• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Vermont Legislature Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040701663_Comments.html

In some ways, this surprises me more than the Iowa ruling. I’ve been following the legislative battle in Vermont, but when the Governor vetoed it, I thought that was the end of things for at least the immediate future. The fact that they managed to overturn the veto and pass this through the legislature instead of the courts genuinely shocked me.

With this coming immediately after the Iowa ruling, we may be seeing the metaphorical damns breaking with regards to gay marriage. Over the next few years, we may see a majority of the states allowing gay marriage. The article linked, mentions that New Hampshire, Maine, and New Jersey also have similar bills making their way through their legislatures. Like other social issues in the past, passing in the first few states is often the hardest part, and the momentum of the issue will likely lead to success in many other states. I personally predict that over the next several years, the majority of states will end up allowing gay marriage, with the obvious exception of those in the Deep South, who, like always, will likely practice legal discrimination up until the point where the federal government forces them to stop.

"The arc of history is long but bends towards justice."

Same here on the domino effect. It'll only be a matter of time...

Unfortunately, ImprobabilityDrive, your comment about the deep south is right. Poeple here are almost crazy in the fight to keep gay marriage illegal.

Back