• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Xbox the 360's problems

diezoberflote

Loftwing
I have to say I'm very proud to be an owner of a 360, but as many people know it's got its fair share of "glitches".

I just felt like pointing out the bad things I've noticed with my particular system. This is for anyone thinking of getting one, who wants an honest rundown of some downsides. Or for anyone interested.:D

Theyre not in any particular order.

1. Sometimes the disk tray jams and fails to open when I push the button.
This is not too serious, but may wear down the motor mechaninsm after a while. The cause is supposedly that the faceplate may be obstructing it's path. I find this hard to believe, but whatever. Its annoying.
When I saw the Wii and the PS3's disk slots I got jealous, haha. I think those slots are a little more effective than a tray, but you have to be careful that you don't SHOVE the disk into the slot. I HAVE FOUND A TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM! TO SEE, READ ABOUT IT BELOW WHERE YOU SEE THE BIG HAPPY YELLOW TEXT!

2. Overheating. I guess the cooling system must not be as effective as it should be, so this can be a problem after extended play. The game just freezes and diplayes an upsetting message. I dont think it damages the system too much.
THERE IS A CURE!!! Buy an Intercooler by Nyco and strap it to the back and bye bye overheating. If you're considering buying a 360, you MUST get an intercooler as well. Make sure you install it EXACTLY how they say, otherwise it'll do all kinds of wonky things. The Intercooler brings me to my next point.

3. Loudness. Yea, the intercooler makes it even louder than before ;) , thats what you get!
Its not that its bad for the sytem. It just gets bothersome. Of course you dont even notice once you get playing, so this is a minor complaint.

4. The external Power Supply. If someone broke into my house, I could use it to defend myself with.
It's literally the size and weight of a brick. The solution here? Set it somewhere behind the TV and forget about it. It isn't that big a deal.

5. Cord thickness..? Number 4 reminded me of how monstrously thick the cables are, making it sort of cumbersome to move the thing around. Again, this is a very minor complaint.

6. DISK READ ERRORS. Every system has them, but here's something interesting to note. Its hard to tell with the 360 whats a disk read error and whats overheating. BUT, once I bought the Intercooler, the disk read errors VANISHED. hmmmmm.

Alright, thats it for my complaints. Most of them are just annoyance issues and dont really affect the system's performance. I didnt put anything here on HD TVs, because thats...well, who cares.

There have been stories of totally defective units (ring of death etc.), which in all honesty gives me nightmares.....I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

one more thing the "ring of death" causes ur xbox to break due to a hardrive failure costing up to $140 to fix or be replaced. But im not sure about the overheating problem with the new models cause i have played on it for up to 18 hours once and have had no problems. this disc tray you cant open and close it fast cause they didnt make it that way. overall its pretty good

one more thing the "ring of death" causes ur xbox to break due to a hardrive failure costing up to $140 to fix or be replaced. But im not sure about the overheating problem with the new models cause i have played on it for up to 18 hours once and have had no problems. this disc tray you cant open and close it fast cause they didnt make it that way. overall its pretty good

yes the ring if death is the worst thing wrong with the early 360 models, though the problem seems to have cleared up. The heating thing is only occasionally bad, but I still suggest getting the intercooler.

about the disc tray...
I FOUND A TEMPORORY WORKING SOLUTION!
As soon as it gets stuck trying to come out, simply jimmy it back and forth slightly and it will come right out! This does support the idea that something is obstructing it's path, and I shall continue searching for a final cure.

Here's a fun story :)
Last night, while completing another 6 hour Fable 2 marathon, my fan tipped over and tapped the 360 console. At this point, the 360 completely flipped out and I heard a sinister vibrating noise. I ripped out the power cord to get the thing to stop. The disc then suddenly appeared out of the console. I flipped the thing over and what do I see? A half moon shaped scratched on my wonderful game. I popped it back in to see what would happen, and the disc could not be read.
:)
*bang*
:eek:

The game store at the mall has a disk finisher or w/e they are called and may be able to help. Otherwise, I'll be investing in another Fable 2 disk. Fable 2 apparently does not fall under the replacement program. Is there any other waranty I don't know about?

I'm so upset...I havn't played video games in months untill Fable 2 was released. And now...the darkness returns...

I am really looking forward to playing Fable II so this story is extremely upsetting. Does your 360 still work with other games or does it destroy those too? Depending on how deep the scratch is, the disk finisher might not help. If you can feel the scratch with your finger, it probably won't work.
You should write a Fable II review when you're all done!!

I probably will, its a great game! It'd just be better if I could, you know, play it :p.

I'm about to check the scratch. I guess a new copy is worth the $60 if I can't repair it.

And the 360 itself is okay, I think. I played Guitar Hero and Assassin's Creed this morning without any problems.

Update: I took it to one of the game stores in my city's mall. They fixed it for 3 dollars, and it looks and plays as good as new :)

YAAAY! That makes me happy. Phew, the terror is over. Yes I have no money for new games at the moment. However, Fable II will surely be one of the first ones I do actually buy.
Don't you feel glad whenever a real polished RPG is releashed on xbox? I find it refreshing from all the shooting and killing but that stuffs good too. there are other rpgs out now too that are looking really good.

YAAAY! That makes me happy. Phew, the terror is over. Yes I have no money for new games at the moment. However, Fable II will surely be one of the first ones I do actually buy.
Don't you feel glad whenever a real polished RPG is releashed on xbox? I find it refreshing from all the shooting and killing but that stuffs good too. there are other rpgs out now too that are looking really good.
Yeah. Infinite Undiscovery looks awesome, as does FF XIII. I might want one... If KH III goes dual system... o.o

Back