• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Wii and DS sales statistics

UltimaLink007

Hope Never Dies
I read the Wall Street Journal today, and saw an article about the Wii. Nintendo was HEAVILY underestimated, so now designers are struggling to create wii games, due to phenomenal sales. I quote from the article:

"But against the odds, Nintendo has become the company to beat in the games business, as the Wii flies off store shelves nearly as quickly as the company can make them. The buzz about the Wii has overshadowed the even greater success Nintendo has had with the Nintendo DS, a portable game player that is still selling briskly more than two years after it's introduction."

Here are the sales figures from the same article:

Nintendo DS - 485,000 units
Nintendo Wii - 335,000 units
Xbox 360 - 228,000 units
Playstation Portable - 176,000 units
Playstation 3 - 127,000 units

As you can see, Nintendo is blowing away the competition, and still going strong, both with the DS and the Wii. Any comments?

That is pretty sweet. That is why I think Sega should expand their VC selection to include Master System, Disc Drive, 32x, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

Here's the online article:

Wii and DS Turn Also-Ran Nintendo
Into Winner in Videogames Business

By NICK WINGFIELD and YUKARI IWATANI KANE
April 19, 2007; Page B1

A year ago, Nintendo Co. looked like the videogame industry's biggest also-ran.
The Japanese company's new game console, due out in time for the holidays, was a technological laggard compared with more-powerful systems from Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp. And the machine's goofy name -- Wii (pronounced "we") -- earned it ridicule from some game fans and critics. Nintendo's dominance of the portable-game market, meanwhile, was under assault by a new product from Sony.
But against the odds, Nintendo has become the company to beat in the games business, as the Wii flies off store shelves nearly as quickly as the company can make them. The buzz about the Wii has overshadowed the even greater success Nintendo has had with the Nintendo DS, a portable game player that is still selling briskly more than two years after its introduction.
The Kyoto-based company's unexpected strength is prompting broader changes throughout the industry as game makers that were caught off guard by Nintendo's strength -- including powerhouses like Electronic Arts Inc., the world's largest publisher of games -- hurry to beef up development of games that take better advantage of Nintendo hardware. "This has been a honeymoon with consumers like Nintendo hasn't had in a decade or more," says John Taylor, a veteran games analyst at Arcadia Investment Corp. in Portland, Ore.
AI-AI776_NINTEN_20070418154833.gif

Nintendo's strength underscores how transitions to new generations of game consoles, an event that occurs every five years or so in the industry, can shake up the existing balance of power among hardware makers. Nintendo dominated the industry during the 1980s and early '90s, with hardware like the Nintendo Entertainment System and iconic game characters like Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers. The company, founded over 100 years ago as a maker of traditional Japanese playing cards, eventually lost its leadership in consoles to rivals, finishing in third place with its GameCube system behind Sony and Microsoft in the last wave of game hardware.
"I would say that this time last year, people were underestimating or discounting us pretty universally throughout the industry," says George Harrison, senior vice president of marketing for Nintendo's U.S. division.
But since going on sale in November, the Wii has become the hottest-selling product among the latest generation of game consoles designed to be hooked up to TV sets, a group that also includes Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360. The product lacks the ability to produce sophisticated graphics on par with the Sony and Microsoft machines. But it has an innovative motion-sensing game controller that lets players swing tennis rackets, golf clubs and swords within games. The Nintendo console's $249 price, too, has made it more appealing to some consumers than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, which start at $299 and $599, respectively.
In February, U.S. retailers sold 335,000 Wiis, compared with 228,000 Xbox 360s and 127,000 PlayStation 3s, according to NPD Group Inc., a sales-tracking firm in Port Washington, N.Y. Microsoft, of Redmond, Wash., still leads the overall market with more than 10 million Xbox 360s shipped to retailers world-wide since it went on sale in November 2005, a year earlier than the Wii and PS3.
It isn't clear how durable Nintendo's current momentum will be with the Wii. An array of coming titles this year based on blockbuster game franchises could give big boosts to the Sony and Microsoft machines, including Take-Two Interactive Software Inc.'s Grand Theft Auto IV and Microsoft's Halo 3.
At EA, based in Redwood City, Calif., executives concede that Nintendo sold more consoles than they expected over the holidays. "Luckily for us, because of our scale and scope, we've got the ability to adjust pretty quickly and deploy some additional development teams," Executive Chairman Lawrence Probst said in an interview in February.
To take better advantage of the Wii's growth, EA moved quickly to ramp up game production for the system, acquiring Headgate Studios, a developer in Utah focused entirely on making titles for Nintendo hardware, and shifting resources in other EA development groups to Nintendo projects. The company released four titles for the Wii in March, including a version of its Tiger Woods golf game in which players swing the Wii controller like a club. EA is also working on a line of consumer guides for the Nintendo DS that will be aimed at older players in Japan.
Majesco Entertainment Inc., a small publisher in Edison, N.J., is betting the farm on Nintendo's success. Majesco found itself increasingly unable to compete with deep-pocketed rivals to create the splashiest games for PS3 and Xbox 360, for which budgets can run in the $10 million to $30 million range.
AI-AI777_NINTEN_20070418155232.gif

Simpler games for the Nintendo DS and Wii, in contrast, can cost under $2 million and $5 million, respectively, to make and can be completed far more quickly than titles for PS3 and Xbox 360.
Late last year, Majesco said it would focus nearly all of its development efforts in the future on Nintendo DS and Wii games. One of the first titles it published was a version of a Japanese game called Cooking Mama that lets players practice virtual culinary skills.
Jesse Sutton, interim president and chief executive officer of Majesco, says Nintendo is targeting its hardware at the fastest growing audience in the games business -- "casual" gamers who are more interested in fun, simple games rather than the deeply immersive titles that most hard-core gamers prefer.
Nintendo's performance in the portable-games business is causing similar ripples. The company long dominated portable-games hardware with the GameBoy. Its strength seemed in jeopardy, though, when Sony introduced the PlayStation Portable, or PSP, in late 2004 -- a more powerful portable machine with a dazzling screen on which users could also watch movies -- to compete with Nintendo DS, which lets users play games through a touch-sensitive screen.
Analysts believe Nintendo has largely vanquished the PSP threat. Nintendo has shipped more than 35 million DSs world-wide to Sony's 25 million PSPs. Recently, Sony cut the price of the PSP in the U.S. to $169 from $199 to help boost sales. The Nintendo DS sells for $130.
The popularity of DS has affected strategy for hard-core game publishers like Square Enix Co., the creator of the popular Final Fantasy role-playing game series. While Square Enix is planning to launch several titles for the PSP this year, it currently has more than twice as many existing and planned titles for DS than for PSP, including travel guidebooks and a gardening tutorial.
Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada says he realized the need for nontraditional games about a year ago when he saw how well a Nintendo brain-training game was selling. "We anticipated that portable games would take off before next-generation consoles," says Mr. Wada. "What we didn't expect was that the DS would attract new users who use the device in a brand new way."

it doesn't susprise me that nintendo is in the lead, first of all, their systems USUALLY have few or no glitches. second, they sell thir better products at a lower cost so it all comes down to: do you want a $250 Wii, a $5-600 PS3, a $3-400 XBox 360, a $125-$150 DS, or a $170 PSP?
and nintendo wins hands down

Your forgetting one thing. As of now, the PS2 is still above all of the 7th Generation Consoles, but is actually below the DS.

i contributed to future numbers by buying a ds lite yesterday :D

that's because my old one was falling apart -_-

but omg the things is so shiny... it blinded me when i took it out of the box and im having a lot of fun playing pokemon pearl with it ;)

Your forgetting one thing. As of now, the PS2 is still above all of the 7th Generation Consoles, but is actually below the DS.

Yes, BUT!!! These are stats JUST FOR the next gen consoles, which is why the previous generation consoles. Also, the PS2 has been out for 6-7 years, while these have only been out for 5 months, + 1 year for the 360.

i contributed to future numbers by buying a ds lite yesterday :D

that's because my old one was falling apart -_-

but omg the things is so shiny... it blinded me when i took it out of the box and im having a lot of fun playing pokemon pearl with it ;)

DIAMOND OWNZ PEARL!!! well, I think it does anyway :p I need to set up a Wi-fi thingie...

Yes, BUT!!! These are stats JUST FOR the next gen consoles, which is why the previous generation consoles. Also, the PS2 has been out for 6-7 years, while these have only been out for 5 months, + 1 year for the 360.

DIAMOND OWNZ PEARL!!! well, I think it does anyway :p I need to set up a Wi-fi thingie...
i got pearl because my brother got diamond
it's pretty scary that the 360 is still selling that many units when it has been out for a year more than the other consoles...

Back