So, you think you have what it takes to join the Zelda Sages staff? Great! We have a number of opportunities for those aspiring to contribute to the Zelda community. Before you apply, please review these general requirements:
- Applicants should be at least 16 years old at the time of application and posses a strong control of English language and grammar. If you are younger than 16, but no younger than 13, we will consider your application with additional requirements to be specified by the webmaster after reviewing your initial application.
- Applicants should actively play games from the Legend of Zelda series.
- Applicants must have at least a functional knowledge of the history of the Legend of Zelda.
- Applicants must understand that, if hired, they will not be paid for their work. All materials created for Zelda Sages will become the property of Zelda Sages. Should an applicant separate from Zelda Sages, his/her content will remain the property of Zelda Sages.
- Applicants must also understand that there is a certain level of expected commitment, and failing to attain and keep that level of commitment can be grounds for termination from the staff.
If you are lucky enough to join the Zelda Sages staff, we promise, it's not a perkless job. You'll:
- Be at the forefront of Zelda and Nintendo news.
- Receive an official zeldasages.com email address to prove your affiliation (powered by Google Apps).
- The opportunity to attend special events as a representative of Zelda Sages. In the past, we've had staff members attend E3, ComicCon, and other trade-shows.*
- Write and/or record about your passion for the Legend of Zelda series.
- Work with a team of cool, awesome, crazy people who all share your love for Zelda!
*At the staff member's personal expense. Although a volunteer site, we are considered a legitimate media outlet for the purpose of E3 and other trade-only event registration. Staff are responsible for meeting show requirements such as: age, activity as a writer, etc.
Joining the Zelda Sages staff isn't a long process, but it can be a difficult one. Here's how it works:
- Fill out the initial application below. This application will tell us who you are, what you want to do, and why you want to join Zelda Sages.
- The webmaster and co-webmaster will review applications on a rolling basis, meaning we don't have a set schedule of reviewing applications but rather review them as they come. Finalists will be selected and notified. Those who did not make the cut will also be notified.
- Finalists will need to submit additional materials, which vary from position to position. Finalists will also take part in an interview with either the webmaster of co-webmaster over Skype (this can be video, audio, or text, whichever best meets your privacy requirements).
- All materials, along with a general summary of how your interview went, will be presented to the staff. The staff will have a period of input.
- Taking all components into consideration, the webmaster and co-webmaster will make final selections. Those selected will be notified and asked to confirm their commitment to join the staff.
With all that said, we have gone through a number of staff members in the past. Whenever we hire a staff member that simply does not do what they volunteered to do, or makes a mess of the good name of Zelda Sages, we get depressed for everyone involved. We see it as unfortunate that we hired that person and not another who, although less qualified at the time, may have done a better job. To combat this trend, we have instituted a staff tenure system. Unless a position description specifically states that the position is, "immediately tenured" assume that, if hired, you will fall under the tenure system. If you are hired, you will still receive all the great benefits of working for Zelda Sages, but the following conditions apply to your involvement:
- There will be some restrictions in place on your use of the CMS. For example, whereas tenured staff members can edit any article (useful for correcting the spelling mistakes of others or to add a quick update) you will only be able to work with articles you submitted. In addition, your articles must be approved by a tenured staff member before they will appear online.
- You will gain a staff rank on the forums, but you WILL NOT be a forum moderator. We've hired so many seemingly great applicants that only wanted a fast way to gain, "power" on the internet. Your motivation to work for ZS should be something like, "contribute to the Zelda community" or, "get myself published and improve my writing skills."...not, "Plz M8Ke me a MOD". If you are only interested in becoming a forum moderator, consider actively participating in our community to increase your chances of obtaining, "Sage" status.
- Inactivity longer than 1 month without notifying the webmaster or co-webmaster will result in immediate termination from the staff.
- With all this in mind, you can be given, "tenure" at any time. Information on gaining, "tenure" is given to all new staff members.
Now that all that nasty stuff is out of the way, here are some the positions for which we are currently accepting applicants. Read up, and fill out the form at the bottom of the page. We will contact you in approximately one week after we've had the chance to look over your application. Good luck, and if you any questions about the process feel free to ask your question in our forums or fill out the contact us form.