• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Texas representative in desperate need of a third grade education

Joe Barton, a Republican representative of Texas, and long time denier of global warming, recently got it into his head that the way to advance his agenda of ignorance and fight off the sinister scientific community was to abruptly ask Steven Chu the question “Where does oil come from?” during a session related to discussion of global warming. A former Nobel Prize winner, and current secretary of energy, Steven Chu patiently tried to explain the issue in the ten seconds allotted to him, however Joe Barton proceeded to sneer at the idea of plate tectonics and continental drift. The Republican representative then proceeded to twitter the following message:
"I seemed to have baffled the Energy Sec with basic question - Where does oil come from?"
He also provided a link to the video of the question, citing it as a victory on his part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4VosDsEkQw

So I call on all Americans with a third grade education or greater to do their part, and try to explain the concept of continental drift to Joe Barton if you should ever meet him. You’ll probably have to use small words though.

I hate that man. How can you deny something if you don't know the first thing about it? People need to read more.

For instance I just had a chat with 2 people on this site that insisted CNN reported that the Obama Administration label ALL veterans and pro-life activists as terrorists. Of course when I asked for an article, both linked me to www.lifenews.com. Upon doing my own research, I found that:

(pdf) Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment

"(U//FOUO) Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are
attractive to rightwing extremists. DHS/I&A is concerned that rightwing
extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to
boost their violent capabilities."

and in a footnote:

"* (U) Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

Goes to show you to do your own research.

I hate that man. How can you deny something if you don't know the first thing about it? People need to read more.

For instance I just had a chat with 2 people on this site that insisted CNN reported that the Obama Administration label ALL veterans and pro-life activists as terrorists. Of course when I asked for an article, both linked me to www.lifenews.com. Upon doing my own research, I found that:

(pdf) Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment

"(U//FOUO) Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are
attractive to rightwing extremists. DHS/I&A is concerned that rightwing
extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to
boost their violent capabilities."

and in a footnote:

"* (U) Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

Goes to show you to do your own research.

The word ALL was never mentioned by me at least. I expressly said leaders.

As great as all those comments are, this one's probably the best:

"Well, shoot there Mister Scientist, my creationist textbook I gave my home-schoolers says God put oil in Alaska to make up for it being so darn cold all the time. Now who should I believe God or your fruity liberal education and your French Nobel Prize."

And here we go for our well educated government official, because you can never know too much:
http://www.kidsgeo.com/geology-for-kids/0043-plate-tectonics.php

I love at the end how Chu just goes "uhh...*sigh* yes, that's certainly what happened".

What I find ridiculous about this is that it's not even a political issue. It's a matter of science... Um, you know, the earth has some plates and they move and then stuff happens.

Do you mean to tell me that whenever someone said "drilling for oil" he thinks that people use hand drills in their walls and find oil??? I'm having issues here.

Back