• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Do you believe in God?

Re: Do u beleive in God?

what's your point? God isn't violent or a warlord.

Have you read the Old Testament?

"...do not leave alive anything that breaths. Completely destroy them...as the Lord your God has commanded you..." Deuteronomy 20:16, NIV.

Throughout the Old Testament the Judeo-Christian God orders or carries out multiple genocides. That sounds like the actions of a violent warlord to me. The way the original stories were written merely convey the attitudes and culture of the people who came up with these stories and characters in the first place.

It's a long read, but if you ever have time to look at it, I'd recommend reading this, http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm It gives a pretty good picture of the circumstances under which the religion originally formed.

Where did the universe come from?

Are you trying to make a 'god of the gaps' argument?
"We don't know X, therefore it must be god."

While modern science is letting us learn more and more about the universe and it's origins, there is still much more that we have to learn. The idea however, that the incomplete knowledge that is currently available from science puts it at a similar or lower level than religion is flawed. There are currently theories with varying degrees of evidence for the origin of the universe, the Earth, and life. If any evidence is produced for the origin suggested by any religion, please let me know.

God created the universe. God is not X, God is our creator. Think about it this way. Science is allowing us to see God's meathod of doing things. All the little things. So what if God made Adam from an ape? He still made him. Everything, is made by God. Religion is belife. In the old testament, God appeared to Adam. Adam was the first man, thus religion came to be.

Going on that, those seven days in which God made the world? Those were in "God" days... It could have been over millions of years, hence dinosaurs and evolution.

Hmm....that's not how I think of it at all.

God created the universe and he let it go. That's it. He created the Higgs particle which gave mass to everything else, He created the elements necessary to make the stars, He created the area in which these things would eventually come into existence, then He let it all happen by itself.

Stars formed, exploded, formed, exploded, planets were created, elements took form, ice water air came, single celled organisms evolved in the water, plants and fish came into existence, they evolved into all kinds of things etc.

God created everything necessary for this to happen and then He let it unfold on its own.

I dig it... All the theories are just that.. THEORIES! They aren't set in stone so believe what you will...

a few things. god did not create Adam from an ape. That is evalution, a totally different theory of the creation of humans. and the seven days god created everything in were normal days.

As teddy mentioned that is but one theory of God and creation. For example, the Catholic Church has gone on record to say that God began the catalyst for evolution.

Without stating my own beliefs on the matter I can honestly tell you that I don't really care how anyone views God's role in the creation of human beings. Heck, to me, God's still a cool guy any way you look at it so I don't care if he made the dust or the whole human, he still made something in my mind :p.

God created the universe. God is not X, God is our creator. Think about it this way. Science is allowing us to see God's meathod of doing things. All the little things. So what if God made Adam from an ape? He still made him. Everything, is made by God. Religion is belife. In the old testament, God appeared to Adam. Adam was the first man, thus religion came to be.

I'm going to assume that by 'God' you mean the Christian god. What demonstratable evidence can you present that the Christian god is the origin of the universe as we know it?

As for the origin of religion, our current historical and archealogical evidence shows that the Judeo-Christian religion was formed from a blend of the various myths and stories of those tribes, and underwent many significant changes over time to becoming what it is today.

Also, I'd like to know why you view the story of Adam as fact? There are stories from other religions that have survived to the present day. Can you please show me the evidence that Adam is real, but Hercules isn't?

I can not prove that the Christian god does not exist, as I can not prove that Allah does not exist. I can not prove that Thor, Odin, or Loki do not exist. I can not prove that Rah, Isis, or Osiris do not exist. I can not prove that Zeus, Poseidon, or Hades do not exist. I can not prove that dragons, or unicorns, or leprechauns do not exist. I can not prove that Galactic Overlord Xenu, of Scientology fame does not exist. It is impossible and unnecessary to prove a negative. If you are the one claiming something or someone exists, whether it be a magical creature, an alien, or a diety, then the burden of proof is upon you.

Hey... hey you! Ya, ImprobabilityDrive, I'm talking to you! Guess what! I found something to contradict your statement! Seeing as I don't know how to make a spoiler button, Ill just warn you in advance!

**Spoiler Warning**

THERE IS NO PROOF!

Like I said, religion is based upon faith... FAITH...

You needn't believe, but if you don't then you can't comprehend the reasons why people who DO believe feel... There is no proof, nor will there ever be... So, before you wave your hand asking for proof, keep in mind, if you don't believe in God, you wouldn't understand why we DO believe.. I cannot argue my faith well, I admit that, but I feel as if it is real.. You want someone to defend Christianity properly, ask one of my friend from school.. He can argue for the religion as well as anyone who can argue against it.. Which happens to be much easier..

The need for knowledge and proof is what makes things fail.. If you want proof so much, look for it youself and immerse yourself in the religion for a while..

well, it it says right there in the bible, and the church says, and the religion teacher at immaculate conception school says, that God created everything and the universe. That is just what catholics believe. how can we get supporting evidence of this statement? Nobody else was around and was SO LONG AGO.

The need for knowledge and proof is what makes things fail..

This kind of attitude is the main reason I see religion as a primarily negative influence. Religion often elevates 'faith' and unquestioning loyalty to a creed to a virtue, and just as often, it condemns logic, reason, and the questioning of that religion as a sin. The prevalent anti-intellectualism seen in our current culture owes a great deal to the influence of religion.

The need for knowledge and proof is what makes things succeed. The need for knowledge about why people get sick and how to cure them lead to modern medicine, which has done infinitely more to combat illness than any amount of faith that Jesus or any other divine being will cure you. The people of the past believed without question when their religions told them the origins of the unvierse. The people of the past believed without question when their religions told them that people of different races or genders were inferior. It is only when we question the world and gain knowledge about it that we improve as a society. The world as a whole has improved incredibly since people found the courage and the independence to begin questioning religion during the Enlightenment. The need for knowledge drives society forward, it lets people live longer healthier lives, and leads to the abolishment of despicable practices.

Any institution, whether it is a political ideaology, a philosophy, or a religion, that labels thinking, reasoning, and questioning a sin, and describes blind, unthinking, and unquestioning acceptance, aka 'faith', as a virtue, is a negative influence on humanity.

I'm really starting to see this thread as going in complete circles with itself...

As per the request of many members, despite it's lack of political nature, for the time being I'll be moving this thread to the political area as to better monitor what is posted in this thread. As with any thread in the political area your post approval will not be based in any way shape or form around the individual approving it; your post will be judged for quality. We're in hopes this will stop the thread from going in a rather small circle without closing it.

Back