• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

UltimaLink007

Hope Never Dies
It's been a while since I've done a review, so I thought I would give it another go. :)

packshots.png

Overview: In the region of Sinnoh, there are many new places to explore and many new pokemon to meet. You start by watching a TV program about a red gyrados (G/S/C people know about this), and then meet your hyperactive rival for a trip down to the nearby lake...little do you know what adventures will await you after that...Travel the world, Take on the new evil organization Team Galactic, become the champion, and uncover the mysteries of Space and Time in: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl!

Sound - 9.5/10: The music is very well done, and sounds great on the DS. Also, the music is all original, and is a refreshing change from the older games. Examples are the different, improved music that you hear just moving from route to route, the music in the towns and cities is also nice, and the tune played whilst surfing is more soothing and calm, reminding you of the water almost. After a while of being in one area the music gets repetitive or boring, but it takes a while because the actual music takes a long time to play before it loops. Overall, a very nice experience.

Graphics - 10/10: Amazing scenery, tons of artwork, colorful places, and tons of new detailed sprites contribute to bringing the graphics of Diamond and Pearl to a new dimension: LITERALLY! The graphics are now three dimensional, bringing them to a whole new level of greatness. Even without the new dimension, the graphics bring the DS to an all-new high in the subject. Overall, the graphics are amazing, and are easily some of the best on the Nintendo DS to date.
pokemondia.jpg
notice the 3-D

Gameplay - 10/10: The classic RPG known as Pokemon returns, this time on the Nintendo DS. It contains the same charm as the old games, and the fun of capture, raise, and defeat the gym leaders,beat the evil organization who is trying to harness the powers of a legendary pokemon to conquer the world, and then bringing the Elite Four along with their champion to their knees, all the while being harrassed by the person you know as your rival. It seems old, but there are many new aspects. There is the 3rd dimension, which you must use, as you travel up, down, left and right. Contests are not new, but instead of having one simple round of battle techniques, you have that, along with a dance round which utilizes the stylus to move in the order you are given, and a dress up part, where you fit accessories to your pokemon to get extra points from the crowd. Also, instead of having to catch them all, you need to see them all in order to get the national pokedex, after which many new areas open up, such as the battle area, where you can try your skills at the battle tower, or go for a trip to the mountain where legendaries live...Also, there is a MAJOR NEW FACTOR. There is wifi. Wifi can be used to battle or trade with friends who are far away, or that you just aren't able to see, and then there is the GTS, or Global Trading Station. Here, leave a pokemon and ask for a pokemon you would want in return. People can search for pokemon, and then, trade. Overall, the basics are the same, but there are so many new things, that anyone who liked the old pokemon games will not call it the same thing as 10 years ago.

Story - 7/10: The same basic plot, with Team Galactic, but reveals an entirely new sinister plot. Most people would assume world conquest was their goal, but those people were SORELY mistaken...Also, new people are nice, and for ONCE, the stupid professor has no idea who you are, and doesn't even live in the same town!:D

Replay Value - 10/10: With 490 pokemon to capture, train and build teams with, the game will never end! Also, the wifi battle capabilities will keep you playing for months, battling friends and family, just to see who is better, and have bragging rights. Also, There are other things to keep you occupied, such as contests, and trying to get to secret places, such as the secretive (I call them a cult), Ribbon Syndicate, where you need 10 ribbons on one pokemon just to get in! Wifi + new pokemon + fun = lots of replay value. :)

Use of Stylus - 7/10: You use the stylus whenever you battle, by being able to simply click on one of the displayed moves to attack, rather that using the buttons to sift through attack until you find the one you want to use...not a big deal, I'm just trying to be positive...you also use it for your bag, to quickly move from pocket to pocket. and you use it throughout the entire contest, making it more useful than normally thought...

Overall - 8.9/10: With great, classic pokemon gameplay, phenomenal new graphics, great sound, but held back by lack of good stylus use, and a truely original story, Poemon Diamond and Pearl, scores a 8.9/10.

I was going to write one on this game tonight but it looks like you beat me to it. I agree with this review completely :) Replay value is perfect because i got this in April and im still playing. The only thing that i disagree with is the sound b/c it's too much of the same thing. I always watch tv while I play so I keep the volume off. But still it does deserve about an 8.9... Great review

I didn't know whether to give the sound an 8 or 9.5, because of personal reasons, and I decided that what I had said was better, because of the certain musics that I really liked, such as the champion battle music.:)

Nice review, not my favorite series, but defiantly a great review. You pointed out the reason I don't buy PKM games any longer, repudiative predictable story.

Pokemon Diamond does need a new storyline I do agree.. But the pokemon series is the grandfather of RPG's So WORSHIP IT!!!!!!!

Pokemon Diamond does need a new storyline I do agree.. But the pokemon series is the grandfather of RPG's So WORSHIP IT!!!!!!!
Final Fantasy takes offense at your comments, but probably isn't a good example of a fresh story :p. But I agree that Pokemon fathered the 'collection' RPG.

Final Fantasy takes offense at your comments, but probably isn't a good example of a fresh story :p. But I agree that Pokemon fathered the 'collection' RPG.
1. Correct Versac, Final Fantasy does take offense
2. Wrong Versac, Dragon Warrior fathered the 'collection' RPG. Pokemon was like its younger brother.

Versac says: ....? Dragon Warrior had no collection elements whatsoever! It was essentially FF 0.8!

Back