• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Religion

Freedom of Religion: Having someone else's religion taught to you as truth in public, government funded educational institutions.

Yes, excellent point. That's exactly what freedom of religion was intended to mean.
Well.. it wouldn't be taught to that extent. This year I learned about other religions and it was taught to us as in "Hindus belive that", ect.

(PS: 1995 posts!)

(PPS: 5 away from 2000! :D)

(PPPS: this excites me)

The truth of the matter is, there is so much religion that it is nearly impossible to not show a bias when teaching about all of them in a fair way. If one is talking about religion in terms of how it left an impact on history, then what you're talking about is history which just happens to be dealing with religion.

Honestly I think that's enough because most of the religion taught in history (and possibly english) is really the only religion that one really needs to know to understand the common world. It's when you get in depth, that's when it becomes a personnal thing, one that if you're interested, you can research on your own, without the school's guidance. But keep in mind that a school is NOT supposed to give a background on certain religions, just so that you can pick one. It's supposed to only talk about religion if it relates to the core material in classes such as History and English.

Also, the curriculum would not subsitute religion for any other material that it is already teaching. So if they were to teach more religion, school days would be longer, or the school year would be.

Thats basically what the dark age was about.

If they start teaching religions in school, they had better teach about Pastafarianism and the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

That's not a major religion. We should learn about Christianity, Catholicism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jew...ish...religion, and muslim...anity...religion.

Unfortunately, it's mostly Jewish religion, and Christianity and Catholicism.

Thats basically what the dark age was about.

If they start teaching religions in school, they had better teach about Pastafarianism and the Flying Spaghetti Monster!
... :eek:

In all seriousness, what about religious studies majors in college? They learn about all religions.

Game, Set, and Match.

Yoyoll Response: Don't forget Zoroastrian, all the mutagens of Buddhism, and various other ancient religions that have had an impact on the modern world.

... :eek:

In all seriousness, what about religious studies majors in college? They learn about all religions.

Game, Set, and Match.

Yoyoll Response: Don't forget Zoroastrian, all the mutagens of Buddhism, and various other ancient religions that have had an impact on the modern world.

Higher education is different for a ton of reasons. The individual pays for their own education, and chooses what they want to study. In a public school system, the curriculum is standardized and paid for completely by taxpayers.

Slyguy response: dead, aincent religions, no matter how influential, unfortunately cannot be catogorized as major religions. Of course that's just my opinion, derived from simple logic and common sense, feel free to defend your views in the same way animaldude defended his ice melting global warming ideas.

Slyguy response: dead, aincent religions, no matter how influential, unfortunately cannot be catogorized as major religions. Of course that's just my opinion, derived from simple logic and common sense, feel free to defend your views in the same way animaldude defended his ice melting global warming ideas.

Ok, here are the facts:

All religions share at least some common ground with at least one other. For instance, Buddhism has several influences not only from Hinduism, but also from Zoroastrian religions, or how Judaism has elements from Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek and Ancient Mesopotamian.

Therefore, these religions should be catigorized as major religions if they have had a major influence on a religion still widely practiced today, as we are basically worshipping the same ideals of the ancient religions.

I disagree, yoyolll. Most religions today came from, as Slyguy said, the concept of dualism and Zoroastrian beliefs. Without these, religions today would be quite different. They are certainly a large influence, there is no denying it.

Back