• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The Zelda Sages RPG *A REAL RPG game too!*

It has been some time, so everyone certainly deserves a bit of a status update. As of right now with the start of school, it is rather difficult for me to devote a great portion of my time to designing the game. Fear not, it will be completed! Really, I just need to find some spare time in my busy life to be able to run through it all ;).

Very true, the game has been on halt for a few months, mainly the trial of the program I was using expired :D. Once I get the funding I'll purchase it. For the time being, like animaldude said, there are a few more important things that need to get out of the way first. The game will be really awesome, but it's not an immediate concern. Besides, I can add more members the longer it takes, haha.

Work has continued. As a matter of fact, The SITs and staff will be receiving another beta sometime today :D.

Just to reiterate though, these are mainly to find bugs. There are bugs everywhere in these beta version; they can at times be not so fun or impossible to play *though I test them myself a great deal before releasing*. So, thank them for instances like
-----
"Hey Bob, I got the door key...but the door won't open :eek:"

or my personal favorite, happens to be from UltimaLink007
-----
'Hey Bob, I think you need to make your first encounter with Lexia harder."

"Why, I thought she was hard enough. You're not supposed to be able to beat her, that's what sparks the story."

"Yea, I leveled up alot and was able to beat her :D"

Can I be an unlockable character?
... no :)

To be fair to everyone, only present (and former...mwahahaha) staff members play a large role in the game. However, you can certainly appear somewhere.

Make me a total sadistic asshole in the game...please
I haven't started placing members in as of yet, mainly as I'm trying to finish the game first *NPCs are very easy to make...the game itself is not ;)*.

As an add-in to everyone, I'm constructing the final chapter now as well; of course my midterms and other work will be slowing that to...but it should be well and ready soon enough *once the bugs are worked out as well*.

It doesn't, it only supports up to 32 bit for playable characters *character images though can support whatever image you can make. I actually have one actual person in the game and 3D character. Hence, why my programing skills would need to increase by such leaps and bounds ;).

So... Its not 3D? They are based off of sprites? Then I see no extra coding involved, and sprites can be made in both 2D and 3D programs.

Nope, at least for character properties. Essentially the only limit is how well you can make sprite sheets. I'm using most of the default sprite sheets, however I did make one character on my own *and it's sorta easy to tell when you see it in action :D*.

Essentially, you code events in ruby, which is a programing language which originated in Japan *and is rather simple*. You will need to set each event, aka character's actions and the likes of it. Really, you need to make something for anything that goes on in the game other than basic movements and menus, enemies, etc *these are controlled via a database*. The program does come with an animation assistant which I've used to create a few extra move effects and luckily the animations are as simple as select image portion, select frame, click and move, repeat.

Nope, at least for character properties. Essentially the only limit is how well you can make sprite sheets. I'm using most of the default sprite sheets, however I did make one character on my own *and it's sorta easy to tell when you see it in action :D*.

Essentially, you code events in ruby, which is a programing language which originated in Japan *and is rather simple*. You will need to set each event, aka character's actions and the likes of it. Really, you need to make something for anything that goes on in the game other than basic movements and menus, enemies, etc *these are controlled via a database*. The program does come with an animation assistant which I've used to create a few extra move effects and luckily the animations are as simple as select image portion, select frame, click and move, repeat.

Well Bob, I don't know if you knew this, but I happen to be an avid graphic artist and coder. *wink*

I know, want to make sprites? I've been relying on myself for anything tha hasn't shown up default.

Well, I'm actually doing pretty well with the default stuff. For any form of sequel I'd probably have to make use of extreme art skills, mainly because you would have seen most of the characters already. Recently I've been throwing in a few things here and there to spruce everything up as well, including creating a good deal of the game music *something that I can easily do with Garageband and am actually rather good at, hehe*.

EDIT!!!

Well, it's been some time, so I thought I'd update everyone a bit. I'm still working feverishly away at this game; it really is a great deal of work to make everything work. So, I'll give everyone 6 new photos to look at, with captions! Even the beta testers have not seen a few areas pictured, although none of these will spoil the game for you.

rpg1na0.jpg

(One of What!?!)

rpg2ry6.jpg

(Yea, that's not a cheap allusion to anything...)

rpg3ip5.jpg

(So Bob, you were too cheap to use color any longer?)

rpg4vd3.jpg

(Why does the guy with the gate get the cool snowmen?)

rpg5wd6.jpg

(I know...I just couldn't resist. If the beta testers were not gagged they'd tell you what happens next :D)

rpg6wd5.jpg

(A volcano dungeon? That's certainly not a cliche or anything...)

Yup, so I'm still working. In the meantime, enjoy these photos...and comment if you wish.

I know, want to make sprites? I've been relying on myself for anything tha hasn't shown up default.

Well, I'm actually doing pretty well with the default stuff. For any form of sequel I'd probably have to make use of extreme art skills, mainly because you would have seen most of the characters already. Recently I've been throwing in a few things here and there to spruce everything up as well, including creating a good deal of the game music *something that I can easily do with Garageband and am actually rather good at, hehe*.

EDIT!!!
Well, it's been some time, so I thought I'd update everyone a bit. I'm still working feverishly away at this game; it really is a great deal of work to make everything work. So, I'll give everyone 6 new photos to look at, with captions! Even the beta testers have not seen a few areas pictured, although none of these will spoil the game for you.

rpg1na0.jpg

(One of What!?!)

rpg2ry6.jpg

(Yea, that's not a cheap allusion to anything...)

rpg3ip5.jpg

(So Bob, you were too cheap to use color any longer?)

rpg4vd3.jpg

(Why does the guy with the gate get the cool snowmen?)

rpg5wd6.jpg

(I know...I just couldn't resist. If the beta testers were not gagged they'd tell you what happens next :D)

rpg6wd5.jpg

(A volcano dungeon? That's certainly not a cliche or anything...)

Yup, so I'm still working. In the meantime, enjoy these photos...and comment if you wish.​
I never saw the first three before... The last three I do know, and the fifth is the best, EVER. After you release the full game, you should release the beta with that in it... Along with that amazing beta ending. :)

Back