• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

Zerg006

Loftwing
This is a review for Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii

Graphics: 9/10 - The graphics for RE:TUC are pretty good. Enemies are fleshed out very nicely, with tattered clothing and wounds. Environments are very detailed too, and look very nice. The problem though, is that the graphics are about the same as a high-quality gamecube game. It just looks to similar. Also, you never see your character except for the cut-scenes, and whenever you counterattack an enemy.

Audio: 10/10 - The audio for this game is amazing. The voice-actors for the characters really bring the characters to life, and zombies sound very zombie-ish. My personal favorite is Albert Wesker, the mastermind behind the whole Resident Evil outbreak. He sounds very cool and collected, adding credibility to his awesome super-human power and ruthlessness. Background music isn't used a whole lot though, which can be a plus or minus, depending on your preference. Personally, I prefer to not hear a whole lot of background, and I prefer to hear ambient sounds, like the rumbling of a train, or the sounds of unseen crows. It helps add to the atmosphere. There is background music though, which is more reserved for the boss battles.

Gameplay: 8/10 - As you may know, RE:TUC uses the Wiimote to aim with and uses a targeting reticule for, well, shooting. Shooting enemies is easy to pick up, yet it does require some strategy. Enemies have a certain weak-spot which when shot, deals a critical hit, instantly killing them. On zombies and Crimson Heads for example, (Crimson Heads are the undead form of a zombie. Yes it is possible. Look it up for details) their weak-spot is the forehead. Just the forehead. Not the mouth, or the eye. Shooting that spot though causes their head to burst apart and they die. Very satisfying. Also in some cut-scenes, they feature action-moves, such as diving though a doorway before an explosion kills you. These action-moves are also used during gameplay, from dodging an attack sometimes, to counterattacking a zombie who has grabbed hold of you. What hurts it however is the knifing. The knife is used more for enemies who are right up in your face, but it doesn't make sense with the leech enemies, who leap onto your face (aka your view). So essentially, they're making you slash at enemies who are on your face, on their undersides, so you're somehow either A) cutting your own face up you masochist, or B) can magically put your hand and knife inside your head and cut them. It doesn't make much sense.

Story: 10/10 - Personally I'm a big RE fan. This game helps to fill in plot holes between each game, and lets you find out what Albert Wesker was up to while the main story was going on. You play through each game in a separate chapter, minus some content, but you get the main plot. You play though Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 1, and Resident Evil 3. Why they skip RE2 I don't know, but I was disappointed to not get to play as Leon Kennedy, one of the characters from RE2 and the main character from RE4. There are secret missions, such as playing as Ada Wong in one, and HUNK as he extracts the G-Virus from Raccoon City before it's destruction.

Extras: 10/10 - The extras in this game are very very fun. From upgrading your weapons, to finding hidden documents explaining the Umbrella research, you will play for quite awhile in order to unlock everything. The best unlockable though is beating the game with an S rank on every mission on hard mode, letting you upgrade your weapons to have infinite ammo! Very fun!

Overall: 9/10 - I recommend that you buy this game if you can. While it is an on-rail shooter, it is still very fun to play. I know that I didn't talk about the WiiZapper in this, but that's because I didn't buy it, so I don't know how it is. The game offers replayability in the form of different routes in some missions, and a lot of unlockables. And don't forget about Co-Op!

Back