• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Xenosaga Episode 1 (PS2)

diezoberflote

Loftwing
Here's a little review of one of my favorite Playstation RPG's.
Overview: Xenosaga is a futuristic tale of mankind's quest for survival (in space). It includes heavy references to all sorts of philosophy, and has an eerily religious twinge to it. It is an epic saga, so this is not the only Xenosaga there is.

Graphics: 8/10
The visuals of the game fit quite well. It is a mid-generation PS2 game, so there isn't a whole lot of flash. The enviroments seem to be the worst visual aspect. There are almost no textures on the walls, everything looks kinda blahhh. The character models are quite good. Battle animations are all solid, and some of the spell effects will make you go O_O.
The cinematics are AMAZING. While they are rare, you'll be sitting there in awe at their slendor.

Sound: 7/10
The sound is absolutely passable in all areas. The battle song will be in your nightmares for several years after you've finished the game, though. The background music is very futuristic and fits the atmosphere well. The music will not make you sit up and go "holy crap" but it is not an abomination, either.
The character voices are all EXCELLENT. Dubbing gets touchy here and there, but overall the voices were very well chosen.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
Yaaay, lots of RPG goodness! Character building, items, spells, weapons, it's all here in abundance. There's tons of battle strategy to get used to, the system is quite complex. It is turn based as most RPGs are, and the system works well. Operating the game never feels like a pain, everything works smoothly.
You'll be an absolute wiz by the end of it all.
Hey, if you don't like RPGs, the gameplay's gonna feel slow and boring. If you're into the whole "I'm on a huge quest to save mankind" then you'll find yourself deeply immersed in it all.

Story/Entertainment/Cinematic Quality: 9.5/10
I kinda made up this category just now so I can point out how amazing this game is. The story is phenomonal. The characters feel larger than life. Everything about the way the events in the game unfold give you such a feeling of mysterious intrigue, you'll be crying for joy. The plot is highly philosophical and might seem at times confusing or convoluted to those not fully engaged. You've gotta be totally in it or it'll just seem kinda dumb and drab.
Add in lots of political rivalry, backstabbing, frontstabbing, hallucinations, creepy little girls, and a main villain with the creepiest laugh of all time, and you've got one hell of a BIG adventure.
(The overall style is anime, by the way. Yes there are giant robots.)

OVERALL: 9/10
It's hard not to get wrapped up in this game. It took me around 75 hours to complete the main quest. That's a long time. Most of it was random battles. Get ready for one huge game, my friends.

Sounds pretty fun, maybe if I get a PS2, I'll pick it up after I get and beat KH and KH2(Sephiroth included..............actually, I don't think I could beat him, so.......yeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhh) Anyways, great review ;)

Back