• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Fanfiction: Insurrection of Evil

Title: The Legend of Zelda Insurrection of Evil
Timeline: Post Ocarina of Time(Adult) Alternate Timeline
Length: Undetermined
Version: 1.0, to be revised upon completion

The Legend of Zelda
Insurrection of Evil

Prologue

Seven years and two months prior to this tale, a twelve year old Hylian child, raised as a Kokiri, began a quest that would shape his destiny. The boy was called Link, and he was destined to be the Hero of Time. He had many allies on his quest, including the beautiful Princess Zelda of Hyrule. He also had many enemies. His primary adversary, who would threaten him and his descendents, was Ganondorf, the King of Evil. Ganondorf wanted the sacred Triforce in order to rule the world. Link was supposed to fight him. Link gathered the three Spiritual Stones and opened the Door of Time, the entrance to the Sacred Realm where the Triforce rested. Link was knocked out and Ganondorf entered the forbidden Realm and stole the Triforce. Link and Zelda both left Hyrule so that the timeline could continue normally. Link had many adventures, even fighting Ganon once.

For the seven years Link was away, Ganondorf transformed Hyrule from a beautiful kingdom to a land of darkness. Link knew this was happening but didn’t dare return. Then, when all hope seemed lost, the Hero of Time reappeared in Hyrule. Link awakened the powers of the seven sages so they could help him defeat Ganondorf. However, as Link found out, Ganondorf didn’t get the entire Triforce. He only got the Triforce of Power, while Link got the Triforce of Courage. Zelda, who had been in hiding, had the Triforce of Wisdom. Unfortunately, Ganondorf captured her, and Link set out to rescue her.

Ganondorf tried to set a trap for Link, but he didn’t anticipate the strength of the Hero of Time. Link defeated Ganondorf. After Link and Zelda escaped the collapsing tower, Ganondorf reappeared. Furious, Ganondorf used the Triforce of Power to transform into Ganon. Link defeated the King of Evil and Ganondorf was sealed inside the Sacred Realm forever… or so the people of Hyrule had hoped. Zelda sent Link back in time to regain the seven years he lost. Now the time has come for Link to return. However, true evil cannot be completely destroyed.

Here's Chapter One! Now remember, this is non-canon, taking place in an alternate reality, so things that happen here won't affect the rest of the timeline...this decision was made after playing Twilight Princess. :p Also, it is a WIP.

Chapter 1

Link was walking through the mist in the Lost Woods. As he walked, he remembered when he left. It had been misty that day too. He had left to find Navi, who left when he sealed the Master Sword away. He never figured out why, but the Master Sword appeared in Holodrum and Labrynna as well. He also never figured out why the Triforce left him. He was never able to find Navi either. Link shifted his baldric. The Hero's Shield he wore was child size; therefore it shifted a little as he walked. He started to recognize his surroundings when he tripped over Mido.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" exclaimed Mido. Mido looked up at him and said, "Hey, I remember you from a couple months ago. Did you happen to see Link while you were off doing who knows what?"

"Actually, I am Link," he said. Seeing Mido's disbelieving stare, Link rummaged through his item pouch. He pulled out the Fairy Ocarina that Saria had given him. Mido stared at the ocarina and then at Link. Link said, "You were right all along Mido. I never was a true Kokiri."

Mido grinned at this and they walked out into the Forest. Link glanced over at the grove where the Deku Tree Sprout was growing. Link was greeted by all of his old friends. They wanted to know what all he had seen and even asked about his Gilded Sword. As he looked around, he realized that he couldn't stay. He said his goodbyes and left the forest. As he left, he couldn't help but think that this might be the last time he saw the Kokiri.
Looking out on Hyrule Field, he could tell that things were recovering from Ganon's reign. He decided to visit Lon Lon Ranch before going to the castle, which he could see was rebuilt in the distance. As he walked towards the ranch, something caught his eye. "Goddesses, what IS that?!" he said.
Out by Gerudo Valley, he saw a black tower being constructed. His first thought was that Ganondorf was behind it, but he chastised himself. 'Ganondorf is in the Sacred Realm,' he thought. He shook his head and walked to the ranch.
***********************************************************************************
Inside the Temple of Light, Rauru the Sage waited for the return of the other sages. He allowed them two months to get their affairs in order and then they had to come back. They would be able to return to Hyrule, but only after Ganondorf's seal was completely secure. Ruto appeared first, followed by Darunia and Impa. Saria had yet to appear, but Rauru had sensed Link's return and knew Saria would want to see him again. However, he was concerned about Nabooru's whereabouts. She may be a thief, but he knew she was honorable.

Ruto spoke first, "Where’re Saria and Nabooru? We're going to need them here. And will Zelda be here?"

Rauru chuckled and said, "Zelda has other duties, Ruto. Her father is still healing from his imprisonment in the desert. Until he is able, Zelda must tend to the kingdom. As for Saria, she is probably going to see Link. Nabooru is the only one who worries me."

"Link's back?" asked all three.

"Yes. The Hero of Time has returned to Hyrule. I only hope that the peace he brought will last," said Rauru.
***********************************************************************************
Link was just entering the Ranch when he heard someone behind him. He turned and saw his old friend Saria. Overwhelmed with emotion, he picked her up and hugged her tight. "I'm so happy to see you again Saria!" he said. He knew that for her it was only a couple of months but for him it had been seven years.

Saria giggled as he held her. He set her down and she said, "I’m glad I got to see you before I joined the other sages. Link, I won't see you for some time. I and the other sages must watch over Ganondorf's seal. I have a bad feeling though. Your trials aren't over. You must be careful. If not for yourself, then for those who care for you. Your friends, Zelda, and myself."
"Saria. Of course I'll be careful. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Link. Goodbye," she said. She disappeared, returning to the Temple of Light.

Link turned away, feeling melancholy. He walked towards the gate and saw Malon. In a split second, Malon rushed up and hugged him. Link blushed as she said, "Link, I'm so glad that you’re safe!"

Talon and Ingo watched as Link tried to get free of her grip. "I'm glad to see you too," he said. He looked around the ranch and could tell things were returning to normal. Then he saw the black tower again.

He turned to Talon and said, "Where did that tower come from?"

Malon answered instead. "It started construction more than a month ago. Who knows what it's for?"

Link was considering this. He knew that it wouldn't be used for good. He was interrupted from his thinking when Epona licked him in the face.

Well, maybe I should start posting my FanFiction. I have fan fiction of three-four books. Yes, I have actually wrote and published books of what I write. It's something that you would love to read. I"m still wondering if I should or not...

Meh, why not?? I will start posting it soon. Just let me find it in my old computer of mine and send it over. Let's just say that these stories are good to a point of not leaving the cpu screen...

Shadowknight1, I will admit, you know how to write/type a short story. Good plot sequences, 10/10 from the ZeldaGuardian. Just wait until you read what I have to post... You will like it, just as much as you like writing/typing yours...

Thanks! Just so you guys know, I do realize that my plot in this story is about as skeletal as a Stalfos, but that's the beauty of writing. You can always revise as you go! However, it'd stall everything else if I did, and I want to finish this story up someday soon. :p Anyway, on to Chapter 2!

Chapter 2
Where the Gerudo Fortress once stood, a black tower was now in its place. The Gerudos were on the top, constructing the last floors. Two witches, Koume and Kotake, flew around the tower screaming at the Gerudo. "This
tower must be completed before the full moon!" Kotake yelled at them.

"Why then?" Nabooru yelled back.

"It's none of your business Gerudo brat!" yelled Koume. She hurled an energy ball at Nabooru who broke into a run. She jumped down the scaffolds leading to the top. "Kotake, why didn't you chain her!? Get her!"
Nabooru was almost out of the valley when she attacked by a giant Peahat. Its sharp spinning spines grazed her arm but it was enough to hurt her badly. She rolled and threw a knife at its soft underside. The Peahat exploded! She sighed and started walking. She was wounded but she needed to reach Hyrule Castle as soon as possible.
"That's a pretty sword," said Malon. She had been watching Link practice his sword techniques with his Gilded Sword.
Link shrugged and said, "Thanks. It was forged with gold dust." He had been practicing his new sword techniques including his beam attack. He sheathed his sword and looked for Epona. He decided that it was time to go see Zelda. He handed Malon his Hero's Shield and said, "Hold onto this for me. I'm going to the castle." Malon accepted the shield.

He called Epona and rode out of the ranch. He kept his eyes on his destination, the castle, not noticing that Nabooru was nearby. He rode into the rebuilt Castle Town and stopped at the Bazaar. He picked up a new Hylian Shield and the rode to the new castle. As he drew near, he saw that it was out in the middle of a lake. It was in the same place that Ganon's Tower fell seven years earlier. A guard stood at the gate. He looked behind him and saw the castle town and then looked to where Gerudo Valley was. The Black Tower was closer than in the field.

"Well bless my soul. If it isn't the great Hero of Time! It's about time you came back! Castle's beautiful, isn't it? Unfortunately, there's one thing that ruins the view around here. That blasted black tower! Oh well. I'm sure you're here to see the princess, right? Oh, the lass is in a wee bit of a dark mood right now. About a month ago, we, that is the Soldiers of Hyrule, found her father inside the Desert Colossus. He'd been tortured! Zelda o'course took control o' the kingdom until he's back on his feet. Ha! You're blushin' lad! Somethin's goin' on between you two! Oh lord I just keep talkin' and haven't let you in!" said the very chatty guard.

Link merely nodded as the gate opened. He walked past, nursing a bad headache. He then realized that at the mention of Zelda, he had blushed. He shook his head and walked into the castle and was amazed! He hadn't expected the interior to be done this quick. He saw an exit on the far side of the entry hall. He headed for it, sure of what was on the other side. He emerged in a small courtyard. Water flowed, grass and flowers swayed in the breeze, and there were a few trees. He heard a familiar melody being hummed. He saw Zelda leaning up against a tree, humming Zelda's Lullaby.
She stopped and looked at him, "Hello Link. It's been a while, hasn't it?" She walked over to the stepping stones and hopped across them to Link.

Link looked into her eyes until he realized that he was blushing again. He quickly regained his composure and said, "It has been too long, your highness."

Zelda was thankful that he looked away before she blushed too. Something about him attracted her to him and him to her. "Link, peace has once again settled on the land. However, we need to make sure that it is kept," she said. She looked back in his eyes.

Link said, "You can always count on me Zelda. Always." He meant it too. They stared into each other's eyes for quite a while until they heard a laugh.

"I never thought I'd see the day that my little Zelda fell in love. Forgive me. My name is Harkinen Daphnes Hyrule," said Zelda's father. He was in his forties and was walking with a cane. Link saw that his left arm was in a sling.

Link bowed and said, "Your Highness. I am Link, the Hero of Time." He felt only slightly embarrassed from what the king had witnessed. He took a quick glance at Zelda, whose face was as red as a cherry. It only took him a second to realize that she wasn't embarrassed, but frustrated.

"Ah yes. You're the lad who saved my daughter and my kingdom from Ganondorf. You have my eternal gratitude," he said.

"Father, you should be in bed!" Zelda said, her voice betraying her exasperation. She called two aides to help him back to bed. "The doctors said that you should stay in bed for a while longer."

He smiled and let the aides lead him. Link looked at Zelda and said, "You love him very much, don't you?"

Zelda smiled and replied, "Of course I do. It's just that, he's the king and he doesn't like being confined to bed. He's restless. So am I, I guess." She sighed and sat down. She gazed up at the sky. Link sat beside her, sure that he should say something, but not sure what. Then he heard footsteps behind them.

"Your Highness, we caught this Gerudo trying to sneak into the castle," said a guard. At his side, he held Nabooru. She looked terrible. Her right arm was drenched in blood.

"Nabooru?!" said Link. The last time he had seen her was when he was defeating Ganon.

"Release her. She can be trusted," said Zelda. The guard left immediately. "Nabooru, what are you doing here?" Zelda asked.

"I was captured by Koume and Kotake. They're responsible for the black tower. They...they've enslaved the Gerudo. They've enslaved my people!" Nabooru replied, almost shouting the last syllable.

"Why?"

"I don't know. All I do know is that it's supposed to be finished before the full moon in a week. It's almost done." She sat down on the ground.
Zelda called the guard back in. "Take her to the doctors at once!" she commanded. The guard complied. She then turned to Link. Link seemed to be staring off into space. Then he started walking toward the exit. "Link? Where are you going?" She called after him. He didn't respond. He left the castle with Zelda trailing behind him.
**********************************************************************************
Link and Zelda entered the Temple of Time. Zelda looked at Link as he walked toward the Door of Time. He stopped at the altar and turned to Zelda. "I need you to play the Song of Time," he said.

Zelda started to protest but saw the urgency in Link's eyes. Zelda pulled out the Ocarina of Time and played the Song of Time. To her astonishment, the Door of Time opened. Link jumped over the altar and walked towards the chamber where the Master Sword slept. Then, in a bright flash, Link was thrown back. He flew over the altar and landed on the Triforce symbol.
Zelda rushed to his side. "Link, are you all right? Say something!"

His eyes fluttered open and he said, "Ouch." He sat up and looked toward the Master Sword's chamber. "Why can't I get in?" he wondered aloud. Zelda shrugged and helped him to his feet. Then, in another flash of light, the Temple of Time dissolved around them. They appeared in the Temple of Light.

Rauru appeared. "You should know the answer to that question."

Ruto appeared. "Don't tell me you're that thick-headed Link?"

Impa appeared. "It's not that difficult."

Saria appeared. "Just open your mind."

Darunia appeared. "Just think brother."

Link couldn't give voice to the answer. Rauru did though, "I’ll tell you. The Master Sword has rejected you. You must prove your worth by collecting three Pendants of Power. They are hidden within the Fire, Water, and Forest Temples."

Zelda said, "Why has it rejected him?"

Link answered, "I haven't held it for seven years. So, is Ganondorf going to return?"

"Unless you move quickly to stop Twinrova, yes. Good luck," Rauru said.

"Take care of him Zelda," Impa said. Then they were back in the Temple of Time. Nabooru was there.

"Link, to get into the tower, you'll need to get the keys from the Earth and Wind Temples. You will have to have the Master Sword in order to defeat the beasts guarding them. Good luck kid," she said. Link and Zelda stood in silence when she left for the Temple of Light. They then rushed for the castle.
The tower was complete. The powers of evil only waited for the full moon. "Until then, there must be no foul-ups!" yelled Ganondorf across a small dimensional gap. "Don't fail me or no form of magic will bring you back from where I will send you!"

"Of course my lord," the witches said fearfully.

"Link will never get the tower keys," Koume said.

"We put powerful creatures in the temples," Kotake stated.

Ganondorf laughed maniacally. When the moon was full, he would have his revenge on Hyrule.

Thanks! Okay, now for the action to get started! Here goes! Chapter 3, the Temple of Fire!!!

Chapter 3
Somewhere, deep in Death Mountain, a creature stirred in the lava pools. A gigantic beast, the fiery creature caused many problems for those residents near the mountain. In its claws, it held the Pendent of Power.
Link started to lay out his items for his journey to the Fire Temple and arranged them on the bed. "Damn," he cursed when he dumped out his quiver and bomb bag. There were only a few arrows and even fewer bombs. "Damn it. I swear that I had more ammo than this!" he exclaimed. He was quickly distracted as a bundle of arrows fell onto the bed.

"Watch your language hero. I figured you needed some ammunition and those arrows are too long for my crossbow anyway," Zelda said from behind Link. Link looked back at her and froze. She had discarded her traditional dress and was instead wearing tight, form-fitting pants, a tight shirt, and a light-blue jacket. After a few moments of staring, he noticed the curved sword at her side and the crossbow strapped to her back.

"You’re not coming," he stated evenly.

"Excuse me?!" Zelda said incredulously.

"You are not coming. It’s far too dangerous Zelda," Link repeated.

"I can take care of myself, thank you very much," she retorted, pointing at her sword and crossbow.

"Really? I seem to recall you being captured by Ganondorf," Link shot back.

"He caught me by surprise!" Zelda exclaimed defensively.

Link smirked and said, "Fine. Defend yourself." He drew his Gilded Sword and sliced at Zelda, not hard enough to injure, but hard enough to make her think twice about wanting to fight. However, his sword hit metal with a loud clang. Zelda had drawn her curved sword at the same time he drew his sword. "Impressive," he said truthfully, sheathing his sword. "But, do you have either a Goron or Zora tunic?"

Zelda’s face fell. "No, I don’t." She sighed and sat down on the bed. "Link, I just want to be with you. You shouldn’t have to fight alone," she said.

Link realized what she meant. "Zelda, I really appreciate that. But you’re not properly equipped. Tell you what, let me handle the Fire and Water Temples on my own. Then, we’ll tackle the rest together. Okay?" Link said while sitting next to her. Zelda nodded. Link smiled, then put his arms around her and gave her a quick hug. Zelda looked up at him and smiled brightly. "Alright then. I’ll be back soon," he said. He let go of her and got his items packed up. He turned and left the room, but not without one more glance at the princess.
A short time later, Zelda watched Link leave the castle from her father’s room. "So, he wouldn’t let you go with him? What a pity. He’ll be able to concentrate on what he needs to do rather than worrying about you," the king said.

"That’s enough of that father. I want to help him. He’s given so much to Hyrule. I won’t feel right if I don’t help him," she replied.

"I know that. But you’re my only daughter. It hasn’t been easy since your mother’s death. If I lost you, I don’t know what I’d do."

"Don’t worry so much father. I can take care of myself," Zelda said.

"I’m sure you can." One of the king’s aides came in. "My liege, they have arrived," he said. "Good. Send them in. If you’ll excuse me Zelda," the king replied.

"Of course father." Zelda left his room and strolled down to the courtyard. She wondered who "they" were, but not for too long. Her thoughts soon drifted back to Link.
Link spurred Epona towards Kakariko Village. He arrived to find the town empty. He gazed up at Death Mountain and saw the reason. The mountain seemed to be constantly erupting. Link hesitated for an instant, and then he heard a flapping sound. He noticed a small group of keese flying towards him. Link quickly drew his bow and fired arrows, taking down the keese. "That was too easy," he said. He dismounted Epona and left her at the main gate. He then made his way up the Death Mountain pass to Goron City.
He learned that Death Mountain had been erupting almost constantly and that the interior was now unbearably hot. He replenished his bomb supply and pulled on his Goron tunic, then made his way to Darunia’s room. He pulled the statue aside. "Well, here goes," Link said to himself. He walked into the sweltering heat of the Death Mountain crater. He may as well have walked into Hell itself. The crater was extremely hot and lava was flying everywhere. Link quickly made his way to the Fire Temple, dodging the flying brimstone.

Part 2 of Chapter 3...curse text limits.

The Fire Temple hadn’t changed much, but the fire keese were certainly more plentiful. Link dispatched the fire keese with precision arrow fire. Unfortunately, the arrows burnt upon striking the keese. "Damn, I wish my hookshot was more accurate," he cursed softly. Link opened the door that led to the boss chamber. However, he could easily tell that the room was locked. Frustrated, he turned and left that room. "I should’ve known it wouldn’t be that easy," he thought. He went deeper into the Temple, stopping only when directly confronted. Then he came to a large room.
The door slammed shut behind him and metal bars clanged into place, locking the door. Link quickly drew his Gilded Sword and Hylian Shield. Two Lizalfos dropped from the ceiling. Link charged at the closest Lizalfo and attacked. The Lizalfo raised its dagger to block his sword. The blades clashed, sending sparks flying. The second Lizalfo came up behind Link. Link heard him coming and slammed his shield into the Lizalfo’s snout, knocking it out. Link then turned his full attention on the conscious one. The two fought, but Link didn’t even break a sweat. He parried and dodged the creature’s attacks while waiting for an opening. Once one presented itself, Link stabbed the Lizalfo, killing it. He then killed the other one before it woke up.

A large treasure chest appeared in the center of the room. Link reattached the Hylian Shield to his scabbard, and then wiped the blood from his sword. Upon examination, he could see some pitting and chips in it. "Time to reforge it, I suppose," he thought. He sheathed the Gilded Sword and walked over to the chest. He read the inscription aloud, "Magical Boomerang. A sharp edged weapon that flies far and fast and always comes back."

Link opened the chest and took out the boomerang. It was sleeker looking than his childhood boomerang. It was sharp-edged, except for a part that was obviously where he was supposed to hold it. He flung the boomerang and it arced far and fast. He caught it easily. The door opened and Link continued through the temple. He soon found another room that he didn’t remember from his last visit. As before, the door locked behind him. Link drew the Gilded Sword and faced a fire-breathing Dinalfo. The Dinalfo blew a plume of flames at Link, who expertly back-flipped away. He quickly sheathed his sword and took out the Magical Boomerang. He flung it at a stalactite, knocking it down onto the Dinalfo. The creature was buried under rubble.

Link put his boomerang away and turned towards the door. However, it was still locked. The sound of shifting rocks attracted Link’s attention. He looked back and saw the Dinalfo emerging from the rubble. The Dinalfo sliced at him with its sword. Link was caught by surprise and wasn’t able to defend, so he got cut on his right arm. He jumped over the Dinalfo and drew his sword again. He spun around and just blocked the Dinalfo’s attack. He kicked the Dinalfo, and then flipped away from the Dinalfo. Link took out his bow and notched an arrow. He fired, but it flew too high. Link quickly drew his sword and defended against the Dinalfo’s blows.

Link knocked aside his foe’s sword and swung his sword with all his strength. The Dinalfo wasn’t able to defend and was decapitated. Link sighed and sheathed his sword. He bent to retrieve his arrow and saw a familiar gold and blue treasure chest. Link opened the chest and grabbed the boss key. "Finally," he grumbled to himself.

He traversed the temple once more and found himself in front of the boss chamber. He took a drink of Lon Lon milk that he had kept in a bottle, then put the boss key in the lock and turned it. The lock tumbled away and the door opened. Link took a breath and entered the chamber. The door locked behind him. The sweltering heat of the chamber was unbearable. In the center of the room was a giant lava pool. A few quiet moments passed, and then the ground began to shake. From the lave pool, a fiery centipede erupted, knocking Link to the ground. The creature, Gohma, was large, but its exoskeletal armor was incomplete. Link was terrified nonetheless, until he saw the Pendant of Power in Gohma’s claw. Gohma aimed a blow at Link, but he quickly rolled away. Link readied an ice arrow and let it fly. The arrow missed. He cursed and dodged another attack. The creature’s claw stuck in the ground, so Link hacked at it with the Gilded Sword.

Infuriated, Gohma breathed fire at him. Unable to shield himself in time, Link was burned. He moved away from Gohma while the creature tried to extricate its claw from the ground. "Wait a second. If I hit it where its armor isn’t formed, I should be able to hurt it!" he thought to himself. He readied another ice arrow just as Gohma freed its claw. He fired the arrow, but it hit armor and bounced off. Link flipped away from another slash from the boss. It was then that Link realized that this Gohma might have a weakness similar to the one he defeated in the Great Deku Tree seven years earlier.

He took out his boomerang and hurled it. It scythed through the air and started its return. On its way back, it hit the armor on Gohma’s head, splintering it and making its eye vulnerable. Link fired an ice arrow which hit Gohma square in the eye. It fell forward and collapsed. Link took advantage of this and slashed Gohma in the eye four times with his sword. Gohma knew it was beaten, so it tried to crush him. Despite the intense pain, Link was able to grab the Pendant of Power from the creature’s grasp. Gohma then retreated deep into the depths of the earth. Link, though badly injured, managed to make it back to Kakariko Village. The villagers helped him get healed and rested for his next challenge.

Thanks! Now...I think I kinda fudged on this next chapter, but that's partly because it's a revisit of a temple that most of us Zelda fans wish hadn't been invented.

Chapter 4
Link slept for a full day and recovered his strength. Upon waking, he found Zelda sitting next to his bed, waiting for him. "Good, you’re awake," she said with a bright smile. "I brought some medicine from the castle, as well as your Zora Tunic."

Link sat up wearily. Looking around, he spotted his shield and his other equipment. He was puzzled for a moment, then asked, "Where’s my Gilded Sword?"

Zelda’s smile faded and she looked uncomfortable. She then set a bundle on the bed. "The villagers are sure that it happened when the fire creature tried to smash you. It pretty much fell apart after you got back to the town." Link unrolled the bundle with a sense of foreboding. The Gilded Sword’s blade was shattered into pieces and even part of the hilt was broken.

Link suppressed a curse. "That sword has been with me a long time. It was near its end," he said, trying to keep himself from feeling too bad. Then, he noticed that Zelda had another bundle in her lap. "What is that one?"

She smiled again as she unwrapped it. "The villagers got this together for you," she said. She continued as she held it up, "It’s not the Gilded Sword, but it cuts pretty well." Link took the bundle from her and unwrapped it, revealing a rather simple sword. He examined it, and came to the conclusion that it may be simple, but it was definitely a strong blade.

"It’s a good sword," he said as he replaced the sword. He got up and took off the Goron Tunic. Zelda handed him his Zora Tunic, which he slipped over his white shirt and then buckled his belt. He strapped the sword scabbard to his baldric and put it on. He was about to leave when Zelda cleared her throat. He looked at her quizzically and said, "What is it?"

"I don’t think a red hat goes with a blue tunic," she replied, obviously stifling a laugh. But when he took the hat off, she burst out laughing. His blond hair was totally unkempt and messy. "I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself!" He threw his hat at her and grabbed the matching one. He put it on and started getting his items ready.

"This shouldn’t take long. I’ll be back soon Zelda," Link said. She nodded and smiled weakly. He smiled back and left. He mounted Epona and rode to Lake Hylia as fast as the horse could carry him.
Meanwhile, darkness began spreading from the Gerudo Valley. Ganondorf’s army was gathering in strength. Moblin warriors and Stalfos Knights started to number in the thousands. Although Ganondorf had yet to reappear, his forces were already marshalling for an attack on Hyrule. His war on the beautiful kingdom would come swiftly.
The first thing Link noticed as he rode towards the lake was that the water level had dropped dramatically. He also saw a gaggle of tektites on the shore. He wasn’t worried about the tektites, but a low water level could hinder his progress inside the Water Temple. He rode Epona along the bridges which led to the Temple.

He tied Epona to the lone tree and walked to the edge of the small island. Out of instinct, Link took a deep breath and dove off the island into the water. While wearing the Zora Tunic, Link was able to breathe under water, so it was no problem for him to swim into the Water Temple.

Link didn’t waste time by going to the boss chamber first. He was sure it was locked. Instead, he swam down to the lowest level and slipped on his iron boots. He was able to walk across the floor. He entered a nearby chamber. The door slammed and locked behind him. Inside, he found himself facing ten shellblades. The armored clams started advancing on him.
Link took out his hookshot and took aim. He was able to take out tow of them before they were too close. Then, he took off his iron boots and floated over them, hitting one of them before slipping the boots back on. He fired the hookshot again, cracking a shellblade in half. As soon as the hook returned, he fired it at another one. Unfortunately, the shellblade closed on it and broke the chain. Link cursed and drew his new sword. As soon as he did so, he noticed a drain in the center of the room. He looked around for the switch but couldn’t spot it immediately.

He was so intent on finding it that he didn’t notice a shellblade getting close to him. At the same instant that Link found the switch in the ceiling, the shellblade’s spikes hit Link’s arm. He cried out in pain.

He took off the iron boots and swam to the switch. He hit it with his sword and the water in the room promptly drained. As soon as he hit the floor, he attacked the remaining shellblades quickly with his sword. No water resistance and the fact that shellblades can’t move easily out of water made it very easy for him. After the last shellblade was destroyed, a treasure chest appeared.

Link walked over to it and opened the chest. He pulled out a scroll that was in there. He read it aloud, "The whipshot is another step up from the hookshot. It is quick and deadly." He picked up the whipshot. It looked like the old one. He hit the switch on it and it extended quickly. He held the switch down. The hook at the end hit the wall, but rather than returning to the hilt, it remained extended.

Rather than a normal chain-link connector to the hook, the chain was spiked. Link found that he was able to use it as a whip. When he released the switch, the hook returned to the hilt. He took out the broken hookshot and tossed it onto the ground and he put the whipshot away.

Part 2....text limits aren't my friends. :p

He went back out the door and started swimming through the temple. As he swam, a shark started swimming after him. The shark was a Gyorg. It was about the size of Link himself. It swam past Link and started to turn back towards him. Link took out his new whipshot and aimed. He knew the whip wouldn’t work underwater, but the hook certainly would. He fired at the shark. However, the shark’s snout was armor-plated. The hook bounced harmlessly off. The shark swam past Link again.

The shark was too fast to hit with the whipshot, so he drew his sword. When the Gyorg was close again, he smacked it with his sword. This turned the shark aside. The shark hit Link with its tail, sending him spinning. When Link stopped spinning the shark was almost on top of him again. He kicked his feet hard and swam over the Gyorg. He slashed his sword through the water and cut into the Gyorg. The Gyorg swam away and Link swam towards another door. Before he could get into the room, the Gyorg was on top of him again. Link stabbed the Gyorg in the head and it died.

Link sighed and went into the room. Once inside, he found something interesting. The room looked oddly familiar, except that there was no door on the other side. The door he came in through slammed and locked behind him. He then found himself facing a shadow version of himself. "Not again," he muttered. He drew his sword and the Dark Link drew his as well. They faced each other, then attacked. Their swords clashed as they attacked and parried. Link kicked Dark Link sending him flying. It landed on its feet and glared at Link with deep red eyes. Then it attacked again.

Their swords clashed several more times and the fight grew more and more fierce. Dark Link scored a hit on Link’s shoulder. Link clipped Dark Link’s left arm. Their swords locked for a moment, and then Link twisted his sword, sending Dark Link’s weapon flying. He tried to stab the illusion in the heart, but it moved. Instead, Link’s sword impaled its leg. Dark Link retrieved its sword, but it was wounded. Link attacked again. The room reverberated with the sounds of their swords clashing.

Link was steadily growing weary, so he knew he had to end the fight soon. He jumped over Dark Link and kicked it in the back. Dark Link hit the floor. Link jumped up and then impaled the shadow version of himself with his sword. The illusion faded and the room’s strange appearance turned normal. A gold and blue chest appeared in the back of the room. Link opened the chest and took out the boss key. It was almost over.

Link swam through the temple to where the boss room was located. He climbed out of the water and started to make his way towards the boss room. Then, a gravely voice said, "That’s as far as you go elf boy." He looked up and saw a large Moblin warrior perched on a nearby column. It had a large sword, and it jumped down next to Link. Link started to draw his sword, but then decided to take out his whipshot. He let the chain out and whipped it out at the Moblin and it wrapped around its sword. Link jerked the chain and ripped the sword from the Mobilin’s hand. Then, he swung it again and it wrapped completely around the Moblin, and then he threw the Moblin into the water.

Link put it away and went through a door. The room was a slope leading to the boss chamber. He drew his sword and used it to get up the slope and went into the boss chamber. He jumped into the center of the chamber and found that the center started collapsing until Link was surrounded by water. In the water, there was a huge Gyorg that was at least three times the size of a regular Gyorg. It hit the platform knocking Link into the water and then charged him. Link drew his sword and whacked the shark. The King Gyorg was barely wounded. The huge shark attacked again, but Link held his shield up.

He got out of the water and drew his bow. He notched a Light Arrow and got ready. The King Gyorg jumped out of the water and Link fired the arrow. The Light Arrow hit the huge shark hard, and it fell back in the water. He got another Light Arrow ready. This time, the shark rammed the platform instead of leaping at Link. Link lost his balance and the arrow flew without hitting anything but the wall.

"Damn!" he exclaimed. He picked up his bow again and readied a normal arrow, then stood up. He aimed at the King Gyorg and let the arrow fly. It wasn’t slowed down by the water and hit the King Gyorg on the snout. The enormous shark responded by smashing into the platform once again. Link fell into the water yet again. He drew his sword and tried to swim back to the platform. This time however, the King Gyorg tried to eat the Hylian warrior. As the Gyorg’s jaws closed on Link, he stabbed his sword into the creature’s skull, hitting its brain. He got out of the dying shark’s mouth and climbed back onto the platform. As the King Gyorg died, the Pendant of Wisdom fell from the ceiling. Link retrieved it and stepped into the magical portal awaiting him.

Thanks guys! Okay, Chapter 5! This will see the first time Zelda has seen combat in this story.

Chapter 5:
Link reappeared on the small island in the middle of the lake. He smiled as the water level started to return to normal. He walked over and petted Epona. "Well girl, I guess we’d better go pick up Zelda. I don’t think she’d forgive me if I broke my promise," he said to her. If Epona could’ve rolled her eyes, she would have. Her Hylian masters were incomprehensible to her, just as women like Zelda were incomprehensible to Link. He mounted Epona and spurred her away from Lake Hylia. He gave the Gerudo Valley a wide berth. However, if he hadn’t, he might have been able to do more than he would later. For the moment, unfortunately, he was focused on getting to Hyrule Castle without incident.

Just inside the Valley, Ganondorf’s advance forces were setting out on large wild boars and wolves. This was a rather small group, but they were capable of doing much harm. But, Link didn’t know. He arrived at the castle without trouble to find Zelda waiting for him on a pure black steed. Her long blonde hair was tied up in a ponytail and Link thought she looked positively radiant. She grinned at him. "Well, it’s about time you got here. Shall we be off to the Forest Temple?" she asked.
Link nodded and spurred Epona back towards the castle gates, Zelda following behind. The pair galloped through the town, Zelda clearly trying to show off by spurring her horse faster. Link merely rolled his eyes, though inwardly, he was impressed. They reached the Kokiri Forest without incident and tied their horses up to a tree right outside the entrance. When they entered it was night. This was lucky for Link because the last thing he wanted was to hear Mido blather on about how outsiders aren’t allowed. Zelda followed him to the Sacred Forest Grotto. Link experienced a pang of sadness as he noticed the stump that Saria had occupied so many years before. Zelda put her hand on his shoulder, and Link smiled. He helped her up into the Forest Temple entrance. Inside, Link saw the boss chamber below. He wasn’t surprised to see the lock on it. He was surprised to see a large group of what appeared to be small Moblins patrolling the area.

"Think we can take them?" Zelda whispered. Link gave her an almost primal smile, curling his fingers around his sword. They charged. Link drew his sword from his baldric as Zelda drew hers from the sheath on her left hip. Link quickly slashed through one of the small Moblins. Zelda held her curved, almost Elvish sword in a reverse hold so that the blade was along her arm. She attacked a Moblin by slicing her sword along its midsection. Link spun, taking down four of the small Moblins. Zelda’s sword cut down two others. "Link! Look out!" she exclaimed.

Link ducked as the last Moblin slashed at him, and then a small dagger hit the Moblin in the chest. Link looked at her. "Thank you Zelda," he said with a smile. She nodded. Link pointed to one of the doors surrounding them. "Let’s try in there."

"Yes, let’s. We need to find the boss key," she said. She sheathed her sword and the two walked to the door. When they entered the room, it locked behind them. Suddenly a huge skulltula dropped from the ceiling. It shrieked at the pair of warriors and then charged. Link leapt into the air, drawing his sword as Zelda drew hers. Zelda tried to hit the huge spider with her blade, but it bounced off its rough exoskeleton. As it started towards her, Link quickly attached a bomb to an arrow and fired. The bomb exploded against the creature’s hide, and hairline cracks formed.

"Zelda! Aim for the cracks in its shell!" Link yelled to her. The shout distracted him from the action of the skulltula, and it slammed on top of him. He could see the fangs of the beast and he closed his eyes in horror. Suddenly the spider exploded in a burst of smoke and Link fell to the ground. "Whew! Good save Princess," he said as she helped him up.

A treasure chest appeared in the center of the room, but from its plain ornamentation, Link could tell that it wasn't the boss key. Still, he decided that it was probably helpful. He went and opened the chest while Zelda kept watch. He pulled out an arrow. Looking at it quizzically, he read the inscription inside the chest, "Dark Arrow. An arrow filled with pure darkness, and capable of destroying enemies and banishing them to the world of the dead." Link shrugged and put it away. "Guess I'll have to try it to see what it does."

Zelda nodded. "Come on Link, we'd better go," she said. Link and Zelda left the room when suddenly a giant owl dropped down into the Temple. They were surprised, but this area of the Temple was open air, so it was easy for the owl to get in.

Kaepora Gaebora hovered in front of them. "Hoo, hoo! Link, my old friend! Allow me to help you!" he hooted happily. In his talons rested the Boss Key! Link gratefully took it. "Now, hurry on! Ganondorf's forces are on the move, hoot hoot!" the owl said, taking to the skies again.

Zelda looked at Link, who just shrugged. They made their way through the Temple again, being careful not to be ambushed. When they arrived at the entrance to the boss's lair, Link tightened his grip on his sword. The room was similar to where he fought Phantom Ganon so long ago. The only thing different, he noted, was the absence of paintings. He didn't even look back when the gate rose, locking them in.

Then, from the ceiling descended a nightmare. A creature composed of infinite darkness, surrounded by keese of all kinds. A creature that Link had faced before. Gomess. Only now, Gomess was stronger, and more cunning. But then, so was Link. The dark beast drew out a wicked scythe. Link held his sword, as did Zelda. When it moved, they jumped, swords whistling through the air. Unfortunately, Gomess didn't give them much of a chance. His scythe grabbed both of them and threw them to the ground. Link started to stand when Zelda shouted, "Link! Try Light Arrows!"
Link nodded, getting out his bow and notching a Light Arrow. As it flew, it trailed light behind it. But when it impacted with Gomess, it was swallowed. "What the?" he exclaimed. Gomess laughed and slashed at Link with his scythe, sending him sprawling to the ground. Zelda slashed at the creature with her sword, but she just killed a few keese. She cursed and drew her crossbow, putting a Light Arrow in. She fired, but with no better luck than Link had. She was sent flying as well.

"What will work on this beast?" she yelled. Link couldn't answer, he had no idea. Then the thought came to him. He drew a Dark Arrow and aimed. He fired, sending the arrow at Gomess. The arrow struck, swallowing all of the keese and it stunned Gomess. "That's it! Hit it now!" Zelda exclaimed. Both she and Link rushed at the creature and struck it with their swords. Before they could hit it again, Gomess hit them with his scythe, sending them flying. Link landed on his back while Zelda landed a little more gracefully. Link stood, getting out his bow again.

"So, it's vulnerable to darkness, even though it's a creature of darkness," he murmured.

"It makes sense Link. It's pure darkness being matched with more pure darkness. They'd pull on each other. That's why it weakens him!" she replied. Link nodded in understanding, drawing another Dark Arrow. He fired again, and this time it swallowed the creature's scythe. Link and Zelda rushed at the Gomess and struck. Again and again, their swords cut into the creature until it lay on the floor. Then Zelda took out a Light Arrow and placed it in her crossbow. She aimed at the Gomess's head and fired. This time, the arrow struck home, and the boss vanished in a flash of light!

"Well...that's over," Link said. Then, his eye caught a green gleam. He looked up at the ceiling and saw the Pendant of Courage hanging up there. He smiled and took out his boomerang. He hurled it and it hooked the Pendant, bringing it back down to him. He looked at Zelda. "Well, let's go get the Master Sword, and then the keys in the other temples," he said. She nodded.

They quickly left the Temple using Zelda's magic. When they arrived outside the forest, Link quickly spotted smoke in the distance. Without wasting a second, he spurred Epona on as fast as she could run, Zelda trailing behind. He pulled back on the reins as they came up on the hill overlooking the Castle and he felt his heart turning to ice. Zelda came up beside him. "Oh no. It's started! Come on Link, we've got to help them!" Link nodded, and the two of them rode down towards the town, and into danger.

Thanks! Okay, this next one's a bit shorter than the others, but it's a rather necessary one. Here goes, Chapter 6!

Chapter 6:
The horses galloped into the town, both riders drawing their swords. "Zelda, cover me!" Link shouted as he galloped towards a Bokoblin astride a large boar. As Epona thundered towards the beast, it turned its head in time to see a sword heading straight for it. The blade caught the monster in its jaw, sending it flying. Zelda leapt from her horse's back, cutting through another monster, landing in a crouch, her sword curved for another slash. Link came close with Epona but she waved him off. "Go! Don't worry about me, just get the Master Sword!" she yelled. Link stared at her for a few moments, then nodded, riding over several more Bokoblins to get through the town square towards the Temple of Time. Zelda smiled to herself, then frowned, leaping towards one of the larger Moblins. The creature blocked her headlong attack with his long spear. She used the momentum to launch herself into the air and landed behind the Moblin. She spun and slashed it, sending it flying!

Another Moblin came charging towards her, but Zelda saw it. She slipped under the Moblin's guard and stabbed it, pushing it down onto the ground. She quickly spun, slicing into a Bokoblin that came up behind her. The princess jumped on its back as it fell, slashing a Moblin as she landed. She sliced into another Moblin's back, then stabbed a Bokoblin that came up behind her. "Goddesses, where are they coming from?!" she exclaimed. She felt a spear smash into her, sending her flying. She hit the side of a building, crumpling to the ground. She tasted blood in her mouth and spat. She found her footing again and stared at the approaching horde. She yelled and charged quickly towards them, her curved sword cutting through more Bokoblins and hitting a pair of Moblins. She jumped, spreading her legs into a two-way kick that sent both Moblins flying. She hit the ground and turned. But before she could get her guard up, a spear hit her in the shoulder, then the wood part hit her in the chin, sending her tumbling through the air again. When she hit the ground, she dropped her weapon. "Ugh...damn it..." she muttered.

She spat again, wincing as she saw more blood. She saw blood dripping from her arm as well. She grabbed her sword and stood, more than a little unsteadily. Zelda held her sword in front of her, knowing that she was surrounded. The acrid smoke drifted into her nostrils, as well as the smell of her own blood. The sounds of the creatures faded into nothing. Zelda looked up at the creatures, noticing how still they had become. Then the clang of metal armor filled her ears. Two of the Moblins parted and a monstrosity appeared. A full suit of armor covered this monster and it carried a large, jagged sword. The Darknut twirled its sword almost effortlessly, causing Zelda to swear softly. "Well...if this is my last fight...so be it. Good luck...Link," she whispered. Then she sprinted forward, swinging the sword at the Darknut, which merely sidestepped and tripped her with its blade. She rolled along the ground and came to a stop, groaning. She heard its metallic clang closing on her until it stopped next to her. She closed her eyes as she felt the cold of the metal touch her neck and then draw back, bracing herself for the blow. A blow that, ultimately, never came. After a few seconds, she looked up and saw the Darknut fall to the ground as a sword drew from its neck. The sword was gleaming silvery-blue with a wing-shaped, blue guard. Inscribed on the blade was the Triforce symbol.

Link winked at her as he held the Master Sword. "Could you use a hand Princess?" he said with a smile.

Very nice, I loved that last comment, it made Link sound smug and humerous. I love that in writing. I started the Valentine's Day special, but that's not going to well...lol, you might wanna do it instead...

Back