• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Fanfiction: Aftermath of Twilight (TP Ending SPOILERS!!)

Title: Aftermath of Twilight
Characters: Link, Zelda, Ilia
Timeline: A few days after Twilight Princess
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters...If I did, I'd have money. :p

Further Disclaimer: I can't stress this enough. MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!! If you haven't beat Twilight Princess, you might as well read something else!!!

Aftermath of Twilight

Princess Zelda absently curled a lock of her dark-gold hair around her index finger. Despite her assurances that the threat had passed, the captain of her guard still insisted on increased security in the castle. Night was starting to fall on the castle grounds, and she wanted to relax. Then the court advisor came to her side and whispered in her ear, "Princess, the representative from Ordon Villiage has just arrived with their annual tribute." The ruler of Hyrule sighed, then stood. "Show him in then," she said. A few minutes later, the representative calmly walked into the throne room, and Zelda suppressed a gasp. She kept her calm demeanor as she slowly stepped down the stairs from the throne. "Leave us," she said to the guards. They started to object, but Zelda waved her hand dismissively, leaving no doubt as to what she wanted. After a few moments, the palace guards filed out, leaving Zelda alone with the representative of Ordon Villiage. "I believe you have a tribute for us?"

The representative bowed his head, his blond hair falling over his eyes as he held a sword in a scabbard out to the princess. Zelda gently took it from his hands as he also pulled out a shield that beared a symbol of the Ordon Villiage crest. "I hope it pleases you, Princess Zelda." The young man kept his eyes lowered. While respectful, Zelda had had enough of it. She gently touched his chin and made him look up at her.

"It does indeed...Link," Zelda said. She looked into his deep blue eyes and her heart almost dropped. She saw a great deal of pain in him. She placed the sword and shield next to her throne and then gazed at Link. He was no longer dressed in the green garb of the Hero, but in the plain, simple clothes of a Ordonian rancher. "Link-" she started to say.

"You don't need to say anything Princess Zelda. I'll go," he said, starting to turn away.

Zelda grabbed his shoulder, making sure to apply just enough pressure to make Link understand that she didn't want him to leave. "Please, stay a while. I know what you're going through-"

"Don't feed me that," Link spat. He quickly regretted saying it as he saw a pained look cross the princess's face. "I apologize your Highness. I didn't mean that."

Zelda gently shook her head. "No, you're right. I probably don't know what you're going through. I do know that I'm sorry, and I will do whatever I can to help you," she said softly. The princess thought back to when she shared her essence with the Princess of Twilight, Midna. She knew how Midna grew to feel about Link. Zelda felt that Link probably had grown to feel the same.

Link eventually sat on the steps leading up to the throne, his hands hanging between his knees. Zelda held her dress and sat next to him. "Why did she break the mirror? Why did she have to leave like that?"

Zelda put her left hand on Link's shoulder. "Link, I won't pretend to know what Midna was thinking...I only shared her heart for a short time. But I do know she had to have some reason. Maybe someday we'll find out why she did so, but until that day comes, I can't be certain," she said. "Link...you're the Hero of Hyrule. You saved all of us. You shouldn't let yourself be consumed by grief."

Link thought for a moment, then spoke again, "Your Majesty...do you know what it was that Midna was going to say before she broke the mirror?"

Zelda closed her eyes, well remembering the scene of the Twilight Princess shedding a single tear, saying, "Link...I...See you later." Zelda knew what Midna wanted to say...and she said what she thought. "It's not my place to tell you. That is something that she wanted you, and only you, to know...I shouldn't know it, but I do. And it will be a burden for some time. But it's not my place to tell you what was in her heart Link." Link sighed and nodded in understanding. Zelda also didn't want to tell him that she felt the same way as Midna. But, she shook it off, as she had for the past few days. She told herself over and over that it was only because she shared Midna's heart.

Link had yet to meet Zelda's eyes again, unsure of how he felt about her. He had felt a strong connection with her ever since their brief first meeting in the tower of Hyrule Castle. However, he knew his feelings for Midna were far stronger. It had only been a few days since their parting, but it felt like an eternity to Link. Not even visiting with Ilia helped. He missed Midna terribly. "Thank you for your time Princess Zelda. If you don't mind, I would like to get back," he said after an uncomfortable silence.

Zelda opened her eyes, jerked from her reverie by Link standing up to leave. "Link..." she said softly as he started to walk away. When he didn't stop, she stood, and tried again. "Link, chosen Hero. I have a favor I would ask of you," she said in her most regal voice. This time he did stop. She took long steps, bring herself close to him gracefully. The Hero slowly turned, his eyes still averted. "Will you do this for me?"

Link finally decided to meet her gaze and was surprised to see how heartfelt her request was, despite the formality behind her words. He couldn't say no. So, he finally said the one thing he could. "It would be an honor, your Majesty."
Ilia stood just outside the main hall of Hyrule Castle, waiting to be taken in. She knew that she'd be announced whenever the Princess was ready to see her. Then a guard came out. "Are you Ilia of Ordon Villiage?" he asked. She nodded politely. "Princess Zelda will see you now."

Ilia walked in slowly, not even sure why she had been summoned. All she knew was that Link hadn't been back to Ordon since he left for Hyrule, so she hoped that he had made it here alright. She guessed that she'd find out shortly. She saw the Princess of Hyrule seated in her throne, her hands clasped in her lap. Ilia envied Zelda's beauty and poise. The young girl approached the throne and kneeled respectfully. "You wished to see me, your Majesty?"

Zelda stood and said, "There's no need to be so formal, Ilia. I asked you here for a very special reason."

Ilia looked up, and for the first time, noticed the man standing at Zelda's side. Dressed in resplendant golden armor, a blue-hilted sword hanging on his thigh, was her friend since childhood, Link! He smiled at her, and she couldn't help but ask, "Link? What are you doing here?! Why didn't you come home?!" She hadn't meant to sound rude at the end of her sentence, but it was a little late now.

Zelda spoke instead, "Link has agreed to become the captain of the Hylian Guard. And I would ask you to become my handmaiden, Ilia. That way, you would be able to keep an eye on him." Zelda smiled at the tail end of her sentence, and gave Ilia an almost imperceptible wink.

Ilia smiled and bowed her head. "Of course, Princess Zelda. If I can have Link swear allegiance to you again. I didn't get to see it after all, and as your handmaiden, I think it's my duty to make sure the captain of your guards is absolutely loyal," she said with a somewhat mischievous grin.
Zelda smiled and motioned for Ilia to stand on her left. Link tried not to sigh, but took his place in front of the Princess and her new handmaiden. He drew the Master Sword, retrieved from its pedestal in the Sacred Grove, and knelt before Zelda. "I hereby swear allegiance to the kingdom of Hyrule and its ruler, Princess Zelda. I will defend the kingdom and those who reside in it until I take my dying breath. You have my power, my wisdom, and my courage. My allegiance is your's, Princess Zelda," Link said.

Zelda smiled and touched his brow."You may rise, Knight of Hyrule."

Okay, well over 20 views, and no comments? Come on people, please, feedback! It's necessary for writers. A writer cannot better himself if he doesn't get reactions from others. So tell me what you liked, what you disliked, if you want to see more, if you're happy with just this. Please?

That is a wonderful piece of Zelda literature :). I really need to finsd some system to throw up fan stories just for you :).

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that this was enjoyable! ^_^

So at least one person wants to see more? Trouble is, I'm not sure quite where to go with this without really upsetting some people.

Back