• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

John Sidney McCain III's Running Mate

I haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I'd start one.

His choice is certainly an interesting one, I don't think many people were expecting Sarah Palin, I doubt that many people have even heard of her before this. The choice certainly greatly undercuts the argument the McCain has been making that more experience is vital, as she has spent much less time in government than even Obama.

The reasons for this choice seem to be attempting to attract disgruntled Hillary supporters, and an attempt to reassure his base, as Palin is even farther to the right on many social issues than John McCain.

I haven't seen any threads on this so I thought I'd start one.

His choice is certainly an interesting one, I don't think many people were expecting Sarah Palin, I doubt that many people have even heard of her before this. The choice certainly greatly undercuts the argument the McCain has been making that more experience is vital, as she has spent much less time in government than even Obama.

The reasons for this choice seem to be attempting to attract disgruntled Hillary supporters, and an attempt to reassure his base, as Palin is even farther to the right on many social issues than John McCain.

Neither Palin or Obama have any achievements. She is a wonderful choice in my opinion. She is further right than McCain is on some issues, and, her approval ratings are already higher than Biden's. 64% of independants favour her over Biden.

Neither Palin or Obama have any achievements.

Taken from http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4678548:
THESE ARE BARACK'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE U.S. SENATE TO DATE:

** First legislation, the HOPE Act, which increased Pell Grants to $5100, and later joined Senator Kennedy on the Higher Education legislation that passed July 20, by a vote of 78-18. That legislation also included funding for Predominantly Black Colleges to assist with counseling, tutoring and other needs of low income students. It also creates the Teaching Residency Act which will create a school-based teacher preparation program in high needs schools to provide each teacher with a mentor, content instruction, classroom management skills, a master’s degree and state certification, and a 2 year follow-up program.

**The Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006
is an act that requires the full disclosure of all entities or organizations receiving federal funds beginning in fiscal year (FY) 2007 on a website maintained by the Office of Management and Budget.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Funding_Accountabi...

**The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act
Authored by U.S. Sens. Dick Lugar (R-IN) and Barack Obama (D-IL), the Lugar-Obama initiative expands U.S. cooperation to destroy conventional weapons. It also expands the State Department's ability to detect and interdict weapons and materials of mass destruction.
Signed into Law on January 11, 2007.
http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/chrisblas...

**The 2007 Government Ethics Bill
http://www.rollcall.com/issues/53_17/news/19664-1.html?...
http://www.commonblog.com/story/2007/9/14/164837/331

** The “Democratic Republic of the Congo Relief, Security, and Democracy Promotion Act.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-2125

** S116 - Summer Learning demonstration project to provide summer learning grants and encourage new teaching methods.
http://www.pasesetter.org/demonstrationPrograms/nasd.ht...

Obama's Global Poverty Act of 2007, passed out of committee just a few days ago
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senators Barack Obama (D-IL), Chuck Hagel (R-NE), and Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Congressman Adam Smith (D-WA) today hailed the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's passage of the Global Poverty Act (S.2433), which requires the President to develop and implement a comprehensive policy to cut extreme global poverty in half by 2015 through aid, trade, debt relief, and coordination with the international community, businesses and NGOs. This legislation was introduced in December. Smith and Congressman Spencer Bachus (R-AL) sponsored the House version of the bill (H.R. 1302), which passed the House last September.
http://obama.senate.gov /

Amendments, that have all passed:

S.Amdt.159 to S.Con.Res.18 - To prevent and, if necessary, respond to an international outbreak of the avian flu.

S.Amdt.390 to H.R.1268 - To provide meal and telephone benefits for members of the Armed Forces who are recuperating from injuries incurred on active duty in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom.

S.Amdt.670 to H.R.3 - To provide for Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) refueling capability at new and existing refueling station facilities to promote energy security and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

S.Amdt.808 to H.R.6 - To establish a program to develop Fischer-Tropsch transportation fuels from Illinois basin coal.

S.Amdt.851 to H.R.6 - To require the Secretary to establish a Joint Flexible Fuel/Hybrid Vehicle Commercialization Initiative, and for other purposes.

S.Amdt.1362 to S.1042 - To require a report on the Department of Defense Composite Health Care System II.

S.Amdt.1453 to S.1402 - To ensure the protection of military and civilian personnel in the Department of Defense from an influenza pandemic, including an avian influenza pandemic.

S.Amdt.2301 to H.R.3010 - To increase funds to the Thurgood Marshall Legal Educational Opportunity Program and to the Office of Special Education Programs of the Department of Education for the purposes of expanding positive behavioral interventions and supports.

S.Amdt.2605 to S.2020 - Expressing the sense of the Senate that the Federal Emergency Management Agency should immediately address issues relating to no-bid contracting.

S.Amdt.2930 to S.2349 - To clarify that availability of legislation does not include nonbusiness days.
S.Amdt.3144 to S.Con.Res.83 - To provide a $40 million increase in FY 2007 for the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program and to improve job services for hard-to-place veterans

S. Amdt 41 to S. 1 To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged.

----------------------------------------------

Barack has Written a total of 890 Bills and Co-sponsored Another 1096 since he started serving in the U.S. Senate.

Please educate yourself before claiming someone has made no achievments.

She has an 80% approval rating in Alaska too...

Two years of executive experience is much more than 4 years of US Senate experience (2 of which were spent campaigning).

This was perhaps the smartest move McCain has made during his campaign, a move which may very well push him over the top in what appears to be a very close election. I have to say though, she is not hot despite what some people are saying. Seriously, I don't see it.

This was perhaps the smartest move McCain has made during his campaign

I'll agree with that much atleast. McCain needed a game changing move, because if things kept going the way they were he probably wasn't going to win. This is a risky decision, but when you're behind, you can afford to take risks.

I'll agree with that much atleast. McCain needed a game changing move, because if things kept going the way they were he probably wasn't going to win. This is a risky decision, but when you're behind, you can afford to take risks.
He's behind!?!?!

A two point difference before the conventions and debates are over is a virtual tie.

I have to say though, she is not hot despite what some people are saying. Seriously, I don't see it.
Joe Biden apparently thinks so.

I dont think she's ugly but for a forty year old, i've seen worse. You could tell she was once good looking.

miss-wasilla-1984.jpg
(If anyone was wondering, this was when she was young)

Now she's going to be a grandmother.

He's behind!?!?!

A two point difference before the conventions and debates are over is a virtual tie.

Joe Biden apparently thinks so.

I dont think she's ugly but for a forty year old, i've seen worse. You could tell she was once good looking.

miss-wasilla-1984.jpg
(If anyone was wondering, this was when she was young)

Now she's going to be a grandmother.

wow its hard to believe that was once her. she has aged though, but still isnt' bad for a 44 year old. as for the biden article, i think his quote was used more as a mock of himself.

He's behind!?!?!

I'm talking about more than just general polls. In fundraising, in voter enthusiasm, in registering new voters, in almost every area the McCain campaign is lagging significantly behind. After the abysmal past eight years, the Republican brand is toxic, and McCain knows he won't be able to win on standard campaign tactics.

I'm talking about more than just general polls. In fundraising, in voter enthusiasm, in registering new voters, in almost every area the McCain campaign is lagging significantly behind. After the abysmal past eight years, the Republican brand is toxic, and McCain knows he won't be able to win on standard campaign tactics.

Were we attacked while under Bush? Once. 9/11. Ya, it was a horrible attack, but there haven't been any others since then.

I agree that the Republican brand has become toxic but a lot of people realize that Obama is so far to the left while McCain is only slightly to the right.
*|-------------|---*-----------|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiDACmM4eM

If you look at that video, starting at about :55 it explains how polling shows Americans would vote an average democrat into office over a republican by a landslide. Obama vs Mccain numbers are much closer than the liberal media would like us to believe.

I agree that the Republican brand has become toxic but a lot of people realize that Obama is so far to the left while McCain is only slightly to the right.
*|-------------|---*-----------|
Whoops. Actually, compared to the world at large...
usprimaries_2008.png

www.politicalcompass.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiDACmM4eM

If you look at that video, starting at about :55 it explains how polling shows Americans would vote an average democrat into office over a republican by a landslide. Obama vs Mccain numbers are much closer than the liberal media would like us to believe.
While Gallup polls tend to be very accurate, both significant errors it has made predicted Republican victories. That being said, Obama currently has a 8% lead and just topped 50% for the first time. Read more here.

...did you just say 'Liberal Media'? That's a discussion for a different article. Oh, and try to keep slurs out of the thread. I don't want to have to start censoring people just because they can't control themselves.

Back