• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Reputation/Karma-ish idea?

Capt. Zeroth

Loftwing
How about we introduce a karma-ish thing (as described in a previous suggestion) except a little different? Maybe a mute trivia winner, or a genereal do-gooder can be rewarded with a little zelda-like heart under their name? They can have multiple added or subtracted. You can only get a heart if a an Admin or Mods gives you one. Its like a little award. Or you could have one subtracted if you are a jerk or spam. This eliminates the problem of common abuse, but you can still see who is a good member.

And if you're a bad member you can get diseased blue straining dying hearts.

But we have to make sure only responsible staff members get the ability to give these. Many of them hold grudges...

I think it's a good idea.

And yoyolll, just a piece of advice, if ya didn't do so many bad things, people wouldn't have a grudge against you...

The worst thing I did was like calling Justin a dipshit and other things like that (and I'm allowed to do that, just some personal stuff), you make it sound like I steal booze or something.

And I deserve some red hearts. Just think: if I wasn't here how boring would it be??

Bob, I still haven't gotten opinion i this. I think it would be a great way to reward people.

Alt. Idea: You could be rewarded Rupees

I never really liked Karma systems. In almost everyone community I have been a part of with this feature enabled their was a massive amount of missuse. People with higher karma power would at times missuse their power to lower the ranking of someone who really does not deserve for their karma to be lowered. It's a great idea to place the ability only in the hands of staff, but then you have the staff being the only body handing out points, which is a bit tedious and adds just another level of tasks to be done, evaluate every post everyone makes and award or take away points. Really, the concept would get old after a few weeks or so. I just really don't see it making good community-sense...if that makes sense.

Besides, you'll be getting a boatload full of shiny new features in a month or so that will dramatically enhance the community anyway ;).

However, as far as adding hearts, there are ways I can implement that other than Karma. I can use the ranking system for example to show a certain number of hearts after a certain number of posts, etc.

webmasterbob said:
Besides, you'll be getting a boatload full of shiny new features in a month or so that will dramatically enhance the community anyway ;).

However, as far as adding hearts, there are ways I can implement that other than Karma. I can use the ranking system for example to show a certain number of hearts after a certain number of posts, etc.

We'll be getting a shiny boatload of what? :D

Yes, I like the idea of other uses for the hearts, but my original intent was for it to be used as a separate rank than posts and groups.

It would be nifty to implement it as a secondary rank. Sometimes it takes a long time to get to the next rank, so it would be cool to see your posts going to something.

Things are being added, there are still bugs found, things of the sort. Any new large-scale system requires a rather large amount of tweaking. It could be less than a month, who knows :D.

I'll see what I can do with hearts, experiments here and there and the such. I'm not exactly sure how one would apply them other than posts, but whatever can work. Maybe what I can do is make separate heart colors or styles *like NES style hearts, N64 style, etc* that will increase up until you reach a new rank or group change. When you change, your hearts change and reset. So, it would kinda be a like a progress meeter. That's just one idea I can come up with that might actually be pretty cool :).

I think you should figure out some way to be able to choose the heart design/style. But other than that, using it as a progress meter would be cool.

Or, could you have karma added like post count, and the longer the post the more karma you get per post? If so, you should use it like that.

Ithink you should start with 3 move up from NES to SNES to N64 to GC to Wii and add then move up to 4 hearts

so it's like Privt. PFC and stuff like that

I like the heart idea, pleasue don't put in a karma system though! Every forum I've ever been to someone abuses the system (or a bunch of people) and everything goes to Hell.

I like the heart idea, pleasue don't put in a karma system though! Every forum I've ever been to someone abuses the system (or a bunch of people) and everything goes to Hell.
Well I don't see the system being abused if it's given like permission to someone who is trusted and has like 1000 posts...
but yeah, ill let it go. I've never experienced a karma system out of control being this is basically the only forum I use actively.

Then you have complete control of someone's status in the hands of people who could potentially be spammers, etc. That, and there may not be a surplus of high ranked people, so alot of us would be without any karma. I've seen karma systems come and either continue badly or perish after the first few months simply because people started to hate them. There's always that one person that screws it up.

Of course, if Bob wants to do it he can...I just don't recommend it. If anything, I like that progressive heart idea as an in-between between moving groups. I know I'd love to be able to see some progress mark for myself.

Hey, dynamite solution: only webmaster gets to give "link hearts". Or straining blue hearts with veins popping out. I like that.

Maybe a heart for every 100 posts or something. That would equal the full twenty by 2000 posts, which is well past Knight of Hyrule, but before the hidden rank.

I personally don't think the karma would work too well, regardless of wether the power is put in the hands of the staff or not.

Back