• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

No more Game Boy

Dakare

Deus Ex Machina
In an interveiw with GameDaily BIZ, George Harrison said that they would NOT release another Game Boy system.

IGN said:
UK, July 17, 2007 - Thanks to the incredible success of the DS, it's possible Nintendo may be waving good bye to the Game Boy - which has been going strong since 1989 - as George Harrison confirms the company may never return to one of its best know brands.

Speaking to GameDaily BIZ, senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications George Harrison revealed: "This year in our marketing you really won't see much push against Game Boy itself, so it will kind of seek its own level. It's hard to say in the future if we will ever bring back the Game Boy trademark."

Back in 2005, Nintendo launched the DS as the 'third pillar' of its hardware line-up, alongside Game Boy and its home console. However, the DS's meteoric rise has apparently put the kibosh on any plans to release a Game Boy Advance 2.

However, Harrison noted that dropping the Game Boy name in favour of the untested DS brand wasn't an easy decision. "It was a big risk for us to actually pass on it and call the new product the Nintendo DS," he revealed, "but it was part of Mr. Iwata's philosophy that if we're going to make a radical difference and try to reach a new audience, then we have to change the name... we had to make a break even though we had one of the greatest trademarks in the history of the industry."

The link is http://ds.ign.com/articles/805/805598p1.html

Oh, and just to make this clear because I know some of you will say this: The Nintendo DS is NOT a Game Boy, it is a completely different system/ hardware series.

Honestly, I think that may be the only solution. Maybe, it's time to hang-up the Game Boy Legacy... What about everyone else, though??

No...I think they should continue with the Game Boy, unless they release new DS systems with the capability to play GBA games, like they did with the current DS. I will greatly miss the gameboy...and I will still play my gameboy color. :D (Since I lost my gbp)

First: How did you lose your GBP? Don't you keep it attached to your GameCube? Or do you mean Game Boy Pocket? I get confused easily...

And second: I think they should continue with the Game Boy line, but merge it with the DS line. Like have two different formats for the companies to use or something like that. Or just call the next DS a Game Boy. I think because they have the history with the Game Boy, they should keep the name.

Back