• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

I installed Vista

webmasterbob

The Webmaster
Well, I was bored and waiting for a good time to throw it in, so I'm happy to report I've successfully upgraded my computer to Windows Vista...wohoo!

Now, I did have a few issues when first upgrading. Firstly, my RAID driver was not compatible with Vista, so I had to turn off Raid, however who really needs it anyway :). There were also a few graphic and sound driver issues, although they have all been corrected. The only thing that's left to do is find a driver for my printer...but I'll find it eventually :).

Just a heads up though, I am using a Gen 2 Dell XPS, which is more then capable of being upgraded *and has been*, although I have only 512mb of internal ram. Now, with this amount of ram, Vista will be slow. Luckily Vista includes a nice feature called "speed boost" where you can use a flash drive as if it were internal ram. Your ram amount will not raise itself when you enter the system information area, however your computer will run far faster. I've plugged in a 1GB flash drive which I rarely use, and after which Vista is now running faster than when I used XP.

If you want my personal advice, if you are not very tech savy, hold off on upgrading to Vista. In addition, when you do decide to upgrade, get a tech savy friend or relative to update your drivers. You will thank me later, I assure you.

Now, I'm back to figuring out how to use this darn OS *I find it odd that Microsoft has decided to move every option to some other random location...*

Horrah! I'm buying a new laptop soon, most likely Vista. I might wait juat a bit for them to patch some things first.

I personally will not upgrad until I get a new computer or until XP no longer gets upgrades from Microsoft. I've been hearing some bad things about it. My father, who is extremely tech savvy and who has a few friends who upgraded, says Vista is a piece of ****. He claims that because of all the anti-piracy software on it, Windows will not let you do things that you're supposed to be able to do. Along with that, he has heard and seen things that make it seem like, what he calls, "Windows Idiot Version". He says that every time you open up a program it will tell you it is starting up, and if you want it to start up.

This is not bashing Windows in anyway, I still love Windows and Microsoft because I hate Mac. But I'm just saying Microsoft has a few of their priorties messed up.

Horrah! I'm buying a new laptop soon, most likely Vista. I might wait juat a bit for them to patch some things first.

I getting new laptop with Vista soon too.
Hmm...I was supposed to buy a new desktop computer for 900$ but dished out 300$ for the Wii instead. I don't have a job so I still have a long way till the 900 bucks but that should be enough for Vista to fix up a few things.

I heard it didn't sell as much as Microsoft had hoped.

I've been toying around with Vista all day, if you want I can throw up a mini review after a bit more analysis. There have already been things that have annoyed me, and others that have made me say "WOW! Awesome!"

For those of you who have been around here for some time you'll know I'm a proud owner of both my Dell Dimension XPS and a Powerbook G4 running OS X Tiger. So, rest assured, I'll be giving facts. :)

How long would you say it would take microsoft to make this worth getting? (for someone like me)

A year or so, or atleast until they get a SP 1 out, which will fix most bugs. There will still be some annoying things, however, such as anti-piracy things restricting more than piracy.

Depending on events in the next...*insert time period here* I might get a laptop with Vista on it...I'll then be able to take it for a spin myself...maybe...

My moms computer gots vestia, I've used it once, its pretty sweet, but yeah, she won't let me use it unless my computers being updated or it crashes or something. lol

LinkMaster92, just let them say what they want to say... You can PM them about it but, just don't say anything like that again... I'm not going to give you an infraction for saying something like that... Just ignore it and they will soon realize that it's not worth saying...

How many times do I have to say this... QUIT IT WITH THE F@#KING WII JOKES!!!
I agree wholly.
LinkMaster92, just let them say what they want to say... You can PM them about it but, just don't say anything like that again... I'm not going to give you an infraction for saying something like that... Just ignore it and they will soon realize that it's not worth saying...
If we don't tell them it's not funny, how will they know (they think we're laughing our asses off.)?

Let's get the thread back on topic, especially since the last few replies came out of nowhere, the thread is months old *not old enough to be un-postale, so don't worry about that*.

If something is annoying, simply send a PM asking kindly for that individual to stop. We have had other members use this method, and it seems to work very nicely :).

Well, get get back on topic, thus far Vista has not exploded on my over the last three months...which is obviously a good thing ;).

Back