• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Texas police raid gay bar, assault patrons

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/06/29/stonewall-texas/

By Amanda Terkel on Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:22 pm
Police raid a gay bar in Texas on the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising.

Shortly after midnight on Sunday, police raided a gay bar in Fort Worth, TX, and arrested seven customers for public intoxication. (One man was reportedly taken to the hospital “with bleeding in his brain after officers threw him to the ground and used zip-ties to handcuff him.”) Police said they were simply conducting an “alcohol beverage code inspection” when several customers made sexual advances toward the officers. However, the owner of the Rainbow Lounge, J.R. Schrock, said that claim was a “lie.” “The groping of the police officer — really? We’re gay, but we’re not dumb,” Schrock said. Todd Camp, the founder of Q Cinema and former reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, was at the Rainbow Lounge when the police showed up:
“I have friends who are cops and I know what to do when officers are working,” Camp said. “No one was acting aggressive to officers.
Camp said that he has been attending bars for years in Fort Worth when TABC conducts raids.
Usually, they’re very orderly and respectful –- they work with the bar staff and check IDs, it’s quick and painless and then it’s over and then they’re out,” Camp said. “This was not that. This was harassment, plain and simple.
The Rainbow Lounge incident came on the 40th anniversary of the famous Stonewall uprising that sparked the modern LGBT movement, when police also raided a gay bar in New York City. Today, protesters rallied in downtown Forth Worth over the weekend’s raid. (HT: Pam’s House Blend)

Not that long ago, I engaged in a debate with a person who essentially said, 'What's the harm in letting some federally funded organizations openly discriminate against gay people?' In response I would say that allowing, defending, and encouraging bigotry at that level contributes greatly to an atmosphere where gay and lesbians people at viewed and treated as subhumans. The justifications for precluding gays from these organizations are built primarily as attacks on character, and need little retooling to become justifications for denial of basic human rights, or outright assault.

I was in Texas three days ago visiting my cousin and I can tell you this doesn't surprise me at all. You wouldn't think Texas is that stereotypically southern but so many of the people are exactly how they are portrayed on an episode of Family Guy or the Simpsons. Honestly, this is the way Texas is and it's gonna take a LOT to turn it around. The smartest thing the gays and lesbians there could do would be to leave to a more liberal state. Texas has no intention of changing.

Back