• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Battlefield 2:Modern Combat (PS2)

diezoberflote

Loftwing
Overview: It's the Americans against the Chinese, in a propaganda-fueled war set in modern times. You get to play as both sides (but not at once) in this console-only version of the PC smash hit Battlefield 2.

Graphics: 8/10
Modern Combat's graphics are the perfect example of basic functionality. The natural environments look the best, however the buildings are a real eye sore.
Another high point is the guns. They all look quite cool, and their effects are nice and rewarding (I like this game's explosion effects a lot.)
The character models and vehicles get the job done.

Another important thing I should add about the visuals is that they are VERY easy on the eyes, unlike most other PS2 shooters. All the color and lighting is nice and soft and smooth, not jaggy and jumpy. This makes the game much more bearable. Oh and the framerate always remains smooth as well.

Sound: 6.5/10
Not much here to salute to. Plastic-y gun sounds get old pretty quick, but the explosions aren't half bad. The radio chatter (i.e. voice work) is pretty cheesey. And all this gets repetitive. There is practically no music, only "action movie" tidbits here and there.

However, the gameplay somewhat forgives the poor sound as you shall see.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
This game is split into single player and multi player modes.
The single player campaign is where you get to flip flop between sides and witness all the propaganda through news flashes between battles.
The battles themselves are hindered mainly by the AI, which is just atrocious. Enemies come prancing up to you and then stand there while you pump lead into them. They can barely be called threatening.
The friendly AI is similiar, but you can sort of forget about it during the mission.
Theres a zillion medals and bonuses to be gotten, but the initiative isn't that great. Your single player rank is not carried over into online.
The game's special feature is the HotSwap function, which lets you transport into the bodies of your nearby comrades and leave your old body behind. It's cool, and gives the single player it's only real flavor.

Multiplayer is what this game's all about in my opinion. It's unforgiving at first, since its pretty easy to die. But you must stick with it to find out how much fun it can be!
The two game modes are CTF and Conquest. (Conquest is where you fight to control different points on the rather large maps.) The combat is fierce and requires lots of skill.
If you like getting really into military games online, then there's lots of time to be spent here.

OVERALL: 7.5/10

other stuff:
>the maps are big and generally outdoorsy. like delta force.

>theres an online ranking system (seargent, general, etc.) that lets you know how long people have been playing.

>Controlling the game's many vehicles is handled well, except for the helicopter >_<

>YOU CAN'T HOTSWAP IN MULTIPLAYER! XD

How similar is it to Battlefield 2 for the PC? I played that quite a bit at a summer camp (of technology!), and enjoyed it greatly.

How similar is it to Battlefield 2 for the PC? I played that quite a bit at a summer camp (of technology!), and enjoyed it greatly.

They're both set in modern times and use modern weapons. The PC multiplayer can have 64 people, while the PS2 can only have 24.

The PC version's single player doesnt have the hot swapping feature. Oh, and a LOT more people play Battlefield 2 for PC.

Cool. I'll have to check it out. Wait a minute... I lack a PS2! Curses! Ah well, I guess I'll just have to hope the PS3's backwards compatable for it. (As if I'm ever getting a PS3. Hah!)

Back