• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)

Zerg006

Loftwing
Gameplay- 9/10: The gameplay for OoE is the same system as the previous Castlevania games. Run through a location and kill everything. However, there are some things that make it stand out. The first part is the "Glyph" system. You can equip up to 3 Glyphs at once, and they all function differently. Some are magic attacks, some are weapon attacks, some transform you, and some are movement enhancers. For example, instead of picking up a sword, you would pick up a sword Glyph. Let's say you equip that onto one of your arms (AKA the X-Button), and you have a spear Glyph on your other arm (The Y-Button). Now instead of just attacking with one weapon, you can attack with both in rapid succession. Same thing with magic. Because you can have 2-3 weapons equipped at once, the developers decided to up the difficulty for the game. And oh man did they make it tough. I died a bunch of times before I even reached the second boss. Another gameplay change is that you're not in just one location. You can travel to different areas via a map system, so you can go from a village, to the woods, to an underwater cavern. Each area has different enemies, and different obstacles to overcome.

Sound- 8/10: The music for the game is pretty good. Some tunes stand out more than others but each suits it's location. There are also some voice acting, but nothing more than the usual "One word" sayings, such as someone's name. The enemies tend to have more in the way of dialogue, but usually only for their attacks.

Graphics- 8/10: The graphics for the game look the same as the other Castlevania games for the DS. They utilize 2D graphics, but have some 3D elements, usually reserved for the magic attacks. The bosses are very detailed, and all the character animations look very fluid. The only problem is that it can be difficult at points to see some enemies.

Extras: 9/10: Just like previous Castlevania games, the extras consist of the usual "Sound Room" and "Boss Rush". There is also an unlockable gameplay mode where you can play as a different character, which offers a different experience. One of the biggest things though is that you can unlock new weapons and armor for your main game if you beat each boss rush stage in a certain time. Only by doing this is how you can unlock some of the best armor in the game. It's difficult to do, but very rewarding when you do it.

Overall: 9/10: This game is very fun. I've had it for a couple months now, and I never got around to doing a review for it until now. I've played through the game a couple of times now, and each time is different. I'd reccomend this game if you like 2D games, or if you're a big Castlevania fan. Or if you want a difficult experience

Back