• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Somewhat Controversial Lowering the Drinking age

Dakare

Deus Ex Machina
The minimum age for possession of alcohol in the US is currently 21 years of age. This does not ban minors (those under 21) from consuming alcohol, although most states have made it illegal to do so (http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/youthissues/1092767630.html).

The interesting thing, however, is that some college presidents are encouraging lawmakers to lower the drinking age to 18, including higher end schools such as Dartmouth (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20080818/College.Presidents.Drinking.Age/).

What is your take on this? Is it a good idea so that people know their limits earlier? Will it prevent binge drinking since it won't be illegal? Or is it too dangerous considering drunk driving accidents?

yea sure why not? minors do it anyway. drinking only becomes a problem when you have too much, in which case it is already illegal to operate a car or machinary. if ur allowed to go to war at 18, why can't you drink?

I don't think the problem here is the drinking age, I think it's the DUI penalties. They're not nearly penalizing enough. Take eastern Europe for example. The drinking age is 18 and isn't enforced nearly as strongly as it is in the States, yet the DUIs are much rarer (I apologize for not citing this, if anyone else can please do but I know this from personal experience) because the consequences will cause you much pain and anguish (not physically of course).

In all honesty, here's my take:

1. Make the drinking age 18 (I don't plan on ever drinking, but I honestly don't see the need to hold the age until 21. If you're an adult you're an adult + should hold the same responsibility.
  2. The following penalties should be set in place for DUI
    1. $10,000,000 fine.
    2. 25 years in prison without chance of parole until 20 years in.
    3. Loss of drivers license for life.
    4. Each year out of prison a requirement to participate in 800 hours a year for twenty years in programs educating youth about the dangers and consequences of DUI.
    5. If any additional offense is performed after release, prison for life without the possibility of parole and government seizing all finances and property under the individual's name.
  3. No, I'm not kidding and the penalties I've set are not too harsh. DUI is the most dangerous form of offense one can commit. You are putting not only yourself, but the lives of every single other person on the road in danger.

It does seem a bit harsh.

I think for the first offense it should be $500,000-1,000,000 fine, 6 months - 1 year in prison, loss of drivers license for 5-10 years (all depending on how bad it was).

Second offense should be 5 million fine, 20 years prison, and loss of drivers license for life.

First time is almost forgivable, I had to resist listing electric chair for the second offense.

In all honesty, here's my take:

1. Make the drinking age 18 (I don't plan on ever drinking, but I honestly don't see the need to hold the age until 21. If you're an adult you're an adult + should hold the same responsibility.
  2. The following penalties should be set in place for DUI
    1. $10,000,000 fine.
    2. 25 years in prison without chance of parole until 20 years in.
    3. Loss of drivers license for life.
    4. Each year out of prison a requirement to participate in 800 hours a year for twenty years in programs educating youth about the dangers and consequences of DUI.
    5. If any additional offense is performed after release, prison for life without the possibility of parole and government seizing all finances and property under the individual's name.
  3. No, I'm not kidding and the penalties I've set are not too harsh. DUI is the most dangerous form of offense one can commit. You are putting not only yourself, but the lives of every single other person on the road in danger.

Bob just completely owned the United States... I agree :D

Personally, I do not drink. Now that I mention it, I really hate alcohol, but that is beside the point. I really don't think a whole lot would change if the drinking age was lowered. The kids who were doing it illegally would just do it publicly. I don't think there would be an increase in drinking. In fact, it might actually decline. I remember studying the twenties in American History last year when they enforced prohibition. The number of people drinking rose incredibly, and I think it had something to do with wanting to defy the government. Ok, maybe that's crazy, but it sounds about right, doesn't it? I think the same thing would happen here now. If the drinking age were lowered, the number of drinking our-age-people would decline because there was nothing exciting or risky about it.
I also agree it's silly that at 18, you can drive, vote, and be blown up in a war but you aren't allowed to drink. Liriano brought up a good point.
However, putting all that aside, aren't there health reasons as to why the drinking age can't be lowered?
The biggest thing, I think, is that a person ought to know their limits. As much as everyone jokes about it, getting drunk is not cool. It's destructive. You ought to know when to stop. That may be why there is an age limit to begin with.

Read above^ too lazy to quote Ides.

If a thing is less illegal, less people will do it. Defying control is a large reason. In Europe, the kids learn that alcohol is bad, so they drink in moderation.

If they legalized pot, I believe less people will do it as well.

Read above^ too lazy to quote Ides.

If a thing is less illegal, less people will do it. Defying control is a large reason. In Europe, the kids learn that alcohol is bad, so they drink in moderation.

If they legalized pot, I believe less people will do it as well.
-_-
Don't count on it.
However, putting all that aside, aren't there health reasons as to why the drinking age can't be lowered?
Having one or two drinks of alcohol per day has been shown to increase overall health in the long term. Having more than two drinks a day often causes liver disease. Alcohol is labeled as a known carcinogen. Fetal alcohol syndrome is perhaps the worst outcome of drinking. It can also lead to cardiac arrhythmia or anemia. Alcoholism may cause hallucinations or delusions. Drinking alcohol moderately (one to two drinks a day) can help decrease your chances of getting coronary heart and vascular disease, as it helps blood flow. It often slows (and is sometimes said to prevent) rheumatoid arthritis and even diabetes. It lowers the chance of kidney stones and gallstones. It has also been seen that moderate drinkers have higher chances of surviving heart attacks and have a reduced risk of having a stroke. Moderate drinking can also resist the chance of developing dementia from cognition (in example, Alzheimer's disease). Alcoholic beverages are also used to treat minor tremors. On a smaller scale, it has also been known to help fortify against a cold.

As for youths, alcohol consumption can impair brain development, which is why I do support some form of drinking age. It can also cause antisocial behavior.

Wow guys, wish me luck in med school.

Back