• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Widescale Global Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Zeroth

Loftwing
Good news!
Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on. No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.
A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change ever recorded, either up or down.
Scientists quoted in a past DailyTech article link the cooling to reduced solar activity which they claim is a much larger driver of climate change than man-made greenhouse gases. The dramatic cooling seen in just 12 months time seems to bear that out. While the data doesn't itself disprove that carbon dioxide is acting to warm the planet, it does demonstrate clearly that more powerful factors are now cooling it.
Let's hope those factors stop fast. Cold is more damaging than heat. The mean temperature of the planet is about 54 degrees. Humans -- and most of the crops and animals we depend on -- prefer a temperature closer to 70.

Historically, the warm periods such as the Medieval Climate Optimum were beneficial for civilization. Corresponding cooling events such as the Little Ice Age, though, were uniformly bad news.
http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm

How odd. The climate is pretty unpredictable. But instead of thinking of this as erasing my previous views, I should think of it as more like good news! Lets just hope it doesn't get too cold...

Still however, we should remember that this does not disprove global warming, the past few decades have been rising steadily is temperature.

Good news!
http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm

How odd. The climate is pretty unpredictable. But instead of thinking of this as erasing my previous views, I should think of it as more like good news! Lets just hope it doesn't get too cold...

Still however, we should remember that this does not disprove global warming, the past few decades have been rising steadily is temperature.
I was going to post this: http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=332289
But i think global warming topics are banned.
Of course we're talking about global cooling... so...

Lol Weather Channel founder is suing Al Gore!!
:)

Global warming is subtle, and I think this may actually be from the melting of the polar ice caps.

Or the sun continues to die.

Or the planet is getting farther from the sun.

Or, most likely, it's just getting colder.

Global warming is subtle, and I think this may actually be from the melting of the polar ice caps.
I thought you said that will happen in 100s of years...

There was actually a global cooling crisis people were preaching before it switched over to global warming...

I thought you said that will happen in 100s of years...

There was actually a global cooling crisis people were preaching before it switched over to global warming...
The ice caps are expected to almost completely melt by 2040.

That's if they are actually melting... If it is getting cooler, will they melt?
The overall planet temperature is still rising, only parts of the planet are getting cooler, which in my opinion is a sign of global warming, but for the sake of argument I'm not gonna try to prove it.

And of course they're melting, that's now undeniable: there is no ice where there used to be ice. The ice is G-O-N-E. It does not exist as ice anymore. There used to be ice there. It's not there anymore.

Global warming topics are most definitely not banned, but are subject to me being an *** and demanding people support their assertions, as I shall now:
The ice caps are expected to almost completely melt by 2040.
wikipedian_protester-774177.png

I got a question for everyone. (note I already know the answer, I'm looking to here your response.)

What causes Global Warming?

And let me be the first to say,

moz-screenshot.jpg
lolz-you-fail.jpg

That was for yoyolll, not Liriano :p

But people will say that humans are the cause because of the pollutants and stuff... And the cuttin g down of trees... "Carbon Dioxide Build-up"

Global warming topics are most definitely not banned, but are subject to me being an *** and demanding people support their assertions, as I shall now:

wikipedian_protester-774177.png
Sorry, I can't cite it, I read it in TIME magazine at the barber.
I got a question for everyone. (note I already know the answer, I'm looking to here your response.)

What causes Global Warming?
CO2 and other chemicals group up in the atmosphere and prevent heat from escaping. Usually plants would take care of the CO2, but they are also being killed off by human civilization. This heat causes the polar ice caps to melt, the ice caps which create and direct global winds which distribute heat around the planet. Once the caps melt, there will be no more warm climate in many parts of the planet, causing Ice Age.

Then global warming isn't a problem -.- It's the freaking nature of the EARTH!!!!!111!1!1111!!!!!! Who cares if an Ice Age comes? People will die yes, but it will also casue oppurtunity for other species to flpurish and develope!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH how can tempitur be going up and down at the same time AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am going to run for NJ state legislator in 2010 when I am 18 Vote for me and or Webmasterbob

Don't you have to be a minimum of 25 years of age to run for the NJ state Legislature?

I'm with Lt Justin. Though not about the political thing.
I hear the temperatures going down. I hear it's going up.
What a joke.

The sun heats us up, then the sun takes a vacation.

The atmosphere leaks heat, then starts holding it in.

Let's make sure that ice doesn't suddenly become denser than air, I at least want to finish my ~80 years before we all die.

The sun heats us up, then the sun takes a vacation.

The atmosphere leaks heat, then starts holding it in.

Let's make sure that ice doesn't suddenly become denser than air, I at least want to finish my ~80 years before we all die.
Heh, you have a point. With the way things are currently going, 2012 might not be that far off :p. I doubt your specific concern though, that would require a substantial shift in the laws of physics; Sol and Earth are a little more mutable.

I've never paid attention to any of this. People have been reporting global warming and cooling back and forth since the 50s. It's really only recently with people such as Al Gore stepping in that people have been brought into the hype.

So, that's why I just ignore the whole issue. If we're destined to die from extreme cold or heat, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back