• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Rupees

Dakare

Deus Ex Machina
So, in a several Zelda games (TP in particular), there seems to be the issue that there is an over abundance of rupees. To me this is very irksome because I feel that they could have put something in the game to compensate for this.

In TP, yes they had the magic armor. But who actually used it? I personally bought it just to say that I had it. True, it cost a pretty penny, but I was able to recoup the funds quickly and never used the armor, so those funds went no where.

Most Zelda games also include arrows, bombs, etc. in the random drops, so you never have to buy them (or at least its rare that you need to buy them).

So how could Nintendo fix this issue? Several ways.

First, they could simply either decrease ammo drops, or rupee drops, or both.

Second, they could implement a figurine subquest, akin to the ones in WW and MC.

Third, they could have more items for sale, like the Magic Armor, Hawk's Eye, etc. (stuff that's practical, but not needed to advance the story). They could even have silly stuff for aesthetic changes, such as masks, different tunics, or rings (from the Oracle games).

They could also have aesthetic sword changes, such as being able to "buy" (most likely buy your way into an area) different swords, such as the Four Sword, Phantom Sword, etc. that would deal as much damage as the Master Sword. These swords could perhaps have special abilities of their own.

Also, instead on most sidequests/minigames giving you items (quiver upgrades, wallet upgrades, etc.), they could just unlock them in shops. If the minigames cost money to play (shooting range in OoT,MM), the item is given to you.

Another idea is upgrading Link's house. It seems like and interesting concept, and it's not completely unheard of in a Zelda game (Cow in OoT, statues in ALttP/FS).

Last of my ideas is upgrading Epona. Similar to upgrade your boat in PH (or train in ST), you could buy different items for Epona such as more "carrots" for boost, or new horse shoes (bronze, silver, gold for example) to make her faster in general. Perhaps new saddles for aesthetics.

So what are your ideas? Or your mockery at mine?

I'd say make a larger selection of weapons and/or weapon upgrades that can be purchased. TP was kinda lacking in this regard.

Couldn't agree more. MM had you buy the upgrades for your sword, OoT had the option to buy a new sword, both had you pay for the minigames to get the ammo upgrades. TP had, what, a shield you could buy? And the Hawkeye and Magic Armor, but those are arguably the most pointless items in Zelda. Even if the Hawkeye made you a sniper...

More customizable stuff would have been cool.

Really, though, the problem is this: You need money to buy things. If you don't have anything to buy, money becomes useless. There just isn't enough stuff to buy. You have a few swords and shields, and other useless items, but there was really nothing to spend on. I feel if you could hold more potions and only be able to buy them from shops, money would have more purpose. Half the time you're stuck in a dungeon where you can't buy anything anyway. You need to be able to buy things that you can stock pile for dungeon use.

Oh! You talking about being stuck in a dungeon without anything reminded me: They could bring back the Tingle Tuner! The tuner allowed you to revive your magic and health for a price, along with a bomb feature and levitation thing that acted like the hover boots. If you did an extra little side quest, you could also buy stuck like bombs and arrows from it!

And yoyolll: Yes, it was useful at some parts, but just to make those parts easier. You didn't need it at all, and when you used it, it was just to make it easier. If they had stressed stealth during the moblin camp area, or if they had a mini-game/ side quest thing that used it, that would have been awesome.

Also for shits and giggles, they should add in a shop that'll sell weapons that are the same as what you have, but look different. Like, the crossbow from Crossbow Training (same as bow) or the seed shooter from Oracle of Ages (same as slingshot). This could be the same shop that sells the Hawkeye, Magic Armor, and other such stuff.

In Oot there are the Gerudo theives. They capture you and chuck you in jail. But they leave you with all of your money... Why? Don't you think that, especially an a fortress of thieves they would take your money and equipment? Most of the games have places like that where you have to excercise stealth. If you fail there should be a penalty. You could have to do a sidequest to get some equipment back. You could have money stolen from you. Stuff like that would make the gameplay more realistic. Kind of like when your wooden shield catches on fire and you need to go buy a new one.

Come to think of it, in WW you needed to pay an absurd amount of money for TIngle to translate the Triforce Charts for you..

Let's hope that never happens again...

Back