• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard-Super Smash Bros

yoyolll

Conspiracy Theorist
Ultimalink gave me a link to a Nintendo Hard article and I stumbled across this while reading it:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard

No need to read it (you lazy bastards), I've extracted the Super Smash Brothers part:

"While the AI in Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl isn't of Rubber Band variety, it still possesses reflexes well beyond any skilled human player, including, but not limited to:
  • Being able to parry/reflect any projectile with just the shield, something that requires frame-precision timing, thus rendering projectiles largely useless. Naturally, this is not an issue if the human player is using a character who does not possess a useful projectile.
  • Being able to Meteor Cancel, even at ridiculously high percentages, meaning KO'ing them off the bottom of the screen is very difficult, further limiting options. Again, human players are much less able to consistently MC. This is circumvented by KO'ing off the side or the top, but that requires more work, because more damage needs to be built up.
  • The grab range of computer opponents seems to be far greater than when human players use them, meaning we aren't as safe as we thought we were.
  • The AI also notices when items have appeared off screen, resulting in it running off in the middle of a heated duel to grab an item that it shouldn't have even noticed until it came on-screen (on no stage is this act of cheating more obvious than on the Temple stage, where the AI will happily abandon the fight all of a sudden to run all the way to the other side of the stage to grab a Pokeball that only appeared just a second ago.)
  • When it comes to knocking out Dragoon parts and Final Smash Balls out of people, there's usually a high chance that you will drop it from even the weakest attacks, but no matter how hard you hit the AI or how hurt they are, they will hardly drop the said items.
  • Speaking of Final Smashes, when the AI uses Sonic's or Pikachu's, not only are you the prime target, but they have PERFECT control over their powers, as in they will only miss once in a lifetime.
  • No Interface Screw in the world is going to deter the AI.
    • When Togepi appears and performs Night Shade, the screen goes COMPLETELY black. Not only you can't see what the hell you are doing, but the AI knows EXACTLY where you are in the darkness, making this Pokemon move more of a hindrance. Likewise, the Nintendog assist, which has a puppy cover up a significant amount of the screen, won't stop them either.
    • Also in Brawl, the AI have perfect bearings when the controls or the stage in Spear Pillar is reversed, making the fight much more harder and cheap than it needs to be.
    • Not to mention generally grabbing a Cloaking Device in any single player mode in Melee. There was an Event match that had both Fox and Falco permanantly invisible just to drive the opposing point home. Evil bastards.
    • Also, in a Fast special match, the computer will have obscenely good reflexes and is able to make moves faster than a human opponent can react, since it's not limited by human reaction time.
  • Don't even start with the pokeballs. When the computer gets one, they will throw an insanely powerful pokemon like Latios, Deoxys, or Groudon. But should you throw a pokeball, don't expect any such luck. You will get a Bonsly, a Munchlax, or a Wobuffett, all of which are nearly always completely useless. This is because the computer is a cheating bastard and the RNG hates you. And no, there is nothing you can do to even the odds.
  • And to top it all off, all this and more is characteristic of the AI on the easiest difficulty."
Easiest difficulty. Everyone's out to get you, one way or another.

I never really experienced any of these on easy; guess I'm just lucky :D. In either case though the AI is supposed to be unfair, just like life.

Re: The Computer Is A Cheating -Super Smash Bros

Yes, but the computer can never learn from its mistakes. Once you figure out how to KO it perfectly from respawn, you can use the same technique every time.;)

So true.

I was just playing Brawl in All-Star Mode on Normal difficulty. My oppenent tripped. I threw a Bomb-omb at him while he was down. HE SHIELDED WHILE TRIPPED, REFLECTED THE BOMB-OMB, AND COST ME THE MATCH!

Note that shielding while tripped is IMPOSSIBLE for players.

Back