• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Online ZS Wii Tourneys

animaldude

Sage in Training
I remember creating a thread about this a while ago... anyway when more online games come out for the Wii we can organize tournaments ^_^

Here's what I was thinking: we have one per month (each month it'll be a new game). People who have the game and are available at the time that the tournament is set to be played sign up in a special thread or something. We all exchange friend codes (ughh...) and someone can create a bracket. If someone doesn't show up they lose and their opponent moves on to the next round.

The winner can maybe have their custom rank title changed to *December Online Tournament Champion* or something...

So what do you guys think?

It's really more of a tech problem than anything else. Nintendo Wifi does not let you host tournaments, like Xbox Live does, so it would be difficult to keep track of everyone and to set up.

With the release of Brawl about a month from now, if we're going to give this a shot then we would probably want to start organizing now. If you feel like participating in something like this then post in this thread. It depends on how many people do it so if 4 people are participating it would probably be a series of 4 person free for alls. If we have 8 people doing it, we would have two groups of 4, and the top two from each game could battle it out in another brawl.

I think this is a good idea for Brawl, but we should give people some time due to shortages, in case some people can't get it at its release. I personally think that we should also give time for people to practice with the new characters.

It's really more of a tech problem than anything else. Nintendo Wifi does not let you host tournaments, like Xbox Live does, so it would be difficult to keep track of everyone and to set up.
Not really. You just post a thread for recruiting people, with the rules and such for people. Once you have enough people, you break them up depending on how you're doing the tournament, I would like (if I were in charge):

(Brawl as an example)

- 8/16 people
- Break up into 2/4 divisions of 4 people
- Ranking match (free for all in each division, Rank 1 = 1st place, etc.)
- 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 in each division; winners face off
- If 2 divisions, Final round; if 4, another ranking match and repeat, having the losers fight as well
- Matches should start either at the beginning/middle of April, or late June/Early July if school interferes with enough people (unless everyone has a spring break in the same week, thus April); This gives time for practice, to get the game, and to unlock everyone.

See? You just need organization, and enough time to gather people.

First of all (to Ultima): What? I'm sorry, I guess I'm just simple-minded, but your orginization is confusing.

Second of all, I think Bob was talking about the fact that we would need to exchange friend codes, and that would just be annoying.

Third of all, doesn't Brawl have a build in tournament bracket?

This would also require everyone being in the chatroom at once so we can further keep everything organized. I don't know if the chatroom could take that much action at once though... lol

Yeah melee has a tournament feature so i don't see why Brawl's online mode doesn't. Here's what I don't get. Bob has implemented a rule where we can't post friend codes in a public thread. I don't understand that rule because we can't be spammed by random people unless we registered their friend codes. If we had a thread to post our friend codes in, it wouldn't be a pain to exchange through PMs, etc.

Nice avy, ultima. First change of that thing I've seen in a year. Is that advance wars? (I'm probably wrong)

Wii points is a great idea but how? Maybe we can bet posts though.

First of all (to Ultima): What? I'm sorry, I guess I'm just simple-minded, but your orginization is confusing.

Second of all, I think Bob was talking about the fact that we would need to exchange friend codes, and that would just be annoying.

Third of all, doesn't Brawl have a build in tournament bracket?
It's simple...-_-

Can you do tournaments on Wifi with Brawl without personal organization? Does it have the brackets, or is that only if everyone packed into someone's house?

My organization was:

Division 1
1 vs 4
2 vs 3
Winner (1 vs 4) vs Winner (2 vs 3)

Division 2
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Division 3
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Division 4
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Final rounds (winners of divisions after a free for all ranking match)
1 vs 4
2 vs 3
Winner (1 vs 4) vs Winner (2 vs 3) = Tournament winner

@Animal: Yeah, it's Hawke from AW 2, because he's the most badass AW guy ever.

As for Wii points, the winner selects a VC they want I guess and the donator (Me, if Bob lets me) gifts it to them? Or can you donate points now too?

I like it, but I'd much rather have 4 player games. We could always do it this way:

Division 1-
4 man brawl over, and over until 2 people win 3 games.
These two move on...

Division 2-
These two move on....

Final Game-
The first to win 3 games wins.

I like my post betting idea. I REALLLY REALLLY LIKE IT.

I like it, but I'd much rather have 4 player games. We could always do it this way:

Division 1-
These two move on...

Division 2-
These two move on....

Final Game-
The first to win 3 games wins.
But... I like 2-player games, they test skill much more...;_; I think whenever Bob says someone can host it, or he does himself, there should be a poll to see whether more people want 2 or 4 player matches...

But... I like 2-player games, they test skill much more...;_; I think whenever Bob says someone can host it, or he does himself, there should be a poll to see whether more people want 2 or 4 player matches...
I don't know about everybody else, but I agree with the 1v1. I know that I personally would (almost) never participate in a 4-person battle royale. Too much luck involved than skill.

The tournament organization would need to be on this site. I do not believe that a large wi-fi competition is practical/possible, and a more public form of display would work better.

A tournament board is currently being perused as a formalized addition, and will probably come about shortly after the release of Brawl.

1 vs 1 Battles are the best. I could help organize the thing. The only problem is that we would have to give out our Wii Addresses.

As for Wii Points, no Buy Inn, as the Capt. suggested, but the winner doesn't get anything either. Instead, they get a fancy banner saying "Brawl Champion" until the next tournament.

Good Idea, no?

I like the posts idea better, the banner would be nice to go along with it but if that's all the winner gets, that's kind of lame. As for 1v1 or FFA... 4 player FFA's are what makes Brawl, Brawl. I mean I'm pretty sure brawls are more than two people. And luck is what makes a game fun. Without luck, then the same guy will win every tourney.

...that was touching...

1 vs 1 Battles are the best. I could help organize the thing. The only problem is that we would have to give out our Wii Addresses.
If we wanted to do ANYTHING concerning a Tournament, we'd have to give them out. This could also be done via PM, and you delete the person's FC after the tournament it done. So that shouldn't be a problem...

EDIT: Also, I was thinking no items, and best 2/3 to minimize the chances of luck wins/advances. No smash balls either, if someone really has the burning desire to play ZS Samus, then just hold 'R' (GCN controller).

I would be willing to buy the winner a VC of their choice. So I weould like that to be a first place prize.

@Animal: Luck happens, but Wouldn't you rather win by skill than luck? People improve, and people get rusty, so if the same person wins more than one tournament in a row, just keep trying harder and harder to improve. :)

I like the posts idea better, the banner would be nice to go along with it but if that's all the winner gets, that's kind of lame. As for 1v1 or FFA... 4 player FFA's are what makes Brawl, Brawl. I mean I'm pretty sure brawls are more than two people. And luck is what makes a game fun. Without luck, then the same guy will win every tourney.

...that was touching...
Not a the high levels they don't. Adaptation and analysis of opponent's play style is my specialty. The more games between two people, the successively closer they get.

I could potentially bring myself to play in a 4-way but I would strongly oppose any meaningful reward for victory. Luck is just that: luck.

Did anyone read my post before? This friend code issue isn't an issue at all. Use this easy-to-follow guide on how to do this:

1. Grab Paper
  2. Grab Pen
  3. Grab Wii
  4. Insert Brawl Disc
  5. Go to Wi-Fi Info
  6. Write Down the Friend Code Number Shown
  7. Grab Computer
  8. Type in www.zeldasages.com
  9. And exchange friend codes with other people who performed the steps instructed on my guide.
Now friend codes shouldn't be an issue to exchange through a public forum, and could save a lot of time too rather than PMs. It's also easier. I'm not going to explain how that saves time and is easier... if you use common sense you should be able to figure it out. Now in order to recieve a message from another wii system both systems have to have the other systems friend code registered in the friends list, so therefore... it shouldn't be a problem and I ask that Bob repeals his ban on this.

Edit: Still though, I think your overlooking the factor of "funness" that we'd be removing from these games if we're making them less Brawlish. That's the reason I wanted to do this tournament. For fun.

Back