• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The Zelda Timeline--Is it even possible to connect the games?

A Good Timeline Information Source: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=920769&topic=24434804

I believe it is, but what are your thoughts?

There *is* a split timeline, which was created during OoT when Link was returned to his original time (this has been confirmed by Nintendo).

So one question really remains: What is the timeline order?

It's very simple.

The Minish Cap comes first, followed shortly thereafter by Four Swords. Then comes OoT, which creates the split timeline.

In the "Adult Timeline", where Link left to go back to his time, the order seems to be the following:

MC-FS-OoT-*TP-WW-ALttP-LA-AoL-LoZ

*As we know TP comes before WW this is the only possible order which would work.

In the "Child Timeline, the order is a lot different since Link never returned to *any* form of Hyrule.

MC-FS-(child)OoT-*MM

*Yes, MM takes place in the child timeline, obviously. It can't take place in a time when Link doesn't exist (Adult Timeline).

So..am I so far off with this? What do you all think? *Is* there really a timeline?

Yes, Nintendo has confirmed a split timeline at a point in time. However, that's not official yet. They are taking the timeline down to fix it.

http://www.zhq2.com/eiji_exclusive_part1.shtml

At the moment, there are only minor timelines:

OoT/MM->TP->TWW

Sealing War->ALttP/LA(?)->AoL BS->LoZ/AoL

TMC BS->TMC->FS BS->FS/FSA

The Sealing War seems to fit OoT very well. Esapecially if you look at the Japanese version, where the Wise Men only sealed the gate to the Golden Land to stop evil from flowing from the Realm (in OoT we see that Ganon remained in Hyrule after that).

Unless TP makes it possible for ALttP and LoZ to come before the Flood (and preferable before TP, if Ganon is indeed the villain in TP) I suppose there will be a split timeline. If not, Nintendo will create more holes.

TMC and FS might come before, as you say. But that'll create a huge hole in the timeline, and in order to make a realistic timeline it's better to depend on ONLY the games that has been released so far.

At the moment, my timeline theory is that ALttP comes in the adult timeline. It explains what happens after Link was sealed in the Golden Land, while TWW only says that he appeared as if from no where and defeated Ganon. TWW also has referances to MM.

Also note that according the legend in TWW generations passed before the evil returned. That means that the Hero of Time didn't appear because he was dead. I'll point back to what I said above, about TWW only saying that he appeared out of no where and defeated the evil. Of course, when Ganon returned they assumed he would do the same again.;)

As for the connection between ALttP and the NES games, that's pretty much because of the back story in AoL. So far, there are only two games where Link gets the whole Triforce: AoL and ALttP. Because I try to have as few holes in my timeline theory as possible, it would be only natural to therefore connect those two games. The King in the AoL BS is then probably the son or grandson of ALttP Link (meaning that ALttP Link have to marry Zelda).

As for TMC, I like to place it close to ALttP, maybe before. If before, that could explain the lack of Ganon. The rest of the FS series, though, I imagine is at the end of the so-far known adult timeline. Partly because Ganon is said to be reborn from an ancient daemon in FSA. That's another hole it would create if it was to be before OoT.

But I don't think that OoT will end up as the first game in the timeline. In OoT the Master Sword is legendary, and the Sages has been gathered before. An earlier game could explain why they felt the need to build the Temple of Time.

I always thought of WW as the last game. It would have to be after any game that featured zoras (at least on one timeline). My theory is that the zoras turned into the Rito people which would explain why Medli's sage/ancestor is a zora.
Also I have a problem with MC being the first game. It says the minish/piccori come to Hyrule every hundred years and gave a brave person a sword and a golden light (a.k.a. triforce). That means a different game, my guess LoZ since no other game seems to fit, came before MC.
This is my timeline: excluding TP

Loz-MC-OoT-*split*
(adult) -LA-AoL-ALttP-FS-(big flood)-WW
(child) -MM-OoA/OoS

Question: Should we take into account the CD-i games? _FoE,WoG,AoZ

Okay, think about this:The Loz is the most current in the series. OoT is suposedly the oldest. You people said that The rito are evolved from the zoras. Unless the rito turned back to the seas, how do the zoras come to be in Loz? Just a thought....

And all games that come after the ww....would be in the land that king hyrule wished tetra and link would find. So these lands wouldnt be Hyrule..."Your new land will not be hyrule.....it will be yours"

Consider this too: The ritos might be decsendants of the Guruedos. I always thought they looked birds with those noses.

ill have more on this later...

About the cd-i games:.....ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

It's a simple solution. The zoras in LoZ are the evil ones that hurt you. The Rito people must have just evolved from the nice ones. I would also like to apologize for my timeline. LoZ is definately not first and FS definately comes after MC and before OoT. This is so because we know FS takes place 100 years after MC since the Sanctuary only opens every 100 years and we all agree that MC happened along time ago befor OoT.

Another way to explain the zoras evolution is that WW and LoZ do not happen on the same timeline.

revised timeline: excluding TP
MC-FS-OoT(*split*)
child-MM-FSA-AoL-LoZ
adult-OoT-OoA/OoS-LA-LttP-WW

First of all: Sorry if this is spam or what not, I want to let my opinion be known.

Ok, now down to business. I do believe that the Four Sword stuff happens in a parallel universe. They never mention Ganon, and Zelda is refered to as the guardian of the Four Sword. This theory is much like the idea of the multiple Megaman universes (four if I'm not mistaken, maybe more.) For the sake of arguement they are divided up by sword, even though the Master Sword is not technecly LoZ and AoL. Anyway this is my idea:

Four Sword: MC-FS-FSA
Master Sword:OoT-MM-OoS/OoA-ALttP-LA-LoZ-AoL-TP(I'm not really sure were this goes)-WW

If I forgot any, please tell me. And if you have any questions ask me, because I spent a lot of time researching this before.

This seems to complecated and i dont want to think that much right now. The split in the timeline clears alot of stuff up with me, thanks.

First of all: Sorry if this is spam or what not, I want to let my opinion be known.

Ok, now down to business. I do believe that the Four Sword stuff happens in a parallel universe. They never mention Ganon, and Zelda is refered to as the guardian of the Four Sword. This theory is much like the idea of the multiple Megaman universes (four if I'm not mistaken, maybe more.) For the sake of arguement they are divided up by sword, even though the Master Sword is not technecly LoZ and AoL. Anyway this is my idea:

Four Sword: MC-FS-FSA
Master Sword:OoT-MM-OoS/OoA-ALttP-LA-LoZ-AoL-TP(I'm not really sure were this goes)-WW

If I forgot any, please tell me. And if you have any questions ask me, because I spent a lot of time researching this before.
No, it is not spam. Or if it is, I say it is not. Even if I'm wrong.
The Four Sword timeline DID happen in the same timeline as the others, they just happened far earlier. What's confusing is Four Sword Adventures, which has to happen fairly far in the future. This is because Vaati revives Ganon right before he dies. Now, this is for clarification: GANON AND GANONDORF ARE NOT THE SAME. Ganon is a demon monster thing that has been around for quite some time. Ganondorf was was a mortal who happened to get the Triforce of Power. This gave him some sort of eternal youth or something, and preserves him throughout the ages. In the end of OoT, Ganondorf merely summons Ganon, he does not become him (either that or Ganon posesses Ganondorf). This is why later in WW, Ganon is nowhere to be found, because Ganondorf never summons Ganon. Now back to the point. Vaati revives Ganon before his defeat, and Link knows who Ganon is. This means that Vaati and Ganon exist in the same timeline, and FSAs occurs after most of the games, probably in the Child Timeline. This does bring up the question of where the crap the Four Sword was during Oot. (The Master Sword? Why use that? The Four Sword's right over there, and you don't even need any peandants! I mean, all sacred blades with the power to vanquish evil are the same, right?)

Well there is a problem with using the Four Sword. It's the fact that in using it you could possibly release Vaati by mistake. He is conceled in it you know. The other thing is I believe the Four Sword is deep within the Lost Forest.

All this talk reminds me that I have a theory for downloadable content for TP. A side quest for the Four Sword. And when you get it you can split into four and three of them are bots that help you.

UPDATE: I finally understand the child/adult timelines.

MC-OoT<*

* (adult) ALttP*-LA**-LoZ-AoL**-% or end?
_ (child) MM_-OoS/OoA__-%
% (recombining?) TP^-FS-WW-FSA

The following is my reasonings and justifications.

*Nintendo said it was a prequel to the originals
**Nintendo said it was a direct sequel
_Clearly a sequel, Link is looking for Navi
__Based on my assumption that Link returns to Hyrule after his MM quest and gets warped to Lybinna/Holodrum. Also Twinrova is trying to revive Ganon
^I don’t know where this goes, I need to play it. I can only assume this is when Ganon makes his return.
%I seems as if the timelines recombine here some how. It is as if a different series of events leads to the same conclusion. Either that or the adult timeline ends with AoL.

I'll have to research *play* the four swords ones but this is how my timeline idea goes

1. OoT
directly after returning to original time
2. Majora's Mask
Somewhere around Seventy or Eighty Years
3. Twilight Princess
Hundreds of Years
4. Windwaker
5. AlttP
6. AoL
7. LoZ

i havnt included the others because i havnt really played them all that much
and i found it said windwaker occured hundreds not a hundred years after OoT...lol
and the only thing im sure of with the fs timeline is that minish cap is the first...

No, it is not spam. Or if it is, I say it is not. Even if I'm wrong.
The Four Sword timeline DID happen in the same timeline as the others, they just happened far earlier. What's confusing is Four Sword Adventures, which has to happen fairly far in the future. This is because Vaati revives Ganon right before he dies. Now, this is for clarification: GANON AND GANONDORF ARE NOT THE SAME. Ganon is a demon monster thing that has been around for quite some time. Ganondorf was was a mortal who happened to get the Triforce of Power. This gave him some sort of eternal youth or something, and preserves him throughout the ages. In the end of OoT, Ganondorf merely summons Ganon, he does not become him (either that or Ganon posesses Ganondorf). This is why later in WW, Ganon is nowhere to be found, because Ganondorf never summons Ganon. Now back to the point. Vaati revives Ganon before his defeat, and Link knows who Ganon is. This means that Vaati and Ganon exist in the same timeline, and FSAs occurs after most of the games, probably in the Child Timeline. This does bring up the question of where the crap the Four Sword was during Oot. (The Master Sword? Why use that? The Four Sword's right over there, and you don't even need any peandants! I mean, all sacred blades with the power to vanquish evil are the same, right?)

Okay, first of all Link probably couldn't have used the Four Sword, because after they sealed Vaati in it it was sent back into the Sanctuary of the Four Sword, Which only opens once every hundred years, I cannot stress this enough people.
Second, Ganon is Ganondorf in the dark realm. Once Ganondorf toke over Hyrule, he used the power of his triforce of power and the others to turn it into the dark realm. The dark energy built up over time, and when Link was about to slay him the "dam burst" as they say and transformed him into Ganon. Ganon is not in WW because the dark realm is not there.
Third, I doubt that the Oos/OoA games are on the same timeline as OoT. If anyone else has also heard this theory, when the timeline split OoT was put into one line(adult) and the child started with MM. Anyway, in OoT Twinrova is last seen ascending into Hea-(not sure if I can say it here) with halos. So they died. In MM, the parallel universe puts them as very nice hags who help rather than hurt. Maybe Koume and Kotake got tired of being nice and decided to be evil by resurecting Ganon with the legendary torches of sorrow, destruction, and despair.

Okay, first of all Link probably couldn't have used the Four Sword, because after they sealed Vaati in it it was sent back into the Sanctuary of the Four Sword, Which only opens once every hundred years, I cannot stress this enough people.
Second, Ganon is Ganondorf in the dark realm. Once Ganondorf toke over Hyrule, he used the power of his triforce of power and the others to turn it into the dark realm. The dark energy built up over time, and when Link was about to slay him the "dam burst" as they say and transformed him into Ganon. Ganon is not in WW because the dark realm is not there.
Third, I doubt that the Oos/OoA games are on the same timeline as OoT. If anyone else has also heard this theory, when the timeline split OoT was put into one line(adult) and the child started with MM. Anyway, in OoT Twinrova is last seen ascending into Hea-(not sure if I can say it here) with halos. So they died. In MM, the parallel universe puts them as very nice hags who help rather than hurt. Maybe Koume and Kotake got tired of being nice and decided to be evil by resurecting Ganon with the legendary torches of sorrow, destruction, and despair.
OK, I understand that the Four Sword was sealed away (I'm playing through FSAs) but the game shows that Zelda can simply open the portal to the hidden shrine if she has the help of the six maidens. Where does it say that it only opens every 100 years? Secondly, on the topic of Ganon. Ganon makes an appearence in A Link to the Past in Dark World, which strengthens your theory that Ganon only appears in Dark World/Twilight Kingdom/Dark Future. However, his appearence in the first two Zelda games had no Ganondorf, and no Dark World in any form. Furthermore, when Vaati resurects Ganon in FSAs, there is no Dark World either, and no Ganondorf. People in the Zelda series keep reviving Ganon, but Ganondorf doesn't need reviving seeing as he's already alive (but imprisoned, usually). This shows that Ganon and Ganondorf can live, and die, seperately.

There's what I forgot to put into the site, timeline theories! :D. I'll have to throw that up. There are actually several timelines which could happen, however some things are set in stone via information given to us by Nintendo and the game guides. That, and we also need to take into account that there are several heroes among the ages, who happen to be named Link. In addition, as confirmed by the Wind Waker, these are not always reexaminations of a pervious Link.

Er... There are a few things I want to point out. Long ago when AoL came out, Nintendo said it was a sequel to the original. This means it cannot come before LoZ. The second thing is... er well nothing I guess. That's all I wanted to say.

This time line confuses me to no end...............>.<.............. Am I just an idiot, or is this really hard to discuss, considering I haven't played half of the LoZ games, but love the ones I've played.........................

I think OoA and OoS come before OoT, as Link does not recongnise Impa.

I have an answer to him not recognizing Impa. In the Oracle games Impa is, well, large to say the least. In OoT she is not. The other thing is, in my theory, Link is returning, and thus he could be an adult. With that it could have been ten or more years since he saw Impa, and it wasn't the same Impa anyway. The OoT Impa was a sage, so she spend the rest of her life in the sage's realm.

The other thing I just found out is that LoZ and AoL cannot come after WW because the towns in AoL are named after the seven sages. Since the people in WW didn't know about the sages, they surely wouldn't have named the towns in New Hyrule after them.

I just thought of something. In the opening scene before the main title scene in OoS/OoA, it shows Link on Epona, so that means it should be before MM, shouldn't it?

Back