• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

Do you believe in God?

Re: Do u beleive in God?

ImprobabilityDrive, if faith is a negative influence, is not hope just as negative? You seem to be making a comparison between these factors as if they are evil in themselves and religion, about 99.9% of them, are in no way evil.

God has no origin, no beginning. humans cannot understand this mystery. don't try to.
Don't try to? You don't care how this all got started? Even if we can't figure it out on our own, you don't wonder? Isn't that the basis of religion? The origin of man and the controller of the Universe.
That was an epic response... to ID and Zeroth, EPIC PHAIL

No, not epic phail. I can use that same argument against you. The Universe; perhaps it has no origin. If God was "just there," then why can't the Universe? The thing is, no one can prove it either way (currently). It always boils down to faith. Which is frankly something I am not comfortable blindly following.

This brings us to dogma, the thing that annoys me the most. It is a sign of a poor mind that does not think individually and freely. I hate dogma with a passion.

Well of course I wonder about the creation of man. my point is, you can't understand it. God is a mystery that can't be completely understood.

No, not epic phail. I can use that same argument against you. The Universe; perhaps it has no origin. If God was "just there," then why can't the Universe? The thing is, no one can prove it either way (currently). It always boils down to faith. Which is frankly something I am not comfortable blindly following.

Then follow it with reservations.. I don't need to believe everything.. In fact, I probably don't because it's too unbelieveable.. So, just I just believe it but not blindly...

This brings us to dogma, the thing that annoys me the most. It is a sign of a poor mind that does not think individually and freely. I hate dogma with a passion.

Finally, there is room for argument, I just think you're argument isn't strong enough.. You need proof..

I'm going to assume that by 'God' you mean the Christian god. What demonstratable evidence can you present that the Christian god is the origin of the universe as we know it?

As for the origin of religion, our current historical and archealogical evidence shows that the Judeo-Christian religion was formed from a blend of the various myths and stories of those tribes, and underwent many significant changes over time to becoming what it is today.

Also, I'd like to know why you view the story of Adam as fact? There are stories from other religions that have survived to the present day. Can you please show me the evidence that Adam is real, but Hercules isn't?

I can not prove that the Christian god does not exist, as I can not prove that Allah does not exist. I can not prove that Thor, Odin, or Loki do not exist. I can not prove that Rah, Isis, or Osiris do not exist. I can not prove that Zeus, Poseidon, or Hades do not exist. I can not prove that dragons, or unicorns, or leprechauns do not exist. I can not prove that Galactic Overlord Xenu, of Scientology fame does not exist. It is impossible and unnecessary to prove a negative. If you are the one claiming something or someone exists, whether it be a magical creature, an alien, or a diety, then the burden of proof is upon you.

Okay, fine. But you'll have to try it out yourself.

5 aIf any of you lack bwisdom, let him ask of God, that cgiveth to all men liberally, and dupbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him aask in bfaith, nothing cwavering.
James 1:5-6

It helped me. Maybe you too.

Besides, there is no real base to religion -.- It is based upon faith. That means people choose to believe, you don't have to...

Though Christian hell is bad, people believe you just need to ask for forgiveness to go to heaven.. This is wrong because the Bible has a passage where a man is turned away even though he went to church everyday.

Back to the point, God is all forgiving, though he allows suffering.. It isn't a freaking requirement to be all-helpful... What fun would the world be without bad things :p

I don't think that second paragraph is absolutely true. You could go to church, but not call on the name of the Lord Jesus as your savior, thus going to Hell. And personally, I don't think God has judged anyone yet. I think that everyone will be judged at a certain point in time. Just wanted to add my thoughts ;).

Have you read the Old Testament?

"...do not leave alive anything that breaths. Completely destroy them...as the Lord your God has commanded you..." Deuteronomy 20:16, NIV.

Throughout the Old Testament the Judeo-Christian God orders or carries out multiple genocides. That sounds like the actions of a violent warlord to me. The way the original stories were written merely convey the attitudes and culture of the people who came up with these stories and characters in the first place.

It's a long read, but if you ever have time to look at it, I'd recommend reading this, http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm It gives a pretty good picture of the circumstances under which the religion originally formed.

and in response to that, God is good and God is Holy. He alone can judge mankind. He is its creator and He can destroy his creations. He destroyed most Humans in the flood, and he struck down one of his followers to touched the Ark of the Covenant. Who is to say he can't? He's God.

I don't think that second paragraph is absolutely true. You could go to church, but not call on the name of the Lord Jesus as your savior, thus going to Hell. And personally, I don't think God has judged anyone yet. I think that everyone will be judged at a certain point in time. Just wanted to add my thoughts ;).

and in response to that, God is good and God is Holy. He alone can judge mankind. He is its creator and He can destroy his creations. He destroyed most Humans in the flood, and he struck down one of his followers to touched the Ark of the Covenant. Who is to say he can't? He's God.
While we're on the subject of ridiculous stuff from the Bible
"Christian communists trace the origins of their practice to the New Testament book Acts of the Apostles at chapter 2 and verses 42, 44, and 45:

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and in fellowship [...] 44 And all that believed were together, and had all things in common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. (King James Version)

The theme is reiterated in Acts 4:32-37:

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. 33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, 35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. 36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet. (King James Version)"

Communism. In Christianity. Eat it.

While we're on the subject of ridiculous stuff from the Bible
"Christian communists trace the origins of their practice to the New Testament book Acts of the Apostles at chapter 2 and verses 42, 44, and 45:

42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and in fellowship [...] 44 And all that believed were together, and had all things in common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. (King James Version)

The theme is reiterated in Acts 4:32-37:

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common. 33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, 35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. 36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet. (King James Version)"

Communism. In Christianity. Eat it.

Are you trying to prove a point?

Are you trying to prove a point?
Yes. The Bible can be interpreted to many different things. So can your vision of God or any other higher figure.

And I wanted to continue the quoting the bible theme.

Wow this is starting to get a little heated in here.....can't we all just accept other people's views and beliefs and just leave it at that, without arguing over meaningless things?

Wow this is starting to get a little heated in here.....can't we all just accept other people's views and beliefs and just leave it at that, without arguing over meaningless things?
You are right, however this thread is about just that.

Who am I to say? I'm the guy who inherited original sin. I'm the guy who ate from the Tree of Knowledge. I'm the guy who is "like God, knowing good and evil," (Genesis 3:5, my favorite verse) and you know what? I say that the actions of the Judeo-Christian God strongly point towards 'evil'.

God does no evil. Even in the flood, he saved countless souls that would have otherwise had very little chance of heaven, because they would have had no example of good.

God does no evil. Even in the flood, he saved countless souls that would have otherwise had very little chance of heaven, because they would have had no example of good.

Ex.12:29-30 said:
And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead.

Do infants sin? How can they know the differences between good and evil?

But perhaps God doesn't do evil. After all, evil is his definition of it.

It was for the benefit of the Israelites that this came to pass.. Hence, Passover -.-

And in response to the infant comment, according to the Bible, since Adam and Eve ate the apple from the Tree of Knowledge, everyone is born with original sin. So, they have sinned, tough..

zeroth, that was passover. passover is when the jews in egypt killed and ate a lamb and marked their doors with its blood. they go through a whole process for the lamb as well. The angel of death came down and killed the first born of all the families of people who didn't do this. All of the jews and god's followers, did this. The egyptians, who did not believe in god and enslaved the jews a long time before, were killed. it was more of a punishment. it came along with the seven plagues that god bestowed on the egyptians when Moses was trying to free the jews from the egyptians.

zeroth, that was passover. passover is when the jews in Egypt killed and ate a lamb and marked their doors with its blood. they go through a whole process for the lamb as well. The angel of death came down and killed the first born of all the families of people who didn't do this. All of the jews and god's followers, did this. The Egyptians, who did not believe in god and enslaved the jews a long time before, were killed. it was more of a punishment. it came along with the seven plagues that god bestowed on the egyptians when Moses was trying to free the jews from the Egyptians.
............I'm pretty sure the Egyptians had a religion too. With gods.

zeroth, that was passover. passover is when the jews in egypt killed and ate a lamb and marked their doors with its blood. they go through a whole process for the lamb as well. The angel of death came down and killed the first born of all the families of people who didn't do this. All of the jews and god's followers, did this. The egyptians, who did not believe in god and enslaved the jews a long time before, were killed. it was more of a punishment. it came along with the seven plagues that god bestowed on the egyptians when Moses was trying to free the jews from the egyptians.

I know, my mother is jewish, my dad is protestant. I'm de facto atheist. Still, God killed babies. I never asked to be born with sin. I don't believe I was.

plus, I believe that if a child dies before they know what sin is, they are innocent and go to heaven.
Ever since purgatory was discontinued, that's the official report.

So, who here finds it amusing that Dante's Divine Comedy has been incorporated as Judeo-Christian fanon?

Back