a channel. Its not confusing.

Money isn't really a problem for me (well, $100 a year for what Addonchat offers is a bargain compared to other chat clients out there; Parachat for example charges $350 a month for what we get for $100 a year).

As far as IRC, you reiterated why we don't exactly use it...the whole downloading a client thing. If you remember, we did use an IRC service (Chatspike) a while ago that did connect with a java page. However, too many complained with things ranging from "Someone on the server registered my username" to "My java client won't let it load at all because I accidently didn't accept the security certificate". It was really just a pain all around...and I was contacted by...let's just say someone in the world to find a more secure chat platform.

I'm not trying to be evil or anything, and to be honest even though the price doesn't bother me I'd still rather not pay for something. However, at the present, this is the best we have for what we need (that and it works pretty darn well IMO...very customizable too...I don't think you'll find many chat solutions that allow you to insert the "epic fail" sound when someone is kicked:) ).

The sound is nice and all but it doesn't help me when my browser randomly can't load Java.

Oh also when Java randomly stops working and randomly kicks everyone out of the chatroom and randomly makes me want to eat my face off because of how frustrated I am.

And get rid of the idle timeout PLEASE

I don't know what's wrong with the chat we have now, works fine for me. Besides, the IRC chat pissed me off, some guy registered my name so I couldn't use it!

Back