• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Somewhat Controversial Healthcare Bill in U.S.

Linkman

Loftwing
I thought it would be interesting to get everyone's two cents. What do you all think of the 1,000 page healthcare bill that will, essentially, create socialized healthcare?

Personally, I think we do need to do something about the huge cost the industry puts on people, but there's no reason to create a government run program. Seriously, look at Canada and Great Britain! When Canadians are flocking to the United States to get healthcare before they die there's clearly something wrong with a social system.

Umm...Canadians aren't actually doing that.

Sicko is a really informative documentary about world healthcare systems. Canadians are quite fond of their healthcare and most of the things you hear about it are myths, such as doctors not being paid, people waiting months for treatment etc.

Socialized healthcare is most beneficial to the people with health insurance who aren't getting coverage because of ridiculous reasons.

For example, my sister dropped her mirror on her leg a few years ago and got a huge gash in her thigh. We paid 3,000 dollars to get it stitched up. Our insurance didn't pay for it because it wasn't important apparently.

My mother has an inner ear problem that makes her susceptible to ear infections and causes headaches and nausea. Our *new* insurance didn't cover the treatment because, according to them, it isn't necessary. We are still fighting for this one.

Health insurance companies are simply money grubbing pig industries who reward their workers to deny clients health insurance. They've been sued for it too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicko

I highly recommend anyone interested in this issue watches the documentary.

There was a thread recently on the SomethingAwful forums.

If you can't read that thread because you aren't registered, here it is:

Usually I'm not an overly-patriotic Canadian, but some of the slanderous lies being put forth about my country by members of the US Congress in connection to the debate on health care are enough to make my blood boil Specifically, these two quotes, taken from

http://www.embassymag.ca/page/view/...ngton-7-15-2009

Embassy Magazine posted:

Congressman Louie Gohmert, a Republican from Texas, decided to dispense with hearing more troublesome positive facts about Canada by proclaiming on July 9: "I know enough about Canadian care, and I know this bureaucratic, socialized piece of crap they have up there..."

Republican Paul Broun of Georgia seems to believe that Canadians are a callous bunch. Speaking on July 10, Broun said, "Life is precious. Some would say, 'Well, she's 85 years of age; we should just let her die.' And that's exactly what's going on in Canada and Great Britain today. They don't have the appreciation of life as we do in our society, evidently."
I don't mind that our contributions in World War 2 and Afghanistan are glossed over, I don't mind that we're seen as America's pothead little brother, but this blatant false representation of one of the proudest aspects of Canadian society has made me absolutely sickened.

So, let's post our experiences with the health care systems of our countries. Doesn't matter if they're negative experiences with the Canadian system or positive experiences with the American one, let's hear some real personal anecdotes as to how we've been treated and how much we've paid.

I live in Victoria, BC, Canada, and when I was twenty years old I fell down a flight of forty stairs at a local night club, cleanly breaking my ulna and nigh-shattering my radius. It was bad enough that I required steel plates and pins which remain in my forearm to this day. I broke it on the Friday night, stayed in a small but comfortable ward in the hospital with four other patients until my surgery on the Sunday morning. I stayed in the hospital the Sunday night, then asked if I could stay the Monday as well and talk to a physiotherapist about what I should do to have the bones heal as quickly as possible with minimal muscle damage/loss. They obliged. I wasn't feeling so hot after talking to physio, so I was offered a further night's stay at the hospital, which I accepted. So in all, I was in hospital from Friday night until Tuesday morning.

Total cost to me for a three day hospital stay, surgery, and eventual rehabilitation: if I recall correctly, I paid $50 for my full-arm cast.

Funny thing was, my health care was covered by my employer, which was an outsourced AT&T Wireless Call Center. The people at call centers in the States that I talked to over the course of the job told me that they received no health coverage whatsoever at the same job. If you are an employer in Canada and you DON'T offer to cover the full cost of healthcare, then good luck having any employees whatsoever.

There's a reason that in a National poll Tommy Douglas, the man who introduced universal healthcare, was voted as the most important Canadian of all time by our citizens. I hate hearing all this garbage from politicians from both parties deriding the Canadian system. If they tried to change it there would be riots in the streets.

You should also read this: http://www.amsa.org/studytours/WaitingTimes_primer.pdf

So the man got a cast, whoopy. What about diseases and cancers?

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/27976/

Americans have a better survival rate for 13 of the 16 most common cancers than Europe. Take prostate cancer: 91.9 percent of men live through it, versus 73.7 percent in France and just 51.1 percent in Britain.

Or that every year Britain's National Health Service cancels about 100,000 operations. Think of it this way: When you're counting on a procedure that means life or death, you don't want to have some bureaucratic bonehead who's only counting dollars and cents. And you certainly don't want to be standing in a long line, like the one million Brits currently waiting to be admitted to a hospital and another 200,000 just hoping to get on a waiting list.

There was a thread recently on the SomethingAwful forums.
You should also read this: http://www.amsa.org/studytours/WaitingTimes_primer.pdf

So the man got a cast, whoopy. What about diseases and cancers?

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/27976/
You just gave an article that the previous post destroyed.

"Statistics show it's even worse in Canada, where 800,000 of their 33 million citizens are on waiting lists for more than 18 weeks"

Oh and here is where it really gets to me:
"We get annoyed when it takes 45 minutes to see the doctor — at least we get to see one!"
It takes 45 minutes to see a GENERAL PRACTITIONER anywhere. When my sister got that cut on her leg, she waited 3 hours outside the emergency room. And then we paid 3,000 dollars for 4 stitches.

Now what the hell is this:
"And are we really going to listen to and follow in the footsteps of Europe, the place that when it gets a little hotter than usual — like it did in August of 2003 — they have 37,000 people die?"
Thanks, droughts and heat strokes are my source of humor. This has nothing to do with healthcare, not to mention most of the people who died were elderly. Oh also, northern Europe is a usually cool/cold place. When it hits 104 degrees Fahrenheit, I wouldn't say it "gets a little hotter than usual."

I don't think I have to tell you American cancer treatments are the best in the world (except Cuba, the communist country that came up with a vaccine for lung cancer: http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=42965) and that has nothing to do with socializing healthcare. Cancer research is governed by how much money is put into research. Americans donate a lot of money to cancer causes, the healthcare system makes no difference.

I'd advise you not to use Fox news as a source since everything they say can easily be dismantled.

Just because that one man in the article from Somethingawful (which I may add is not as reputable as Fox) contradicts my article, does not mean that is debunks mine. He was one instance of a lucky man.

The man LIVES in Canada. You're saying the person with first hand experience is less reliable than Glenn Beck talking about a liberal idea?

Give a few examples. As far as I know (from Sicko) Canadians are afraid to cross the border without health insurance.

Give a few examples. As far as I know (from Sicko) Canadians are afraid to cross the border without health insurance.

If I may point out, without throwing myself into the debate, just as the Fox News Channel is a fairly poor place to get balanced ideas...anything by extreme liberals (such as Micheal Moore) are just as bad of a resource to obtain information from. What we really need to look at are facts, not the media's enjoyment of twisting logic to fit their ideology.

OK, continue your rants :).

Did you happen to read the comments underneath the articles? It looks like someone already made my argument for me and you just handed it here.

"Marc Brown wrote: David, I’m getting worried about you. Do you actually have any experience of the Canadian, French and UK healthcare systems you belittle, with mostly single anecdotes and out of date data? And do you really believe all the right wing rhetoric pouring from the far right such as Mark Steyn, whose book America alone is the most absurd, thinly veiled racist tome, having us believe Europe will be overrun by militant Islamists in a generation?
On the matter to hand, just pick up ‘liberal’ papers such as Businessweek.
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070621_716260.htm
In this piece you’ll find:
‘One of the most repeated truisms about the U.S. health-care system is that, for all its other problems, American patients at least don’t have to endure the long waits for medical care that are considered endemic under single-payer systems such as those in Canada and Britain. But as several surveys and numerous anecdotes show, waiting times in the U.S. are often as bad or worse as those in other industrialized nations…”
In other words: you need to get out more."

"Morris Berg wrote:
Waiting Times For Care? Try Looking At The U.S. - Nurses, Doctors Say It’s Time To Debunk The Myths
[***]
“There’s been a lot of clamor lately about delays in care in some other countries. But if you want to see some really unsightly waiting times, look at U.S. medical facilities,” said Deborah Burger, RN, president of the 75,000-member CNA/NNOC.
While the problem has been largely overlooked by the major media, it was quietly exposed by the chief medical officer of Aetna, Inc. late in Aetna’s Investor Conference 2007 in March.
In his talk, Troy Brennan conceded that “the (U.S.) healthcare system is not timely.” He cited “recent statistics from the Institution of Healthcare Improvement… that people are waiting an average of about 70 days to try to see a provider. And in many circumstances people initially diagnosed with cancer are waiting over a month, which is intolerable,” Brennan said.
Brennan also recalled that he had formerly spent much of his time as an administrator and head of a physicians’ organization trying “to find appointments for people with doctors.”
While Brennan’s comments went unreported by the media, his data matches several studies and a report in a June 22 Business Week article which opened by citing the case of a New York woman who had to fight for a timely second exam following suspicious results from a first mammogram and then still had to wait a full month.
The article also noted a University of California San Francisco research report last year that documented average waits of 38.2 days to get an appointment with a dermatologist to examine a possibly cancerous mole.
A Commonwealth Fund study of six highly industrialized countries, the U.S., and five nations with national health systems, Britain, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, found waiting times were worse in the U.S. than in all the other countries except Canada. And, most of the Canadian data so widely reported by the U.S. media is out of date, and misleading, according to PNHP and CNA/NNOC.
In Canada, there are no waits for emergency surgeries, and the median time for non-emergency elective surgery has been dropping as a result of public pressure and increased funding so that it is now equal to or better than the U.S. in most areas, the organizations say. Statistics Canada’s latest figures show that median wait times for elective surgery in Canada is now three weeks.
[***]
In support of your argument, you cite two anecdotal articles written by people who are “employed” at think tanks funded by (among others) Exxon Mobil, Chase Manhattan, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Lilly Endowment, Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Sarah Scaife Foundation, Roe Foundation, Smith Richardson Foundation (Gatzberg - MI) and ChevronTexaco, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Pfizer, PhRMA, and the Lilly Endowment (Pipes - PRI).
Not persuasive."

"Marc Brown wrote:
How about the point that there is no primary source for year by year wait times in the US, unlike other countries?"

"Jeff Gannon wrote:
I find it sickening that Americans have the gall to point fingers at the Canadian healthcare system. Not only is it superior in almost everyway - it works. Sure, of course it is not infallable - what system is? Of course people die waiting for treatment - but that isn’t because the system failed them - other factors are present. Everyone can’t use the same equipment at the same time - that is only logical - regardless of where you live - there are always going to be more patients than doctors/hospitals/available equipment. This is not a Canadian healthcare issue - it would be the same in ANY country regardless of the system in place. So to say that Canadians are dying waiting for treatment is a stretch of the truth without including the necessary facts to understand why. The system is not to blame - it works fine - not perfect, but again - which system is? The fact is - there are alot of sick and injured people out there and the Canadian system itself does not turn anyone away. Like waiting in line at McDonalds for your Big Mac - you will get served - but to think that you HAVE to be first in line - and get treatment immediately over the other people that are ahead of you is a ludicrous argument - wait your turn - you WILL get served. Unfortunately, if you die while waiting - your death will only add to the growing number of American HMO’s argument of - “See! The Canadian healthcare system failed another one”
The fact is these large conglomerate drug companies and HMO don’t want to see a Canadian system adopted - because they know that it is a cashcow for them. Their system of greed and unethical performance would come under scrutiny and indeed be in question under the Canadian model.
One must keep in mind that in America Insurance companies are fighting over themselves to get your business. They all offer the best service “since sliced bread”, and promise to be there for you when you need them. As we know, that isn’t always the case. Often people are denied on technicalities ranging from denial of treatment due to any number of reasons ranging from experimental, to cosmetic. Often patients are denied the proper insurance to cover many of their ailments because the HMO’s don’t want to make a payout unless they absolutely have no other choice. This is a daily fact of life for many people with health insurance living in America.
Now one must ask, why would the HMO’s and drug companies stop at nothing - including unfair propaganda touting the ills of the Canadian healthcare model? Well, the answer is really quite simple. Under the Canadian healthcare system - private healthcare from Insurance companies is illegal. It is illegal for a Canadian citizen to seek out an Insurance company and pay for their service.
Under the Canadian model - all of these private and/or state run insurance companies would go out of business. Considering that their way of life is at stake - it is no wonder that these companies would do and say anything to make the Canadian Healthcare system look flawed and imperfect. They are fighting for survival.
Understanding this is key to understanding how their mindset works.
Now you know why they insist that the Canadian system is flawed."

*continued in next post*

"Gerard Freisinger wrote:
Writing from the perspective of 40 years as a physician in practice and someone who has been a patient.
Please read “Phantoms In The Snow” written by Katz and Evans, et al in HEALTH AFFAIRS in 2002. It is a study of the number of Canadians coming to the US for health care. Very few. Not anecdotes but an actual study. We all have anecdotes. I can use them to show how US patients go to India for bypass surgery or Canada for lasik surgery.
We seem to think a government system with 3% overhead is more expensive than an HMO system with an average of 27% overhead. We seem to think a system which is based on stock holder profit vs patient welfare is ethically superior in the name of capitalism.
The handwriting has already been written on the downside of so called free enterprise. The banking system and the US auto industry have collapsed and require federal bailout. Pity the poor car dealer who, I believe, was held in the lowest esteem of all professions. Greed was the basis of failure in both the banking and auto industry. Private health insurance is next on the block. Check on the salary and benefits of top wall street CEOs, top auto industry CEOs and top HMO CEOs.
The nay sayers -Republicans - have little to offer other than sniping. Their philosophy is… “I have mine, #$@^ you”.
How about social responsibility as number one and greed as number two?"

"Truth seeker wrote:
Only twenty (.1%) of 18,000 respondents to the 1996 Canadian NPHS survey indicated that they had gone to the United States in the previous 12 months expressly for the purpose of getting health care. No wonder Canadians are not scrapping their system for ours. No wonder the politician who instituted their health care plan was voted “Most Outstanding Canadian.”
Conversely how many U.S. citizens go to Canada for their drugs?"

"David wrote:
I just want to add in some comments about my healthcare in the USA. I have always carried insurance, either group or individual insurance. In 1992 I had an individual policy with Blue Cross. I had developed symptoms that caused me promlems with my heart. I had to have surgerie to remove the linning from my heart. I had to wait 3 and half months before having the operation. Then my insurance would not pay all the bills and I had to send letters and make calls to get my bills paid. Oh and while I was in the hospital the billing department called my room. They could not even wait for me to leave the hospital. Anyway now I have a pre-exsisting conditon that rates me up so high that paying for medical insurance is like making a house payment. Some insurance companies will not even write a policy for me at all. I would welcome a national healthcare like Canada. Oh and when I lived in Florida I went to see a doctor and had an appointment in advance. I waited over 2 hours in the waiting room just to get five minutes of his time and he billed my insurance over $100.00 for that visit."

You like to throw links at me without explaining anything. Two can play that game.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070621_716260.htm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/76295.php

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/25/local/me-wait25

http://delong.typepad.com/egregious_moderation/2007/07/mark-kleiman-ho.html

EDIT: Wow Bob. "Removed pointless bandering"? You mean the part where I made a rebuttal to your pitiful argument? Way to silence the opposition, communist.

I never trust news sources (especially blogs). You really need to check the sources.

Of course there is going to be more of a delay in socialized health care, but think of how many more people who could never afford the care are actually getting treated! Wouldn't you wait a little longer for someone else with a much more serious condition? I would.

I never trust news sources (especially blogs). You really need to check the sources.

Of course there is going to be more of a delay in socialized health care, but think of how many more people who could never afford the care are actually getting treated! Wouldn't you wait a little longer for someone else with a much more serious condition? I would.

I would too, but not everyone is a saint like you Capt.

Is it not clear to people the EVERYONE in the US does have access to healthcare some choose not to buy it. You can buy your own healthcare or you can get Medicade. Health care is not a crisis in the US i dont' know why democrats think it is, if they pass this you can call it an end to the democrats. In that stupid conference obama had about it he accused pediatricians of taking kids tonsels out for the profit he is such and idiot. know obama said if you like what you have you can keep it but HE IS LIEING, we will still have to pay for his new healthcare plan in the form of taxes.

People wonder why our health care is so expensive its because of government healthcare in the form of medicare. Someone getting a surgery with medicare might pay $700 for it when it really costs the doctor $1700 for the surgery so they put the burden on the people who can pay for, the people with privite health care systems.

Oh yea obama made fun of priavte healthcare companies because they *gasp* get ready for this...they made a profit....oooooo Thats how they pay their employees and provide a good service for their customers.

Oh yea does anyone realize how many jobs his idea will cost?????

Is it not clear to people the EVERYONE in the US does have access to healthcare some choose not to buy it. You can buy your own healthcare or you can get Medicade. Health care is not a crisis in the US i dont' know why democrats think it is, if they pass this you can call it an end to the democrats. In that stupid conference obama had about it he accused pediatricians of taking kids tonsels out for the profit he is such and idiot. know obama said if you like what you have you can keep it but HE IS LIEING, we will still have to pay for his new healthcare plan in the form of taxes.

People wonder why our health care is so expensive its because of government healthcare in the form of medicare. Someone getting a surgery with medicare might pay $700 for it when it really costs the doctor $1700 for the surgery so they put the burden on the people who can pay for, the people with privite health care systems.

Oh yea obama made fun of priavte healthcare companies because they *gasp* get ready for this...they made a profit....oooooo Thats how they pay their employees and provide a good service for their customers.

Oh yea does anyone realize how many jobs his idea will cost?????
Ok, working through the misspellings and horrible grammar, I think what you're trying to say is our healthcare is expensive because people with insurance pay for medicaid? If that is what you're saying, you know absolutely nothing about the healthcare system. And if it isn't, please explain.

Also, Obama's largest target in the plan is not the people who don't have medical insurance, it's the people who do have it but are denied coverage or aren't given complete coverage from what they do have.

Reread (because I'm sure you read it before posting) my first post in which I gave examples of how my health insurance company isn't covering my family's needs.

Also, check this out:
The current health care system in Taiwan, known as National Health Insurance (NHI), was instituted in 1995. NHI is a single-payer compulsory social insurance plan which centralizes the disbursement of health care dollars. The system promises equal access to health care for all citizens, and the population coverage had reached 99% by the end of 2004. NHI is mainly financed through premiums, which are based on the payroll tax, and is supplemented with out-of-pocket payments and direct government funding. In the initial stage, fee-for-service predominated for both public and private providers.
NHI delivers universal coverage offered by a government-run insurer. The working population pays premiums split with their employers, others pay a flat rate with government help and the poor or veterans are fully subsidized. Taiwan’s citizens no longer have to worry about going bankrupt due to medical bills.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care#cite_note-NPRart-63
Under this model, citizens have free range to choose hospitals and physicians without using a gatekeeper and do not have to worry about waiting lists. NHI offers a comprehensive benefit package that covers preventive medical services, prescription drugs, dental services, Chinese medicine, home nurse visits and many more. Working people do not have to worry about losing their jobs or changing jobs because they will not lose their insurance. Since NHI, the previously uninsured have increased their usage of medical services. Most preventive services are free such as annual checkups and maternal and child care. Regular office visits have co-payments as low as US $5 per visit. Co-payments are fixed and unvaried by the person’s income.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_health_care#cite_note-64

I didn't say that was the only reason healthcare is expensive it is also because of several reasons that one i was refering to is a BIG reason so is this crap about people using Emergency rooms as doctors office beacause its free and they dont' have to pay for it. any ways, you must have copy and pasted your information about taiwan and you said...

which are based on the payroll tax

So your saying their healthcare is based on taxing their income. OUR INCOME IS TAXED ENOUGH. People should remeber democrats NEVER saw a tax they didn't like.

I encourage you to look at this picture to see how much of people's income actually gets taken by the government.

mazeba.jpg

In Europe, about 60% of a normal citizen's income will go to taxes. What do they get in return? In France, new mothers get free babysitters for their children. In England, an average worker can take off 3 months with pay if he is too sick to leave the hospital (while in the U.S. you would lose your job for getting sick like that.) The best thing they receive, however, is full medical coverage. Like I said in my first post, our healthcare system is NOT adequate for millions of people in the United States. Isn't it unfair that we give money to insurers that try their hardest to not give us medical care?

And yes, I did copy paste my information about Taiwan. I figured I'd save you the trouble:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/profiles/Taiwan.pdf
http://www.gio.gov.tw/taiwan-website/4-oa/politics/hct20011205.htm
http://www.martsoft.com/reference/healthcare/tw_nhi_2003Sep.pdf
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/oct/07/taiwangetshealthy
http://www.westga.edu/~bquest/1999/hmo.html

The goverment has no right to tell me what meds i can or cant get (because the bill also makes paying out of pocket illegal) or wheater my grand mother can get her knee replaced this not where we need goverment involvment look at how fucked up Social Security has become I am legitly scared of this bill and of how fast Osama it trying to shove it down every ones throat with out letting us read it in entirety

also side note I still want to see with my own eyes his "birth Certificate"

Back