• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Summer Reading

webmasterbob

The Webmaster
I remember this thread appearing during a previous year so I thought, "Hey, let's start up up again!"

So, what are each of you planning on reading this summer? I generally have a rather nice list of books to read however this year I'm a bit...stuck. I'm being forced into reading Chronicles of a Death Foretold (which honestly won't be a pain at all)....and Faulkner's Light in August (great, 600 + pages from the author that randomly makes up words to insert into the English language as he sees fit). How reading these two correlate with each other is completely unknown to me as of yet...

So, my personal nonsense aside, how about the rest of you? :)

I haven't even glanced at my school's summer reading list, I normally save that for the end of July. Right now I'm reading Next by Michael Crichton. It's an interesting book about the bio-genetics industry.

Bless Me, Ultima and Fahrenheit 451 is for my school. Also, I wanna read the 7th 8th and 9th in the Pendragon series. And if I get the chance, "1776".

Bless Me, Ultima and Fahrenheit 451 is for my school. Also, I wanna read the 7th 8th and 9th in the Pendragon series. And if I get the chance, "1776".

Bless Me, Ultima is really...interesting to say the least. Depending upon how much you enjoy random religion vs culture tie-ins the book can be very enjoyable or rather boring. I really did not enjoy Bless Me, Ultima until the final chapter *which spoilers aside is something that could definitely end up being the finale of a Hollywood flick* :D. Of course, I was also under the jurisdiction of an evil, cruel, and unusually mad English teacher at the time of reading.

But I don't feel like blessing you... Maybe later if you're a good boy. ;)

Also plan on reading some webcomics again... Now that I have the time. :D

Ender's Game and the Old Man and the Sea.

Really, just the Old Man and the Sea. Already have read Ender's Game. Twice. This week.

Did I mention that Ender's Game is probably my favorite book of all time?

So, what are each of you planning on reading this summer? I generally have a rather nice list of books to read however this year I'm a bit...stuck. I'm being forced into reading Chronicles of a Death Foretold (which honestly won't be a pain at all)....and Faulkner's Light in August (great, 600 + pages from the author that randomly makes up words to insert into the English language as he sees fit). How reading these two correlate with each other is completely unknown to me as of yet...
Same list for me, but I like freshly invented words. Too bad I'll be at camp without a dictionary...

As for everyone else's... Ender's Game is among the best books I've ever read.

[fanboy rant]
Ender's Shadow is a close second, and Speaker for the Dead keeps gets better every time I read it (five times, for those wondering). For those less familiar with the work of Mr. Card, the Shadow series takes place during and immediately after the events of Ender's Game, but follows Bean instead (who proves to be far more badass than Ender.. but less mind rippingly enlightened) and follows closely in terms of military near-future scifi. The rest of the Ender series catches up with Ender 3,000 years of lightspeed travel later, and the discovery of the pequinios, the second third species of intelligent life. It's much more intellectual and philosophical than Ender's Game, and can't really be appreciated without a good grasp both of theoretical physics and theology.
[/fanboy rant]

Yeah, yeah, piggies and badasses.

Bean still rules.

I finished the Old Man and the Sea in about an hour.
Oh, I'm back, btw.

The Bean series was so amazing. How was The Old Man and the Sea? If it was good, I'll read that for school too...
Yeah, the Old Man and the Sea was really, really dull. Not Time Machine dull, but still dull. It was only about a hundred pages, but it was a hundred pages of grammatical errors and boring story.

"The old man, he goes out to fish, and then the sharks come, and they eat the fish, and he no make no money." - South Park

Orson Scott Card is amazing. I think I've read over half of his books.

I haven't looked at my school reading list yet, but I'm currently reading The Host by Stephani Meyer. I plan on reading Breaking Dawn by Stephani Meyer, Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan, Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card, Homecoming by Orson Scott Card, Fruits Basket (books 6-end), Trigun (all), Gunslinger Girl (all), Vampire Knight (3-end), Midnight Sun by Stephani Meyer (if she can get it out that fast), A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, Trick Me Treat Me by Leslie Kelly, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, and whatever I find lying around the house.

"The old man, he goes out to fish, and then the sharks come, and they eat the fish, and he no make no money." - South Park

HAHAHAHAHA I love that South Park episode!

For High School I have to read The Catcher in the Rye and do a bunch of questions and crap on it over the summer. It's actually an okay book so far but I'd rather not read it.

HAHAHAHAHA I love that South Park episode!

For High School I have to read The Catcher in the Rye and do a bunch of questions and crap on it over the summer. It's actually an okay book so far but I'd rather not read it.
All you will ever know is: Holden is Depressed. Auto A+ on everything right there. :)

It actually is a somewhat decent book. Not my favorite, but decent.

Back