• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The Master Sword's appearance

Is anyone else slightly bothered that the Master Sword changes appearance from game to game? I mean, it's a SWORD! Swords tend to stay the same unless they're broken and reforged(ie. Anduril). Although the changes between the OoT Master Sword and the TP Master Sword weren't too drastic, and IMO made it better, the WW Master Sword is a complete oddity. Not only did the guard change drastically, the whole concept changed. I don't recall there ever being two sages required to give the Master Sword its power to repel evil.

Any theories?? :confused:

The Many Faces of the Master Sword... You must remember... In each game, the Master Sword's appearance changes from something of a fantasy sword into something that realistic (TP)... Though the Master Sword has many faces and appearances, it still does the same... Destroys evil that with has risen... If there's anyother theories that seem to prove me otherwise, please speak freely...

Ummm....sorry, have to say this. The Master Sword has yet to actually DESTROY evil. It has NOT killed Ganon. It just seems to help seal him away. And strangely, Ganon has been the only fiend bad enough to actually require the use of the Blade of Evil's Bane. Vaati hasn't had that weapon turned on him.

no it doesnt destroy him. if you were to think about it though, if the master sword were to completely obliterate ganon, there'd be no game stories left. the master sword does seal ganon away though, causing him to be of little threat untill his inevitable release from the seals that have been cast over him.

Yeah, and if Gannon was destroyed, him being an ultimately powerfull being, it would cause an upset in the balance of Good and Evil, causing the world (and Link) to implode.

and it could be that ganon is to evil to actually be killed.....

but that would be playing at the Harry Potter-Voldemort concept...a little bit at least....

Well, that is not always true. There are two games where the Master Sword could have very well killed Ganondorf

*spoilers below for two games...which will remain unamed here...or then I would have spoiled the spoiler :D*

In the Wind Waker, Ganondorf was stabed in the head and turned to stone. Some may argue though that this act was simply another seal.

In Twilight Princess, Ganondorf is stabed through the heart, his Triforce of Power shard leaves him, and his eyes turn white....you get the idea...he's dead.

Back on topic though,the master sword has really only changed face from ALTTP to OOT. The Twilight Princess Master Sword looks exactly the same as the TP and Wind Waker version, although much more realistic ;).

The Master Sword would sucessfully kill Ganon if it weren't for the fact that he bears the Triforce of Power, as shown quite clearly in TP. Details below
The sages bind Ganondorf to the stone in the Mirror Chamber, and stab him with a holy sword to seal his dark magic and kill him. Unfortunately, this activates his shard of the Triforce, which sustains him. He breaks free of his bindings, and kills one of the sages (Saria). After this, they send him to the Twilight Realm to try and prevent the destruction of Hyrule.
The Master Sword was weakened somehow in the Great Flood, and after its power is restored, it regains its classic appearance.

The Master Sword would sucessfully kill Ganon if it weren't for the fact that he bears the Triforce of Power, as shown quite clearly in TP. Details below
The sages bind Ganondorf to the stone in the Mirror Chamber, and stab him with a holy sword to seal his dark magic and kill him. Unfortunately, this activates his shard of the Triforce, which sustains him. He breaks free of his bindings, and kills one of the sages (Saria). After this, they send him to the Twilight Realm to try and prevent the destruction of Hyrule.
The Master Sword was weakened somehow in the Great Flood, and after its power is restored, it regains its classic appearance.

How'd you figure out that the sage that Ganondorf killed was Saria? I just finished the game and it doesn't say anything about the sage that the guy killed.

also, how do you post a spoiler?

Type the word spoiler between [ ] symbols, and /spoiler (again between the brackets) to end it. More info can be found here. Also, the stands that the sages appear over bear the symbols found on their madallions. One is empty, and I simply checked OoT.

cool, maybe i'll check it out later. i'll have to check the symbols online though because i don't have OoT, i had borrowed it from a friend but i will head over to the mirror chamber since i'm already in the gerudo mesa. i tried to get through the cave of ordeals but i got killed when i had to face the darknut and the aeralfos. but i got soooooo close. grrrrrrrrrrr. :mad:

The main thing that changes from game to game more than the design is the length. In WW, it was a bastard sword for a kid, and in TP it was a bastard sword for an adult. In OoT it was a longsword for an adult, and in LttP it was a longsword for a kid again.

(A bastard sword is the proper name for a hand-and-a-half sword, which can only be use one-handed with proper training due to its size.)

fine, thanks for giving me the correct name for the dragon swordsmen but i thought that the armored knights were iron knuckles?

Nope, they're Darknuts. Iron Nuckles are animated suits of armor, while Darknuts are elite soldiers in Ganondorf's employ.

Back on topic though,the master sword has really only changed face from ALTTP to OOT. The Twilight Princess Master Sword looks exactly the same as the TP and Wind Waker version, although much more realistic ;).

Okay, I'm gonna assume that you meant "the OoT and Wind Waker version". Technically, that's not correct. The two versions of the Master Sword that are closest in appearance are the LttP & OoT versions. The hilts have similar structures, except for the bottom of the handle and the gem. The Wind Waker version, while possessing a similar blade to the OoT version, has an almost completely different hilt. And I mean AFTER restoring its power. It's all in the guard. The normal guard of the Master Sword has always been a slight upward curve. The Wind Waker guard curves outwards. Also, the Master Sword in LttP, OoT, and TP all have teardrop shaped pommels. The Wind Waker version is just plain weird...not really sure how to describe it. Also, the WW version's gem changed.

As for the Twilight Princess version, though it's closer to the OoT version, it has many differences as well. The first is in the actual blade. As noted by some, the Master Sword's blade is noticeably longer than in previous games. The blade's shape also changes slightly. The hilt changed a bit as well. The hilt actually extends a little further onto the blade itself than in previous incarnations. The gem is not only slightly bigger, but also appears to have Hylian text etched onto it in the concept art(though it's nearly impossible to see in-game). The guard has a similar shape, though with small sharp protrusions on the bottom of the "wings" The circular guard right above the handle is larger around and flatter and has Hylian etchings as well. The handle changed slightly, looking like it is wrapped katana-style. The teardrop-shaped pommel is a little shorter and stouter, but otherwise the same.

Whew....I have WAY too much time on my hands to be able to list all these differences.

I don't believe Ganondorf died in either WW or TP

Okay, I'm gonna assume that you meant "the OoT and Wind Waker version". Technically, that's not correct. The two versions of the Master Sword that are closest in appearance are the LttP & OoT versions. The hilts have similar structures, except for the bottom of the handle and the gem. The Wind Waker version, while possessing a similar blade to the OoT version, has an almost completely different hilt. And I mean AFTER restoring its power. It's all in the guard. The normal guard of the Master Sword has always been a slight upward curve. The Wind Waker guard curves outwards. Also, the Master Sword in LttP, OoT, and TP all have teardrop shaped pommels. The Wind Waker version is just plain weird...not really sure how to describe it. Also, the WW version's gem changed.

As for the Twilight Princess version, though it's closer to the OoT version, it has many differences as well. The first is in the actual blade. As noted by some, the Master Sword's blade is noticeably longer than in previous games. The blade's shape also changes slightly. The hilt changed a bit as well. The hilt actually extends a little further onto the blade itself than in previous incarnations. The gem is not only slightly bigger, but also appears to have Hylian text etched onto it in the concept art(though it's nearly impossible to see in-game). The guard has a similar shape, though with small sharp protrusions on the bottom of the "wings" The circular guard right above the handle is larger around and flatter and has Hylian etchings as well. The handle changed slightly, looking like it is wrapped katana-style. The teardrop-shaped pommel is a little shorter and stouter, but otherwise the same.

Whew....I have WAY too much time on my hands to be able to list all these differences.

I don't believe Ganondorf died in either WW or TP

1) there's no way he could have died in TP or else he would not have appeared in WW, because TP is inbetween OoT and WW, as the order being

OoT->TP->WW

2) I haven't played WW so i couldn't conclude whether he had died in WW or not.

Back