• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Resident Evil 4 (GC)

Zerg006

Loftwing
Resident Evil 4, the official fourth installment of the Resident Evil series, fixes the bane of all Resident Evil players: the static camera!

Sound/Voice Acting - 10/10: In my humble opinion, Resident Evil 4 has amazing voice acting. From Leon's smug attitude, to Luis's charming wit, to even the lowest Ganado's spanish, this game nails it all perfectly. Characters speak in tones that fit their personality perfectly, and the voice-actors make each character come to life, making you believe in this conspiracy.

Music - 8/10: The music for Resident Evil 4 is very good, but the game doesn't emphasize it. During calm parts, you don't hear music very often, but when you DO hear music, it's usually because it's alerting you to some enemy. The music helps you a lot when it tells you if an enemy is still alive somewhere. I just wish that music was emphasized a little more

Graphics - 10/10: The graphics on this game are the BEST I've EVER seen on the gamecube. All the characters look amazing, their movements are fluid, and nothing gets stuck. The creators put a lot of detail into the graphics, even detailing the inside of the merchants coat, with separate items, that each make noise and move when he opens his jacket. Enemies are detailed incredibly well, making them look more human then the other games famous zombies.

Gameplay - 100/10: (Not a typo!) THIS GAME IS AMAZING! The creators FINALLY fixed the static camera, so now the camera is over Leon's shoulder, giving you a much more comfortable feel. Puzzles are tough to figure out, but not impossible, and enemies are tough to kill, some on the verge of impossible unless you have a strategy. The merchant is a new addition to this game, allowing you to buy and sell items, and upgrade your weapons to hold more ammo, fire quicker, or be more powerful. If you upgrade a gun fully, you unlcok it's "Execlusive" upgrade, which usually increases it's firepower a lot. The bosses each look and feel like they could be the final boss of any other game, each with unique strengths, and weaknesses. The BIGGEST change in my view, is how you can kill and enemy. Each body part of an enemy is able to be targeted, so you can shoot them anywhere.
Suppose an enemy has an axe and is coming towards you, at a fast pace (Don't forget, these aren't your daddies zombies anymore!) Now in past games, you would have to shoot at the head until you got a headshot to kill the enemy. Not anymore. You can shoot the arm that the axe is in, and cause the enemy to drop it, and grab their arm in pain. Now you have 2 options: 1) Shoot it until it dies, or 2) run up, press the "A" button, and kick it. This game bring in special commands to do actions, such as the kick just described here, or jump out a window. Whenever you move near something that you can use the action button with, the button will appear at the bottom, letting you know that you can do that action. This even applies to boss battles! Sometimes before a boss does an attack, you can press either the B+A or the L+R buttons (the game flashes to say which ones) to dodge the attack!
You can't even rest during the cut-scenes! This game brings the action-buttons to the cut-scenes. Suppose an enemy throws a knife at Leon in the scene. If you don't press the correct button combination which flashes across the bottom, Leon will bite the dust. You must always stay on your toes.
Phew! Almost done here! Now for the unlockables! This game has a good amount of unlockables. You can unlock new weapons, such as the famous infinite rocket launcher, new costumes for Leon, Ashley, and Ada, a short game called "Assignment Ada" and a mini-game called "The Mercenaries". Now with "Assignment Ada" you play as Ada Wong, and try to infiltrate an island base and steal 5 samples (I won't say what they are) Now this is short and entertaining for a while. The game is more fun with "The Mercenaries" You can play as 1 of 5 characters for this: Leon Kennedy, Ada Wong, Jack Krausser, The Hunk, or Albert Wesker. The objective is to kill as many enemies as you can in a stage. You are timed, but you can get time extensions to increase it. If you get 5 stars with each character, you unlock a special gun to use in the single-player game.
This is just a SHORT example to what's in the game. Long yes, but this is just part of it

Story - 10/10: I can't give away too much, but the initial story is that Ashley Graham, the President's daughter, has been kidnapped by a cult calling themselves "Los Illumindos" Leon Kennedy, (you) has been dispatched to a small European village to gain information on this kidnapping. The residents there don't seem to take kindly to strangers though, trying to kill you at every turn. But these people don't seem like zombies at all. Leon is reminded of this similar incident back at Raccoon City, where death was all around you, and the amount of time you had to live depended on the number of bullets in your gun...

Overall - 10/10: This game is amazing! If you have a gamecube, go out and buy this game right now! You will not be dissapointed! This game will take you a long time to beat fully, and you will die, but you will have tremendous fun playing it, I guarantee it!

All I've heard is that this is the 2nd best nintendo game of all time (now 3rd, because of TP:D, 1st was, it may be TP now, is OoT) I will not be able to get this game because my Mom would never EVER get a rated "M" game. great review, I hope to see more reviews from u in the future:cool:

Yeah, 100/10 preety much suits this game. You forgot one thing though. Once you are out of Ammo, I believe you have a combat knife to fight the Brazillian Non-Zombie Villagers off.

Every second of this game is ecstasy.
RE 4 could have been the last game ever made, and no one would care.
It's that good.

NOt only do you have a combat knife, but if those creepy-crawlies get to close to ya, you have a new roundhouse kick to send them flying! or kill them, yeah, that'll do.............

I don't really know what he thinks, but I saw the episode of Cheat! on it, and it said that new things you can do when you're outta ammo, are give 'em a roundhouse kick, or bust out the combat knife.......

Yeah, 100/10 preety much suits this game. You forgot one thing though. Once you are out of Ammo, I believe you have a combat knife to fight the Brazillian Non-Zombie Villagers off.
yeah 100/10 realy does suit this game -_-

Nice Review, I suppose this game is worth a review that long... its supposed to be really great. I cant get it for the same reason Ultimalink can't but my cousin has it for the PS2 and he loves it.

yeah 100/10 realy does suit this game -_-

Nice Review, I suppose this game is worth a review that long... its supposed to be really great. I cant get it for the same reason Ultimalink can't but my cousin has it for the PS2 and he loves it.
Teddy? Teddy can play RE4, and Wii can't!

Teddy? Teddy can play RE4, and Wii can't!
Lol.. nice use of Wii :D

I sould've clarified that the cousin I was referring to was my older cousin on the other side of the family who loves video games too. He's old enough to have been alive for my parents wedding and to own an NES system ;)

Lol.. nice use of Wii :D

I sould've clarified that the cousin I was referring to was my older cousin on the other side of the family who loves video games too. He's old enough to have been alive for my parents wedding and to own an NES system ;)
K. Still, could have split VA and Sound into two categories.

I agree with Animaldude. The standard review layout is there for a reason, and sound already has a small cut of the pie. What would voice acting be, 5%? And remember, not all games have VA, but all have sound. 4RE just happens to have both, and thus they can be weighed as parts of a whole. And yes, I know I wrote 4 Resident Evil. Ever seen the box?

I agree with Animaldude. The standard review layout is there for a reason, and sound already has a small cut of the pie. What would voice acting be, 5%? And remember, not all games have VA, but all have sound. 4RE just happens to have both, and thus they can be weighed as parts of a whole. And yes, I know I wrote 4 Resident Evil. Ever seen the box?
nope :D
I don't think that games deserve to be criticized for their voice acting... A lot of games don't even use voice acting and they turn out to be good. Voice acting is an added bonus.

Look it up on Wikipedia, they have a great picture.

Voice acting is indeed an added bonus, but I believe that a game with horible voice acting is worse than no voice acting at all.

Voice acting is indeed an added bonus, but I believe that a game with horible voice acting is worse than no voice acting at all.
True dat, but you could have a little more depth to peoples voices. You can't say the VA of 4RE wasn't great.

Lol it's funny how wikipedia has profiles on like every videogame... I think I'll look up this game

Back