• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Somewhat Controversial Global Warming

Versac

名人/マスタ
Wooo! This thread is back from the dead! Now that the Politics thread is up and running, this can finally be discussed. To clarify, this thread discusses whether it is happening, and if we're to blame. I'm going to open with this li'l graph:

Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

Seeing as it's back, I'll try to explain once again, dumbed down. (It will still be lost on many of you.) Pay special attention to bold words, large font, and marked sections.

If you have a slightly less than average memory, you may be able to ignore the section markings while reading, but if you get lost, refer to the marked section.

As CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere by the burning of so many fossil fuels and the destruction of the world's rain forests, there is less heat that can escape into space.

This is called the "greenhouse effect". It resembles a greenhouse because heat can enter with ease, yet it has much trouble leaving. Obvious enough?

(Section A, important)Now:
!-Heat enters with ease.
!-Heat encounters trouble leaving.

What can we derive from this? There is more heat on the earth. Any controversy there?

Ok, here we go now, do we all know what a polar ice cap is? It's a massive block of ice at the north pole (you know, that place at the tip of the earth that's covered in ice?).

(section B, important)This ice at the north pole (stay with me) creates wind. These winds travel all around the earth, and what purpose do they serve? They distribute the suns heat around the globe. That is, they blow the hot air so that we can all be warm.

Refer to section A. I'll remind you once again: there is more heat now. That ice at the north pole was created with the earth's normal heat, that is it's environment. Raise your hand, does anyone know what happens when there's warm air around ice?

*raises hand*

Yeah! Nothing!

No, [stupid member], that's incorrect, yet it seems to be a very common mistake among people.

*raises hand*

It...uhh....m-m-...melts?

(Section C)That's right, yoyolll! When it's warm, ice melts!
(As a reminder, refer to section A once more.)

Ok, so (refer to section A and section B) can anyone take a wild guess as to what happens when that ice melts (r. section B)? (Section B: polar ice caps create winds which distribute heat). Anyone? (Section C: when it's warm, ice melts!)

Here we go: the ice which distributes heat (r. section B) melts (r. section C) because of the heat (r. section A). Now what happens? (Section D)The answer is simple, obviously, there is no more ice to distribute heat.

Do we know how cold the dark side of the moon is? It's really really really cold. If it had water, it would be snowing all the time and would turn into a block of ice (much later, it would turn into something like the earth, but I won't get into that process)

(Section E)Does the moon have any ice caps to distribute heat? No. This is why only the side which is facing the sun will be heated by the sun.

So if the earth had no ice caps (r. section D) like the moon (r. section E), it would, like the moon (r. section E), turn into a block of ice, like the moon (r. section E).

Final:
The ice caps which produce winds which distribute heat will be melted by the heat collected in the atmosphere by process of the "greenhouse effect" collection of CO2 which will cause the earth's temperature to plummet and cause the planet to be overcome by ice.

This will not happen for thousands of years.

If you can't understand that, there is no point in you arguing because you will be the guy who says "There's no such thing as electricity, it's God."

Let me first start off by saying that you cannot deny the proof. The Earth is warming. However, what is the cause is something for debate.

Its obvious that the modern world runs on carbon emissions. Automobiles, planes, boats, factories, and electrical generators to name few. We also know that these emissions cause the world to warm through The Greenhouse Effect. Also, other things, such as deforestation cause warming. So quite clearly, humans a at least helping the cause.

The Earth has regularly gone through heating/cooling cycles before, and its natural. However, our current environment is necessary to maintain an economy. For example, with rising temperatures some animals and crops will not be able to thrive and eventually die, thus causing food prices to rise further. Other countries, such as Africa will continue to heat further causing the people without access to our technology to die. Water levels will rise destroying land, causing food and real estate prices to rise, and causing social turmoil.

Now I'm not sure what the cause is, but I do know that we are helping it and that we need to stop/slow the warming. I remain Agnostic on this matter, but I believe that instead of fighting whether its actually happening or not, be should be trying to find cures.

What would you prefer? Spending money to make the world a cleaner place whether the Earth heats or not? Or fighting in a war saying, "I wish we tried to change instead of worrying about money"?

Seeing as it's back, I'll try to explain once again, dumbed down. (It will still be lost on many of you.) Pay special attention to bold words, large font, and marked sections.
I find that simplification really doesn't help much; if you want people to pay attention, uses smaller posts, not bigger ones. Attention span is more important than reading level.

If you have a slightly less than average memory, you may be able to ignore the section markings while reading, but if you get lost, refer to the marked section.

As CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere by the burning of so many fossil fuels and the destruction of the world's rain forests, there is less heat that can escape into space.

This is called the "greenhouse effect". It resembles a greenhouse because heat can enter with ease, yet it has much trouble leaving. Obvious enough?

(Section A, important)Now:
!-Heat enters with ease.
!-Heat encounters trouble leaving.

What can we derive from this? There is more heat on the earth. Any controversy there?
Decent so far, but I'd like to point out that greenhouse gases block all heat, not just heat leaving, so the warming process is more like: light from Sol passes through gas, hits the Earth, turns into heat, and is trapped. There isn't a whole lot of heat coming through space, just lots of light, so the protection only works one way.

Ok, here we go now, do we all know what a polar ice cap is? It's a massive block of ice at the north pole (you know, that place at the tip of the earth that's covered in ice?)....

[stuff]

Final:
The ice caps which produce winds which distribute heat will be melted by the heat collected in the atmosphere by process of the "greenhouse effect" collection of CO2 which will cause the earth's temperature to plummet and cause the planet to be overcome by ice.

This will not happen for thousands of years.

If you can't understand that, there is no point in you arguing because you will be the guy who says "There's no such thing as electricity, it's God."
I have to disagree with you very strongly here. Wind doesn't create temperature differential, it is a product of it. Oh sure, the Coriolis effect and centrifugal force cause some of it, but the vast majority of wind is caused by uneven heating of land by the sun, hot air rising, and cool air rushing in to take its place. Most temperature circulation is actually a product of ocean currents, which makes sense as water has a spectacularly high specific heat (translation: water is a good heat transferer). Here's a map of the most important one:
clip_image002_000.jpg

Let me first start off by saying that you cannot deny the proof. The Earth is warming. However, what is the cause is something for debate.

Its obvious that the modern world runs on carbon emissions. Automobiles, planes, boats, factories, and electrical generators to name few. We also know that these emissions cause the world to warm through The Greenhouse Effect. Also, other things, such as deforestation cause warming. So quite clearly, humans a at least helping the cause.

The Earth has regularly gone through heating/cooling cycles before, and its natural. However, our current environment is necessary to maintain an economy. For example, with rising temperatures some animals and crops will not be able to thrive and eventually die, thus causing food prices to rise further. Other countries, such as Africa will continue to heat further causing the people without access to our technology to die. Water levels will rise destroying land, causing food and real estate prices to rise, and causing social turmoil.

Now I'm not sure what the cause is, but I do know that we are helping it and that we need to stop/slow the warming. I remain Agnostic on this matter, but I believe that instead of fighting whether its actually happening or not, be should be trying to find cures.

What would you prefer? Spending money to make the world a cleaner place whether the Earth heats or not? Or fighting in a war saying, "I wish we tried to change instead of worrying about money"?
Yup on all technical counts. Bangladesh is going to be the fist to go, and much of southeastern Asia will follow. Regions with temperature appropriate for crops will move towards the poles, and away from the optimal soil areas. The human species will survive even catastrophic global warming, but uncountable billions will die.

n670590878_493522_6086.jpg

When you are shown graphs involving this supposed "global warming" theory, you are only shown what's been going on in the past few years. Of course, you aren't shown the whole story. The earth wasn't created when we started burning fossil fuels. The earth has been around for billions of years and has obviously gone through drastic temperature changes not caused by mankind. To start off, how do you explain the jump in temperatures during the 1700's when little fossil fuel was being released?

Sure recent years have gotten pretty hot, but we just got smacked with the coldest winter we've seen in a while. By jumping on this "Global Warming" bandwagon, politicians are making themselves seem like heroes while ignoring the evidence (or lack ).

Before y'all start attacking me, i'm all for keeping the environment clean and leaving the world the way we found it. But there is so much evidence denying the existence of man-made global warming. As of now, their are very important issues that should be addressed before fixing the global warming problem. "Global warming" would kill us off in millions of years while terrorists nuking us would kill us in 2 seconds. There are easier ways of fixing environmental issues then slowing down the economy (as Bill Clinton suggested while campaigning for Hillary).

http://icecap.us/index.php
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/everything_is_caused_by_global.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22794095-20261,00.html
http://www.fel.duke.edu/~scafetta/pdf/2007JD008437.pdf

n670590878_493522_6086.jpg

When you are shown graphs involving this supposed "global warming" theory, you are only shown what's been going on in the past few years. Of course, you aren't shown the whole story. The earth wasn't created when we started burning fossil fuels. The earth has been around for billions of years and has obviously gone through drastic temperature changes not caused by mankind. To start off, how do you explain the jump in temperatures during the 1700's when little fossil fuel was being released?

Sure recent years have gotten pretty hot, but we just got smacked with the coldest winter we've seen in a while. By jumping on this "Global Warming" bandwagon, politicians are making themselves seem like heroes while ignoring the evidence (or lack ).

Before y'all start attacking me, i'm all for keeping the environment clean and leaving the world the way we found it. But there is so much evidence denying the existence of man-made global warming. As of now, their are very important issues that should be addressed before fixing the global warming problem. "Global warming" would kill us off in millions of years while terrorists nuking us would kill us in 2 seconds. There are easier ways of fixing environmental issues then slowing down the economy (as Bill Clinton suggested while campaigning for Hillary).

http://icecap.us/index.php
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/everything_is_caused_by_global.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22794095-20261,00.html
http://www.fel.duke.edu/~scafetta/pdf/2007JD008437.pdf
Great argument. You are a genius. Absolutely brilliant.

Hey look! It's snowing! I guess global warming really is a hoax.

Fluctuations in temperature will always occur, the heat still increasing on a much greater scale.

Good way to bolster your argument there, saying global warming doesn't exist, and then saying there are more important problems we should tend to before global warming.

Just because there's more urgent problems doesn't mean we can't work on this one. Ok, we're fighting a war in Iraq and need to pull out, terrorists allegedly have some nukes, LET'S NOT LEAVE THE ******* DOOR OPEN AT HOME WHEN THE AIR CONDITIONER'S ON.

As for those who claim we are "overdue for an ice age", I would like to say you are incompetent people who are unable or simply refuse to consider any facts in any way before allowing words to spew out of your mouth.

Think about this: dinosaurs lived for millions of years (that is a fact), and they all died during an ice age (that is another fact, although the cause of the ice age is arguable). Now, if dinosaurs die in an ice age yet they lived for millions of years on the natural earth, the earth must not have had a what? for millions of years? It's been roughly 11,000 years since the last ice age ended, and the next one is predicted to be in a few 10,000 years (yes, why should you care?). The earth is certainly not overdue for its ice age, and the predicted numbers are far too close.

Can you please read my posts before you respond?
An extremely cold winter just shows how NATURAL the climate is. How the temperature goes up. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down.

So please, just because we've had a few hot years, doesn't mean we all have to be scared into thinking the world is coming to an end. This same thing happened from 1940-70 with "Global Cooling".

It doesn't take too much to make our environment cleaner so i don't see why this is such a big issue to people.

Can you please read my posts before you respond?
An extremely cold winter just shows how NATURAL the climate is. How the temperature goes up. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down. And then it comes down. And then it goes back up. And then it goes up. And then it goes back down.

So please, just because we've had a few hot years, doesn't mean we all have to be scared into thinking the world is coming to an end. This same thing happened from 1940-70 with "Global Cooling".

It doesn't take too much to make our environment cleaner so i don't see why this is such a big issue to people.

Fluctuations in temperature will always occur, the heat still increasing on a much greater scale.
Wow, nice. This is what I mean when I say consider the facts (what I have said). The world is certainly not coming to an end, this won't happen for thousands of years, but if you really care we have to start our effort now because it's only gonna get worse.

It really doesn't take much to make the environment cleaner, the problem is people won't do anything. They actively make it worse, dirtier, when it's so easy to clean up.

... -.- Did you read that article past the first page? A few quotes:

"His views are completely at odds with the mainstream scientific opinion," said Colin Wilson, a planetary physicist at England's Oxford University. "And they contradict the extensive evidence presented in the most recent IPCC [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] report." (Related: "Global Warming 'Very Likely' Caused by Humans, World Climate Experts Say" [February 2, 2007].)
The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun.

All planets experience a few wobbles as they make their journey around the sun. Earth's wobbles are known as Milankovitch cycles and occur on time scales of between 20,000 and 100,000 years.
These fluctuations change the tilt of Earth's axis and its distance from the sun and are thought to be responsible for the waxing and waning of ice ages on Earth.
Mars and Earth wobble in different ways, and most scientists think it is pure coincidence that both planets are between ice ages right now.
"Mars has no [large] moon, which makes its wobbles much larger, and hence the swings in climate are greater too," Wilson said.
Thank you for disproving your own theory.

It seems like you are just googling for links that can gain you better ground, but you aren't even looking deeply into it.

That first link is actually very ridiculous. I mean transportation only creates about 2% of carbon dioxide (or so I heard from a magazine at the airport), which means cows contribute more. They would be a lot better off implementing the hydrogen engine.

"By studying fluctuations in the warmth of the sun, Abdussamatov believes he can see a pattern that fits with the ups and downs in climate we see on Earth and Mars. Abdussamatov's work, however, has not been well received by other climate scientists."

^That's from your second link. I wonder if I should take this one guy with this one theory seriously?

Back