• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The media

i am a teddy

Graverobber
Whoops. Actually, compared to the world at large...
usprimaries_2008.png

www.politicalcompass.org

While Gallup polls tend to be very accurate, both significant errors it has made predicted Republican victories. That being said, Obama currently has a 8% lead and just topped 50% for the first time. Read more here.

...did you just say 'Liberal Media'? That's a discussion for a different article. Oh, and try to keep slurs out of the thread. I don't want to have to start censoring people just because they can't control themselves.

It is my belief the television and newspapers are dominated by the liberals, while the radio is completely dominated by republicans.

Re: John Sidney McCain III's Running Mate

It is my belief the television and newspapers are dominated by the liberals, while the radio is completely dominated by republicans.

not really, depends on what station and network your tuning in to. for example fox news is definitely a republican network while cnn leans towards democrats.

Re: John Sidney McCain III's Running Mate

not really, depends on what station and network your tuning in to. for example fox news is definitely a republican network while cnn leans towards democrats.

Among those who regularly listen to talk radio, 41% are Republican and 28% are Democrats. Furthermore, 45% describe themselves as conservatives, compared with 18% who say they are liberal.

Just think. Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Hannity, Levin. All these names are conservative. Personally, I listen to them all, Savage the most.

I just kidnapped the previous three posts where they were off-topic and moved them here. Enjoy.

Just think. Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Hannity, Levin. All these names are conservative. Personally, I listen to them all, Savage the most.
Talk radio is almost completely locked up conservative with the exception of NPR, which tends to be moderately Democratic. Fox is utterly conservative, but the rest is very centrist, perhaps just the faintest hint of Democrat. Remember, the media's job is twofold - first, sell a story. Second, make sure you can keep selling stories. It behooves the media to prop up a faltering candidate, which I believe saved Obama in the primaries, and is currently covering McCain's... six. With Palin's recent attack on the media, however, I don't think it will continue to give her free publicity.

I just kidnapped the previous three posts where they were off-topic and moved them here. Enjoy.

Talk radio is almost completely locked up conservative with the exception of NPR, which tends to be moderately Democratic. Fox is utterly conservative, but the rest is very centrist, perhaps just the faintest hint of Democrat. Remember, the media's job is twofold - first, sell a story. Second, make sure you can keep selling stories. It behooves the media to prop up a faltering candidate, which I believe saved Obama in the primaries, and is currently covering McCain's... six. With Palin's recent attack on the media, however, I don't think it will continue to give her free publicity.

But if what you say is true, then the media would be falling over trying to get Palin on the news. Regardless of what you think about her, she made a bang. People would start to question the media if she weren't covered

The media has already done everything in it's power to inflate Palin. The media has an interest in being able to sell the story of McCain's VP pick, so they have elevated her record and speaking ability in order to make her a more interesting story.

But if what you say is true, then the media would be falling over trying to get Palin on the news. Regardless of what you think about her, she made a bang. People would start to question the media if she weren't covered
She did make a bang, and the news networks were falling over each other. Emphasis on past tense. She has more than enough skeletons in her closet be beset with politically sensitive questions if she isn't more careful about her... word choice.

EDIT: My internet went down briefly right before dinner. Looks like ID beat me to some of my point.

media is a bunch of brainwashing BS. vote according to ur beliefs not what those corporate moron down at the media say

I recently read an article that summed up what I think of our media. I'll quote the relevant passage down below, and the rest of the article can be found here: http://toddalcott.livejournal.com/222118.html#cutid1

"Conservatives keep demanding "Well, why doesn't Obama tell us his policy ideas?" Guess what: he has been, repeatedly -- it just hasn't been reported. Meanwhile, McCain fills the airwaves with anything but policy ideas and gets to frame the debate. He makes an advertisement that -- not even kidding -- suggests that his opponent is a child molestor, and the ad gets played, over and over and over, on all the news shows. Even if the showings are bookended by commentators saying it's an abominable piece of ****, it nevertheless has the intended effect of casting doubt on Obama.

Why does this happen? It happens because the news, for reasons too vast to go into here, is show business. The news is a TV show, just like American Idol and House and Project Runway. We're deciding who will lead the free world, and that means big ratings for news shows. A news show, just like any other TV show, needs characters and themes and drama and conflict and narrative, or else people will change the channel. An intelligent, passionate politician clearly outlining his plan for universal health care won't get an audience, but OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR WHAT SO-AND-SO SAID ABOUT SO-AND-SO?! works every time. Once a narrative is set into motion, the news outfits cling to it, develop it, emphasize it when the news fits and disregard the news when it does not. Because it makes for bigger ratings. The Republicans, who have clearly demonstrated over and over that they have no regard for their country and will gladly betray it for the sake of retaining power, are excellent crafters of narrative, which the news people fall over themselves to scoop up and broadcast. (This is the reason why I stopped watching television news.) And so McCain is "the maverick," even though he's clearly not, and Obama is "the elitist," even though he's the self-made son of an African goat-herd. The Republicans cannot possibly run on their record because their record has plunged the country into enormous debt and world-wide contempt, and so they must craft a narrative about how Obama sneers at hockey moms and why won't anyone protect poor little Sarah Palin from that big meanie? Facts don't matter -- the Republicans are quite open about that. All that matters is the narrative, and as I've recently noted, narratives often must avoid historical accuracy -- lie, essentially -- in order to work."

The Republicans cannot possibly run on their record because their record has plunged the country into enormous debt and world-wide contempt, and so they must craft a narrative about how Obama sneers at hockey moms and why won't anyone protect poor little Sarah Palin from that big meanie? Facts don't matter -- the Republicans are quite open about that. All that matters is the narrative, and as I've recently noted, narratives often must avoid historical accuracy -- lie, essentially -- in order to work."
Since when do Presidents attack their opponent's running mate?

Every TV News network except Fox News is extremely left, while Fox News is extremely right. I don't understand how someone could watch ABC Nightly News and when it's over, say that it was not bias. This was basically the format for one night:

• Explain how Sarah Palin is saving the Republican party
  • Go into detail about everything she's done wrong in her life
  • Make sure not to mention her approval rating is over 80%
  • Play 2 minutes of Barack Obama talking at a rally
  • Briefly mention that Barack Obama called her a Pig
The most ridiculous case i've seen recently, was on Nightline. About 20 minutes of the show was dedicated to bashing Sarah Palin and her seeing Russia from Alaska comment and bridge to nowhere position. They don't give the other side of the story. As for Fox it's just about the opposite. The 2 primetime shows are very balanced though in my opinion. O'Reilly doesn't take sides too obviously and Hannity and Colmes are two opposites.

The other thing that shows how clearly bias all the people in the news are is interviews. I watched Obama's interview with George Stephonopolous and was laughing at the softballs he was tossing him. Then last week I watched Palin get interviewed by Gibson and he was trying to get her to say something she'd regret the entire time.

Briefly mention that Barack Obama called her a Pig

I wanted to touch on this subject first. The fact that you seem to believe this blatant lie is an example of the Republicans ability to shape the narrative that was mentioned earlier. In the speech in question, Obama called the use of Sarah Palin to try and promote John McCain's economic plan, or as the case may be, his lack thereof, "Like putting lipstick on a pig." The comment clearly is calling John McCain's economic policy the pig, not Sarah Palin. 'Like putting lipstick on a pig' is a very common expression, it's one John McCain has used in the past. However, the McCain campaign jumped on the comment, and released an add blatantly lying and claiming Obama called Palin a pig. This is a non issue, but because the Republicans have successfully promoted the 'all questioning or critcism of Palin is due to sexism' narrative, the news stations pounced on it. The result being, that this lie is given free exposure and credibility.

Then last week I watched Palin get interviewed by Gibson and he was trying to get her to say something she'd regret the entire time.

Yes, with questions as complex and treacherous as "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?'' the interview is clearly another example of the sinister liberal media's attempts to destroy her.

You seem to have bought into the narrative of 'evil liberal news media attacking poor Sarah Palin' hook, line, and sinker. You seem genuinely more concerned and outraged not by the fact that Palin has lied and continues to lie about her past position on the Bridge to Nowhere and her foreign policy experience, but by the fact that members of the media dare to ask her questions about it.

Back