• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Why Connect to WiiConnect24?

Alright, so, I've had my Wii since last July, and I want to connect it to WiiConnect24 so I can get Virtual Console games, and so I can play online multiplayer. The thing is, the Wii is my brothers and my parents are totally convinced that if we connect the Wii, it's going to get viruses and there isn't a point to it.

So, I ask you, the wonderful people of Zelda Sages, what can I tell my brother and parents so I can connect my Wii? Please help!

The Wii is really not prone to any form of virus. Several factors help keep the Wii virus free including:
  • The Wii runs off its own custom made operating system.
  • With the exception of using the internet channel, the Wii only connects to Nintendo's servers. Nintendo would not put any form of virus on your Wii ;).
  • Even with the internet channel, Nintendo makes use of their own versions of java and flash in addition to having active x completely disabled and not allowing file downloads. Essentially, nothing will be coming through.
  • No one is dedicated enough to make a virus to destroy your Wii. People who make viruses are more concerned with destroying your life, not your leisure activities.
  • Even if someone were to make a virus there is little chance it can get on your Wii, if any really. Your Wii is far more protected than Windows XP after all.
Essentially, it's perfectly safe.

-Or do they mean getting WiFi or a wireless Internet router? That is, in which case it is no different than having a wired connection as long as you have the proper security options set. (Which are done by default.)

Gah... I have so many problems with my Wii's online that I'm worrying it will effect my Brawl experiences. I have MoH2 for Wii and I played that online a lot, but it always disconnected in the middle of a game. My guess is it had something to do with 32 players at once, so maybe Brawl won't be so much of a problem. I know why it happens, the thing is that I have the worst router in the world and it even likes to disconnect on me when I'm using my lap top. And using my DS online sucks too because everything on the router needs to be on the perfect settings for it to work which kind of messes everything else up in my house. Well, enough ranting about my router.

The only downside to my WiiConnect24 is that I like to keep it on all night, and out of the around 16 months I've had my Wii, probably only 2-3 of those months has it been completely off. So now it like to make loud noises when I play it, and I bought a fan for it... which makes it louder. But whatever...

As for your virus worries... I use the internet channel on that thing so much and I've yet to notice a virus in my Wii. I mean, aside from some strange things it does, it doesn't seem like it's effected. That should be a result of age/ use.

Gah... I have so many problems with my Wii's online that I'm worrying it will effect my Brawl experiences. I have MoH2 for Wii and I played that online a lot, but it always disconnected in the middle of a game. My guess is it had something to do with 32 players at once, so maybe Brawl won't be so much of a problem. I know why it happens, the thing is that I have the worst router in the world and it even likes to disconnect on me when I'm using my lap top. And using my DS online sucks too because everything on the router needs to be on the perfect settings for it to work which kind of messes everything else up in my house. Well, enough ranting about my router.

The only downside to my WiiConnect24 is that I like to keep it on all night, and out of the around 16 months I've had my Wii, probably only 2-3 of those months has it been completely off. So now it like to make loud noises when I play it, and I bought a fan for it... which makes it louder. But whatever...

As for your virus worries... I use the internet channel on that thing so much and I've yet to notice a virus in my Wii. I mean, aside from some strange things it does, it doesn't seem like it's effected. That should be a result of age/ use.

I've never had any of those problems. My Wii is silent and sweet. Brawl should not be an issue, MoH2 is much more possessor intensive.

Just an off-topic since Animal was talking about playing online: Has everyone heard about Nintendo's new Pay to Play service that's going to come out? Now it's gonna be like X-Box Live...

But, yeah, no risks about viruses. Even if there are Wii viruses, you won't need to worry about them if you go to safe sites. And it doesn't slow your home network down either. Or at least it hasn't done that for me.

Just an off-topic since Animal was talking about playing online: Has everyone heard about Nintendo's new Pay to Play service that's going to come out? Now it's gonna be like X-Box Live...

But, yeah, no risks about viruses. Even if there are Wii viruses, you won't need to worry about them if you go to safe sites. And it doesn't slow your home network down either. Or at least it hasn't done that for me.
Yeah that's what I posted the link to.

Hmm... I was thinking the WiiConnect24 and Wi-Fi Play was the same... but still, there both online wii. Might as well discuss it here...

WiiConnect24 is more for passive things, such as sending messages, friend vouchers, etc. Nintendo Wifi is for playing games online, such as Mario Kart, GH III, things like that. I hope that explains it.

...The thing is, the Wii is my brothers and my parents are totally convinced that if we connect the Wii, it's going to get viruses and there isn't a point to it.

So, I ask you, the wonderful people of Zelda Sages, what can I tell my brother and parents so I can connect my Wii? Please help!

Wait, the Wii is your brothers and he doesn't want to connect it to Connect24?

Wait, the Wii is your brothers and he doesn't want to connect it to Connect24?
I hate it when that kind of thing happens. People don't understand that there Wiis would be 20x better if it were connected to the internet but they are just too lazy to do it.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I am very slowly winning my brother over...but very, very slowly....

And animaldude, my brother isn't lazy, he's just terrified that something is going to go horribly wrong.

There's a difference between Wifi and Connect24? I thought you had to have Connect24 to have Wifi...

Wikipedia said:
Wi-Fi (pronounced wye fye, IPA: /ˈwaɪfaɪ/), a wireless-technology brand owned by the Wi-Fi Alliance, promotes standards with the aim of improving the interoperability of wireless local area network products based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. Common applications for Wi-Fi include Internet and VoIP phone access, gaming, and network connectivity for consumer electronics such as televisions, DVD players, and digital cameras.
Wikipedia said:
WiiConnect24 is a feature of the Wii console first announced at E3 2006 by Nintendo.[1] It enables some of the system's features to work while the console is on stand-by; for example, a friend might be able to visit another player's town and leave that player messages in Animal Crossing without him or her being present. WiiConnect24 is sometimes confused with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which is used to provide online gameplay over Nintendo's servers. Online gameplay titles for the Wii are able to make use of both the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service and WiiConnect24.

WiFi is just a form of wireless Internet communication. WiiConnect24 uses WiFi to connect to the Internet. :D

PS: Check this thread on Nintendo's website about your situation: http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/message?board.id=wii_internet&thread.id=2363

YES!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

And of course, thank you to everyone else who posted here. You are all awesome people! :D

Back