• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Backmasking: the Satanic prayer.

yoyolll

Conspiracy Theorist
Backmasking is a technique used by some musicians to insert hidden messages in their music that can only be heard when played backwards (the word "one" is "now" when played backwards; many times this is unintentional).

Many people beleive backmasking can send subliminal messages, although this has never been proven. It all depends on the ability of the mind to understand english backwards.

Judas Priest was once charged with a young boy's suicide; one of their songs, when played backwards commanded to kill oneself.

Sometimes, backmasking can be funny (Weird Al's "Satan eats Cheez Whiz"), other times it can be creepy (the Beatles' "Paul is a dead man...miss him...miss him...MISS HIM"), but the ones that get the most attention are generally the Satanic ones (the Pokemon rap's *you heard me right* "I am Satan. I am Satan. I am Satan.")

This is a very good website for backmasking, though I strongly recommend you don't follow the link until you have finished reading the post:

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

For years, I have practically worshipped Led Zeppelin, I saw Jimmy Page as a sort of god, and I respected their music greatly.

One day, just as I was listening to "Stairway to Heaven", I discovered something ugly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTAekO8Zek

Yes, this is Stairway to Heaven played backwards with its supposed Satanic prayer. I immediately doubted this was true, and decided that someone had messed with it, I didn't even watch the first 20 seconds, but the thought lingered in my head, and I had to find out.

I researched this some more and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairway_to_heaven#Satanic_claims

This seemed much more beleivable but I still had my doubts. Robert Plant always wore a necklace with a cross on it (misleading? maybe).

I took the song straight out of the cd and played it in reverse. Some phrases immediately became clear: "I live with Satan. The Lord turns me off." "Here's to my sweet Satan." "He gives...666."

The second time I played it, I listened closely to the begining (end) and a distinct phrase made me realize it was true: "Play backwards. Here why it is sung here, oppositioner."

The "prayer" is about how someone (called "I", but many songs where the subject was "I" were actually about others) turned away from Jesus Christ and found a place with Satan, even though Satan treated him badly.

I did not want to beleive Led Zeppelin would do this, but it became too obvious.

I don't know what they were thinking when they were writing this (and denying it) but Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are musical geniuses and could've easily done this.

There is much to explore in the world of backmasking. I have recently found the famous hidden messages in "Detroit Rock City" by Kiss, and proved (to myself) that "Another Bites the Dust" backwards is in fact "It's fun to smoke marijuanna."

Okay, really creepy there. Thanks for another sleepless night of wondering if they really ment to do it or not. Thanks a lot.

I just checked the Stairway to Heaven one, and it doesn't sound very clear played backwards. With the sound that chopped up, it's more of a matter as to what you're listening for than what's actually there.

John Lennon put stuff showing (usually symboliclly) Paul's death in nearly all the albums. The Beatles are guilty, but it's only the fault of one of them.

I just checked the Stairway to Heaven one, and it doesn't sound very clear played backwards. With the sound that chopped up, it's more of a matter as to what you're listening for than what's actually there.
It's the beginning (end), man, he says it so clearly: "Hear why it's sung here."

Dakare, do you mean the Jeff Milner one? Some of that stuff is creepy.
Especially "I shot John Lennon."

Yea, I mean it would make sense that she shot john lennon, but that's not the point.

But my question is, if Led Zepplin purposely did the backmasking, why didn' they do gibberish like other people did? To me personally it seems too blurry to acctually be a message. It could just be a mind trick. You think you're gonna hear something, so you twist the sound in your head to make it sound like that. You can do that with Tom Petty's "Free Falling". Just think he's saying "free balling" instead, and sure enough it sounds like that.

But my question is, if Led Zepplin purposely did the backmasking, why didn' they do gibberish like other people did? To me personally it seems too blurry to acctually be a message. It could just be a mind trick. You think you're gonna hear something, so you twist the sound in your head to make it sound like that. You can do that with Foo Fighter's "Free Falling". Just think he's saying "free balling" instead, and sure enough it sounds like that.
That's what everyone said, but I never actually knew what I was listening for. I was in complete denial that there was a message in this song and I was just listening to assure myself that I was right, but I heard it, and it was undoubtedly there.

holy crap.... the jeff milner stuff is giving me chills... "hotel california" backwards is really clear... i cant really here the pokemon rap stuff, but stairway to heaven is very clear, another one bites the dust is too...

holy crap.... the jeff milner stuff is giving me chills... "hotel california" backwards is really clear... i cant really here the pokemon rap stuff, but stairway to heaven is very clear, another one bites the dust is too...
I'm pretty sure Another Bites the Dust was an accident.

Have you heard "Number Nine"? It's so creepy (especially if you're in bed in the middle of the night in pitch black staring at the ceiling imagining all the horrible things that could happen to you at that moment).

I heard that 'Another one bites the dust' played backwards says: "It's fun to smoke marijuana" Did I hear it correctly? That is disturbing...

Yea you guys have never really heard those? Number Nine sounds like "Turn me on dead man" backwards.

Another song to listen to backwards is Fire on High by ELO. The beginning sounds like warble played forwards, but backwards, it says "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back.." which fades away.

And a funny song to listen to with backmasking is Backmask (warning!) by Mindless Self Indulgence. Forwards it says "Play that record backwards / Here's a message yo for the suckas / Play that record backwards / And go **** yourself" Backwards it says "Respect your parents", "Clean your room", "Do your homework", and "Eat your vegetables"

Another is Nature Trail to Hell by Weird Al, which says "Satan eats cheese whiz" backwards

I heard that 'Another one bites the dust' played backwards says: "It's fun to smoke marijuana" Did I hear it correctly? That is disturbing...

And I just noticed how UltimaLink007 posted that about marijuana on 4/20. Haha coincidence anyone?

Yea you guys have never really heard those? Number Nine sounds like "Turn me on dead man" backwards.

Another song to listen to backwards is Fire on High by ELO. The beginning sounds like warble played forwards, but backwards, it says "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back.." which fades away.

And a funny song to listen to with backmasking is Backmask (warning!) by Mindless Self Indulgence. Forwards it says "Play that record backwards / Here's a message yo for the suckas / Play that record backwards / And go **** yourself" Backwards it says "Respect your parents", "Clean your room", "Do your homework", and "Eat your vegetables"

Another is Nature Trail to Hell by Weird Al, which says "Satan eats cheese whiz" backwards
Do you realize that was all in the first post?
And I just noticed how UltimaLink007 posted that about marijuana on 4/20. Haha coincidence anyone?
It was probably an accident, it was so garbled and you really had to be listening for it.

Do you realize that was all in the first post?

It was probably an accident, it was so garbled and you really had to be listening for it.

Point out to me where the first post mentions ELO and Mindless Self Indulgence. Go on point it out to me. That's not in the first post.

And the one with marijuana I found funny since 4/20 is stoners holiday

It's in one of the links *first one I believe*. It leads you to a site with several different backmaskings, but I don't think it has Mindless Self Indulgence.

Point out to me where the first post mentions ELO and Mindless Self Indulgence. Go on point it out to me. That's not in the first post.

And the one with marijuana I found funny since 4/20 is stoners holiday

It's in one of the links *first one I believe*. It leads you to a site with several different backmaskings, but I don't think it has Mindless Self Indulgence.
Yeah, it has the Weird Al one, Another one bites the dust, Revolution, and ELO.

Follow the links before doubting people.

Ok look, I was in a rush yesterday and I didn't have time to click each link. I just quickly scanned the previous posts so that's why I repeated some songs. But the MSI one is still pretty funny

Ok look, I was in a rush yesterday and I didn't have time to click each link. I just quickly scanned the previous posts so that's why I repeated some songs. But the MSI one is still pretty funny
That is pretty funny, "clean your room", hahaha.

hmm i decided to finnaly look into this xD

i heard the "It's fun to smoke marujuana" but i agree with yoyall, i think it was an accident.

i listened to the poke rap and really heard nothing but giberish and i also heard the pokemon theme backwards...its possible somethings there that says "worship the devil'' but its really hard to tell

as for stairway to heaven, i really dont want to know...i'll just keep listening to that one forwards, which is the way i like it

Interesting...I listened to hit me baby one more time backwards after hearing a rumor, and it says something like

"Sleep with me, I'm not to young"

I know I'm a bit behind, but, lots of people knew about the Stairway to Heaven, Pokerap, and the other songs that have Satanic messages, if played backwards. Honestly, it's old news.

I know I'm a bit behind, but, lots of people knew about the Stairway to Heaven, Pokerap, and the other songs that have Satanic messages, if played backwards. Honestly, it's old news.

i know, i just wanted to hear it for myself and put what i heard

Back