• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Windows Command Prompt

yoyolll

Conspiracy Theorist
We all know messing around on the command prompt pretending to be hacking is really really really fun, but I'm sure everyone PC here has wondered the exact extent of things you can do in the prompt.

I won't be calling it DOS because even though Microsoft hasn't been careful to show it, they are two different things.

You can go to wikipedia, you can search google, or even windows support, but you can never seem to find a complete list of windows command prompt commands.

Here are some good websites for the commands:
http://commandwindows.com/
Plain Old Wikipedia
Huh, I can't find the Microsoft support page for it, but both of those are a great help.

There is a HUGE list of commands for the prompt and I wish someone could find a complete list.

There are also batch files, which are really fun to use and in many instances can save you some time.

There is a program called "PowerPrompt" which opens up command prompt in the SYSTEM account. It was designed for overriding viruses that may lock you out of some parts and programs on your computer, but you need to be on an administrator account to access it. If anyone knows how this program works please post something about it.

Discuss.

Speaking as one who has actually been nailed by The Man for "downloading malicious software" ("I didn't download that malicious software! I wrote it!"), I must say that batch files are immensely useful. They are quite difficult to block using a blanket filter, and the sheer volume of alternative ways to execute the same command makes even targeted firewalls chancy. As an added bonus, no filter under the sun blocks Notepad (the basic one, NOT Wordpad), which is actually the best program for writing batch files.

P.S. Advice to would-be-hackers: first rule of hacking - clean out your old batch files regularly. Second rule of hacking - sysadmins do NOT have a sense of humor and will NOT laugh at a file named 'Databomb' that opens an endless series of error messages.

P.P.S. @ zerg006: does 12345 still work? And is our deal for the end of the year still on?

Remember the number one hacking rule: Don't be an idiot.

All too many times I've seen people revoked of computer privileges, mainly at school for doing really stupid stuff. Like sending network messages that say, "I like cheese!" Now in most cases, a little fooling around is okay, but when you forget to use net send file, thats another case. Hacking on a school computer is completely pointless unless you have a motive, and its too easy to get caught. IE, changing your grades. This will get you in more trouble. Even if you do it without getting caught, somewhere things wont match up and a problem will be found.

The only out of the ordinary files I have on my school computer are a few vbscripts and TSearch.

If you guys want I can post a tutorial on coding vbscripts or using TSearch. VBScripts are small scripts you can write in Notepad that can do mostly silly things like constantly toggle CAPS lock. "iT FoRceS yoU To TYpE lIkE tHiS!" But it has other practical uses, too. TSearch is a memory editor. Its good to use for things like hacking health or scores in games.

Remember the number one hacking rule: Don't be an idiot.

All too many times I've seen people revoked of computer privileges, mainly at school for doing really stupid stuff. Like sending network messages that say, "I like cheese!" Now in most cases, a little fooling around is okay, but when you forget to use net send file, thats another case. Hacking on a school computer is completely pointless unless you have a motive, and its too easy to get caught. IE, changing your grades. This will get you in more trouble. Even if you do it without getting caught, somewhere things wont match up and a problem will be found.

The only out of the ordinary files I have on my school computer are a few vbscripts and TSearch.

If you guys want I can post a tutorial on coding vbscripts or using TSearch. VBScripts are small scripts you can write in Notepad that can do mostly silly things like constantly toggle CAPS lock. "iT FoRceS yoU To TYpE lIkE tHiS!" But it has other practical uses, too. TSearch is a memory editor. Its good to use for things like hacking health or scores in games.
Tell me more about VBS and TSearch.

I haven't actually done anything on others' computers except snoop around a bit. I have batch files on my flash drive but none that can be called a "virus".

And let's refrain from calling it "hacking", that term won't go well with Big Brother reading our conversations.

How To Write and Use VBScripts
a quick guide to Visual Basic Scripts

What is VBS?
Wikipedia said:
VBScript can be used to create applications that run directly on a person's computer running Microsoft Windows. The simplest example of this is a script that makes use of the Windows Script Host (WSH) environment. Such a script is usually in a stand-alone file with the file extension .vbs. The script can be invoked in two ways. Wscript.exe is used to display output and receive input in through a GUI, such as dialog and input boxes. Cscript.exe is used in a command line environment.
In simpler put terms, if you have a Windows operating system and notepad, you can write VBS. VBS applications are mainly used for for simple applications like time/date, math, user interaction, and error handling. In this guide we will be using VBS to write little scripts designed to harmlessly annoy people.

How do I code VBS?
I'm glad you asked! Firsts, you must have a Windows computer and a text editor, such as Notepad.

Open up Notepad. Most VBScripts you want to code will start with this:
Code:
Set wshShell = wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
This will show your VBS in "processes" tab in the Task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) as "Wscript.exe" . Note: If you ever need to end an infinitely looping VBS, end that process.

At this point, you VBS does nothing. Take a look at this code:
Code:
MsgBox"Warning! User error, Please replace user and try again.",5,"User Error"
Place this code in a text file and save it as "filename.vbs" . Make sure you save it as filename.vbs and not filename.vbs.txt by changing the "file type" to "All Files." When you run this, it will give you a pop up massage. The first parameter in quotes is the message, the second parameter (the number) defines what type of buttons to place on the pop up. And the last parameter is the title of the pop up. Try replacing the 5 with one of these numbers:
0 = OK
1 = OK, Cancel
2 = Abort, Retry, Ignore
3 = Yes, No, Cancel
4 = Yes, No
5 = Retry, Cancel

You can also just use this if you want a simple pop up with just an okay button:
Code:
MsgBox"Your message here."
I can see now that your mind is already bursting with the possibilities of VBS! :D Lets try another simple code. Note: The lines with a ' followed by text are code comments. They do not effect the code at all.
Code:
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run "notepad"
' Open a new Notepad
WScript.Sleep 100
' Pause for 100 milliseconds or 1 tenth of a second
WshShell.AppActivate "Notepad"
' Focus the screen on Notepad
WshShell.SendKeys "Ahh! Its a ghost!"
' Automatically type
The code explains itself in the comments. Save this as a .vbs and run it.
" WshShell.Run "notepad"" runs notepad.exe. Try other files, like iexplore.exe. Also note that the line "WScript.Sleep 100" lets Notepad open before continuing. The 100 means 100 milliseconds. There are 1000 milliseconds in 1 second.

Lets try another. ThiS CoDE cONstAntly tOggLeS CapsloCk ON AnD OfF. THIs oNe Is jusT plAin AnNOYinG... Warning, this code will not stop until you restart your computer or end "WScript.exe" on the Task Prompt.
Code:
Set wshShell =wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
do
' Begin the infinite loop!
wscript.sleep 100
' Pause for 100 ms
wshshell.sendkeys "{CAPSLOCK}"
' press Capslock
loop
' go back to the "do" line
To end this process, press "Ctrl+Alt+Del", click the "Processes" tab, and end "WScript.exe" . As you can see, the do...loop statement continues to run the code between the two. The sendkey function presses keys, as you can tell. Normal text can just be typed into the quotes, but keynames are as follows:
Shift is "{+}"
Ctrl is "{^}"
Alt is "{%}"
Del is "{Del}"
Backspace is "{bs}"
Enter is "~" Warning, nearly impossible to stop in Task Manager
F(1-12) is for example "{F7}"

Part 2 and more complex codes coming later. Including: Disguising your scripts, Variables, Ending Loops, and Automatically copying a VBS to the startup folder so it will run anytime the computer is started...

Additional Resources:
Microsoft Developer Center Documentation

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for you screwing up your computer >.< Not that it should happen; these codes are basically harmless.

What about this whole thing? It seems to be completely different:

-option explicit

msgbox "Message", vbinformation, "Message Box Title"

if msgbox("Choice Message", vbquestion + vbYesNo, "Choice Box Title") = vbyes then
msgbox "you chose yes", vbinformation, "yes"
Else
msgbox "you chose no", vbinformation, "no"
end if-

It works though.

The "createobject" part is just for the task manager?

What about this whole thing? It seems to be completely different:

-option explicit

msgbox "Message", vbinformation, "Message Box Title"

if msgbox("Choice Message", vbquestion + vbYesNo, "Choice Box Title") = vbyes then
msgbox "you chose yes", vbinformation, "yes"
Else
msgbox "you chose no", vbinformation, "no"
end if-

It works though.

The "createobject" part is just for the task manager?

I always start my VBS with "Set wshShell = wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")". I'm not sure what the difference is though. The variables like "vbquestion" and "vbyes" are known by VB. I will go ino those in the next installment.

Speaking as one who has actually been nailed by The Man for "downloading malicious software" ("I didn't download that malicious software! I wrote it!"), I must say that batch files are immensely useful. They are quite difficult to block using a blanket filter, and the sheer volume of alternative ways to execute the same command makes even targeted firewalls chancy. As an added bonus, no filter under the sun blocks Notepad (the basic one, NOT Wordpad), which is actually the best program for writing batch files.

P.S. Advice to would-be-hackers: first rule of hacking - clean out your old batch files regularly. Second rule of hacking - sysadmins do NOT have a sense of humor and will NOT laugh at a file named 'Databomb' that opens an endless series of error messages.

P.P.S. @ zerg006: does 12345 still work? And is our deal for the end of the year still on?

I THINK 12345 still works but I haven't tried it yet. And I haven't tried the other username yet, so I don't know if that one still works either

Back