• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Review Soul Calibur 2 (GC)

UltimaLink007

Hope Never Dies
We are back with Soul Calibur 2, as you play through each character's story, good or evil, to find and either keep or destroy the fabled blade of Soul Edge.......

First, Let me clear this up. Soul Edge is evil, Soul Calibur is good.:D

Sound/Voice Acting - 9.5/10: This game's sound is really good, but the only reason I gave it a 9.5 is because it has a spectacular version of the Legend of Zelda theme, which of course is only available on the GameCube version. Battle Cries are fun to yell just before the battle. Also, statements in the pre and post battles sometimes get annoying and are repetitive. good thing u can skip them ;)

Graphics - 8/10: Pretty impressive for a GC game, though not on the same "calibur" as Super Smash Bros. Melee. I want to see you sweat mister! lol, not really...............It's fun to look at all of the different weapons for each person....except for Yunsung's legendary weapon which is invisible, but leaves a cool green light where you slashed...

Gameplay - 10/10: Soul Calibur 2 is a 3D fighting game utilizing ring-outs, and special terrains on certain fields making it more difficult for you and your enemy to move around. Most of the stages are normal though. Also, there is a lot of variety when it comes to characters. The weapon variety is also great, with 10 per person, each with their own unique abilities. And you have a rank and money to buy waeapons, modes, costumes, etc. My Current rank is: lvl 77: Grand Edgemaster of the Basilisk, and my favorite charatcer to be is the GameCube exclusive: LINK!!! I also like: Nightmare, whom I pwn everyone with using his giant sword; Seung Mina, because halberds are just plain awesome; Kilik, cuz of the long reach with his staff; Taki, because ninjas rule!!!; and Talim, because her weapons can out serious hurt on ppl if used with the right combos.
You also have different modes. These are: 1 player, VS Mode, Weapons Master Mode, Extras, and settings. 1 Player consists of survival, time attack, and arcade versions, and a small training mode, where you can see different combos and try them out on enemies who won't move and counter, plus extra modes, which allow your choice of weapon for your chosen character. VS Mode can have 1 on 1, or you can pick your teams and battle each other (up to 8 per team). Weapons Master (a.k.a. story) mode is a bunch of missions where you get money and increase your rank, these missions consist of dungeons, but most of them are one match, follow the objective and beat it however it tells you to. Also, there is a harder version of the mission once you beat the one taht it gives you originally, so it'll take a while to beat. This is also the mode where you purchase new costumes, extras, etc., but what you can buy depends on what area you're located, so as you unlock new areas, the more things you can buy. At first, you don't have too many characters, so you unlock them through various missions here. Another great thing about this mode is taht u can change weapons and characters at any time outside a dungeon or battle, which means u won't spend hours failing a mission, because you chose a character and weapon taht isn't suited for that particular challenge. Time for your extras, YAY!!! Here is where you can look at your character profiles, which are unlocked when u beat arcade mode with each character, the art gallery, the character endings, (also unlocked when u beat arcade mode with each character), and the weapon use movies, which u buy in WMM, where u get to see the character put on a display of combat moves for you. PHEW!!! Gameplay is over!!!

Story - 6/10: Story moves very slowly in WMM, and each character ending is different, which makes the arcade mode better for an actual story, even though a 10 second ending is all that u get.......................

Overall - 8.5/10: Very fun, fast-paced fighting game, with a pretty boring, pointless story, but ons of fun nonetheless. Great for a group of friends looking for a tough videogame tournament to decide who's the best of them all;) and it never gets old, or loses it's "edge"

Thanks Slyguy! I tried to add more than normal, because of ur comments on my previous review...I wonder if anyone will actually reply to this thread.... besides you Slyguy;)

Personally, I agree with all your ratings save overall. How did it get a 10/10 when gameplay was the only category to get that high? I would have given it a 9.5, and the official ZS rating balance given your scores says... 8.5. Low story score hurts it badly.

WOW! someone other than Slyguy actually replied to one of my reviews!! Thanks Versac.....I didn't notice this until I got bored in AAl and decded to search the forums until I went to reviews to see what was new.......Thanks anyway for commenting, and I'm sorry if my ratings were insatisfactory...:D

They're not bad, just the math for the overall confuses me... and I like to think I'm good at math...

Yes Versac, you are good at math. But I totally agree with the review. Personally though, I would've given the sound a 10, or even an 11! I love the voiceovers, especially the ones before battles. I also LOVE the music! Story, while it does suck a little in Weapon Master mode, the story for each character though is very good, such as with their past and present. I would've given it a 7, just because of each character's personal story connecting them to soul edge. Very good review though!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......I'm ok at math, but I love this game......so i gave it what I thought it deserved........I didn't use a ratings system.I'll use one if enough ppl bug me to............

Good review but how do you give the story a 6/10 and then give it an overall 10/10... lol

p.s I've been in the advanced math class in my schools for the past 5 years :cool:I'm too cool for Zeldasages!

Good review but how do you give the story a 6/10 and then give it an overall 10/10... lol

p.s I've been in the advanced math class in my schools for the past 5 years :cool:I'm too cool for Zeldasages!
He said he just gave it a score that he thought it should get. It was not an average or a use of ZS scores. Later, Im gonna make a SC3 review.

They're not bad, just the math for the overall confuses me... and I like to think I'm good at math...

I win with 9 years and a 780 on the Math SAT's in 8th grade. :D I understand why the game got a 10/10 on the scale, seeing as that's what it probably deserved, but in detailed review, some games get lower than they deserve. For example, the official rating system ended with a final score of 78% for FSAs even though it had 10/10 in gameplay and sound... yet another case of a bad story dropping the score like a brick.

I win with 9 years and a 780 on the Math SAT's in 8th grade. :D I understand why the game got a 10/10 on the scale, seeing as that's what it probably deserved, but in detailed review, some games get lower than they deserve. For example, the official rating system ended with a final score of 78% for FSAs even though it had 10/10 in gameplay and sound... yet another case of a bad story dropping the score like a brick.
I don't think that a game should be based on average of scores or importance of each section but i dont think that a game that got a 6/10 on any part of it deserves a 10/10 maybe 9.5/10 but not 10/10

Wow thanks for reminding me about those things. GRRR yet I am motivated now to get a higher score than you :D

Good luck with that. I only lost points because I hadn't finished geometry yet. I know the exact questions I missed and what I should have done. Next time, I shall emerge victorious!

I agree partially with your opinion on overall scores, but official ZS reviews need to be as objective as possible, with a clear, linear format.

Ya... I like the official Zeldasages score card
I dont think sound should have as much importance as it does but I other then that I give the zeldasages review score card a 9.0.... lol :D

Please do Slyguy. As I said animal, it got a 10/10 overall, because there wasn't really any true story, so it lacked a story, and the fact that it's a fighting game says for itself that I bought it for gameplay, not story

Yeah, the SC3 Story is better, with mote in depth Character Story and the Chronicles of the Sword mode, giving it a better Story score in my idea.

Back