• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Choose your child's gender, hair color, and eye color.

Thats incredible! but personally, i don't really agree with it....in a way it seems like it's wrong to do something like that

i think its cool and a great advancement in science, but i dont really see the use of it besides science. are you really not going to love your kid as much because they dont have blond hair or brown eyes? the gender thing is sorta plausable, but in my opinion, its more fun for it to be a surprise!

I would be good so that it will help advance the technology far enough so that we can change genes and prevent genetic defects and disorders and such, but other than that it is kinda pointless. Cool, but pointless.

This is just weird to me because if you choose all this stuff, your child really won't seem like your child, you know?

I would love to tell my child "You're not really a "child" per se. You're more of a genetically engineered fetal implantation. In fact, you're just a freak. Have fun."

But seriously, I think this is amazing. With this technology they may be able to prevent genetic diseases and disorders.

But seriously, I think this is amazing. With this technology they may be able to prevent genetic diseases and disorders.

I think the possibility of maybe being able to prevent genetic diseases and disorders is a good thing, but the thought of custom designing your own children is pushing it. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Hitler and his 'master race'.

I think the possibility of maybe being able to prevent genetic diseases and disorders is a good thing, but the thought of custom designing your own children is pushing it. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Hitler and his 'master race'.
I'm certain with that comment that yoyolll meant that this technology, the ability to alter genetics rather than just an ability to alter physical attributes, can be further advanced to a point where in the future we can stop genetic diseases. Because I'm pretty sure the physical attribute genetics do not contribute to diseases unless there's a specific one for those...

Anyway, It's always a cool thing to watch technology and science progress further. If I personally had a child, since it would be mine, I would want them to be natural from appearance just because well, it would be my kid. I would want them to look a little like me if at all, just to at least get the happiness that my dad feels when people tell him that I look a lot like him. Although if they do progress this to the point where they CAN prevent genetic diseases and if I ever DO have children and get married (etc), I would not hesitate to check this out more.

I agree with Ultima. I mean, if there is a way to prevent some kind of disease/mutation/disorder, well, why not? I see nothing wrong with that. But Windmage had a good point too, about Hitler's "master race." I mean, conformity is stupid. Okay, that probably wasn't the best way to put it but people might just start picking the same stuff for everyone and then that will just increase everyone's insecurities and self-loathing if they're different from what's "normal." You would make your children miserable... "You don't have my eyes or my hair or resemble me in even the slightest way, but I promise that you are my biological child." But it just wouldn't be your child if you chose all this stuff. Well, it WOULD, but at the same time, it just kinda wouldn't be. I'm bad at explaining stuff. They've experimented with this kind of thing in various scifi shows and the results usually suggest that it's much nicer just to keep your natural genetic makeup.

well with Hitler's "master race." it defeats the purpous if you can just make a person one way
and what if your child hates the way he or she looks they can just get plastic surgery and change themselves anyway
and plus genetic mutations and stuff usually have a decreased life span except in the off chance that your mutations end up helping it survive like a third leg or resistance to cancer.
And im pretty sure that if you have three legs they will kick you out of any track meet
...im rambling.......

The point of the procedure isn't to mutate genes, it's to isolate and remove the correct gene locus and insert it into the egg/***** chromosomes to select eye color, hair color, and gender.

(Wow do you see how the ridiculous chat filter on this website can prevent intelligent discussion??)

Hahaha, I love the chat filters!

But is it really fair to the child for you to choose how it looks? There will probably be some kind of backfiring or unforeseen destruction that comes from this. You don't mess with mother nature!!! Have the scientists had a success yet?

But just think of all that can be cured with this technology if developed to a certain point!

Carcinogenic Genes, All forms of Autism, Sickle-Cell Disease, Haemophilia, everything else from this list...

Preventing diseases, fine. That would benefit the human race. But it's debatable whether custom-creating your children would be beneficial or harmful to humanity.

Hahaha, I love the chat filters!

But is it really fair to the child for you to choose how it looks? There will probably be some kind of backfiring or unforeseen destruction that comes from this. You don't mess with mother nature!!! Have the scientists had a success yet?
It depends on the parents, not everyone feels the same way. Some people would love to choose their child's gender, hair color, and eye color.

Messing with mother nature is what we've been doing since monogamy.

Yeah, the scientists have had a success and it's now becoming commercialized. I think $50,000 for gender.

Back