• Welcome to the Zelda Sages Forums!

The Zelda Sages Community Forums are a fun and easy way to interact with Zelda fans from around the globe. Our members also have access to exclusive members' only content. Register and/or log in now! Please note that user registration is currently disabled. If you would like to register please contact us.

The Enlightenment Thread... 2!!!

i am a teddy

Graverobber
This sacred text above is the name of the original longest thread ever... Unfortunately due to power struggles and people angry at me (not sure but probable :D), the thread was closed and then deleted... I miss it so much so I made a decision. Re-institute the Enlightenment Thread!

To those who do not remember or have not been on for a long time, the original ET was a thread created by myself. The point of it was to discus whatever came into your mind. Needless to say, it became a big hit. Unfortunately, it was SUPER off-topic, however, awesome! So... I'm remaking it!

There are going to be a few guidelines this time around so it (hopefully!) will last longer...

1. The topic at hand MUST be discussed for at least a page. NO exceptions.
  2. Follow all rules of Zeldasages. Also, NO double posting.
  3. If there is already a thread about the topic you are thinking of posting, head to that thread..
Well.. I suppose that could keep it up to scratch.. If I find another rule or if Bob or Versac have a suggested rule, I will post it above.. Follow the rules and perhaps it won't get deleted!

Someone throw out a topic...

Umm...those are really stupid rules. The enlightenment thread was just to talk, about totally random stuff and people could discuss it if they want. And anyway, I get a lot more posts per page than the default.

And isn't Currently Listening To? the longest thread ever?

Umm...those are really stupid rules. The enlightenment thread was just to talk, about totally random stuff and people could discuss it if they want. And anyway, I get a lot more posts per page than the default.

And isn't Currently Listening To? the longest thread ever?

If I didn't set the rules, Bob would kill it.. I'll discus it with him...

The Enlightenment Thread was longer but it got deleted -.-

Can we please get started or this thing will be shot down in a heart beat.

Btw, the previous enlightenment thread was no where near the biggest thread back then... dont you recall the "Zelda game" and "the official riddle thread"?

No, the Riddle Thread was the longest thread in ZS history, until Currently Listening to? topped 1000 ...

IT'S OVER ONE THOUSAND!!!!

Hey.... Nubcake.... the ORIGINAL ET was the longest... The riddle thread epic phailed to that.. I cannot justify my claim because SOMEBODY deleted it...:)'))

Let us discuss the new hydrogen engine Honda released in Japan in the past week or so.

It's a good step forward, but we still need to accept the technology and get off of the oil addiction that we have.

Hydrogen engines are definetly the way to go... It burns clean and is as efficient as gasoline...

Aren't we starting to drill in Siberia?

The hydrogen engines been a possibility for decades, but the oil companies would never let anyone get away with that. Now that oil seems so bad to people the corporations can't do much more. I think this will have a very negative effect on US economy. In fact, hydrogen is trying to be made into some kind of fuel that can be created and sold like gasoline, so the industry doesn't crumble. This has delayed the hydrogen engine's advancement in America.

Yeah, they're trying to do that, but its so impractical. To get hydrogen, all you do is stick water in a container and send an electric current through it. It's so easy that anyone can have one at their house. That's why the oil companies are pushing ethanol as a fuel source.

It's a good step forward, but we still need to accept the technology and get off of the oil addiction that we have.
See the comment under yoyolll's quote.

Hydrogen engines are definetly the way to go... It burns clean and is as efficient as gasoline...

Aren't we starting to drill in Siberia?
They are, and depending on how far they can advance the technology, they probably could end up far surpassing gasoline.

The hydrogen engines been a possibility for decades, but the oil companies would never let anyone get away with that. Now that oil seems so bad to people the corporations can't do much more. I think this will have a very negative effect on US economy. In fact, hydrogen is trying to be made into some kind of fuel that can be created and sold like gasoline, so the industry doesn't crumble. This has delayed the hydrogen engine's advancement in America.
This. Hooray for bureaucracy and money-mongering! :)

My opinion, if it's cheaper and more efficient do it! Ethanol is simply impractical *it corrodes your engine, produces few miles per gallon, and creates another problem...food shortages!!!*.

For some reason I distinctly remember a special on hydrogen fuel on National Geographic or History. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can cite it that'd be great because it has alot of great information.

My end of the year project for my Environmental Science class this year was to teach a segment on fuel cells in general, hydrogen in particular, so I'm going to do a quick infodump to clear up any misconceptions.

First thing to realize: hydrogen cells do not create electricity. They can create a current using a reactant and oxidizer, but the energy input to form the reactant is always higher than the energy output. Any such claims about a hydrogen fuel cell car running forever are undiluted bull****, and I encourage you to send me links to any articles that claim to have invented one so that I may laugh at them.

Second thing: fuel cells do not work at 100% efficiency. It should be obvious that there will be some energy loss, but in operation the efficiency can be anywhere from 45-17%. For comparison, internal combustion engines run around 22%, depending again on specifics. As an added penalty, that 45-17% efficiency is from the fuel to the wheel, and completely discounts any loss in the generation of electricity needed to form the fuel.

Third thing: fuel cells are expensive. A working fuel cells needs a platinum catalyst to speed the reaction. Platinum is rather obviously expensive. Another fancy doohickey in a fuel cell is the Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM), which is needed to turn an uncontrolled oxidation reaction into electricity. The PEM is made out of nafion, which is a complex artificial hydrocarbon. Complex = expensive. The platinum is absolutely vital, but early experiments using graphite instead of nafion for the PEM have shown a cost decrease from 400 euros/m^2 to 4 euros/m^2, albeit at a drop in efficiency. More research is needed, and could prove fruitful.

Fourth thing: fuel cells are reliable. Oh sure, screw up the fuel regulation an the cell explodes, but get past that (and operator error. If you build it, they will be dumb.), and you have an efficiency rating of 99.9999%. I did not make that number up, this really does only need 15 minutes of maintenance per century. (roughly)

Fifth thing: no emissions. That's ignoring the liquid water, mind you. I personally don't find water to be that big a problem, though.

As for the whole fuel cell v. gas issue, I'm holding out for maglevs with on-board annie plants. For those trapped in the 3rd millennium, however, my money's on hydrogen. The infrastructure still needs to be developed, and the comparison right now is pretty even, but hydrogen's a new field while gas has been invented and reinvented for the last hundred years. I think it's time for a paradigm shift.

As for ethanol: no. I only have three reasons, but they're pretty good ones:

1. Farmers that are growing fuel corn are not growing food. I like food, how about you?
  2. Pursual of ethanol technology will need to be backed by government funding to make it economical, and will draw away from other fields of progress.
  3. FOR CTHULHU'S SAKE, IT'S NOT EVEN WORTH IT! Modern industrial agricultural practices use gas and nitrogen fertilizer, so every calorie of ethanol produced uses ten calories worth of crude oil! The point here is to save oil, not burn it! (pun not intended)

Without technology, none of us would be alive today. Well, some of us would be alive, but the global population never would have cracked 100 million.

technology has nothing wrong, the ppl using it do. technology should be a link for ppl who normally couldnt communicate to do so. ppl have taken this too far and now lead a second life on the internet. the flaw is in humans not technology

technology has nothing wrong, the ppl using it do. technology should be a link for ppl who normally couldnt communicate to do so. ppl have taken this too far and now lead a second life on the internet. the flaw is in humans not technology
At least until the robot uprising. Aaaaand that's ten posts so...

Topic change!

Artificial intelligence - my bet is that we'll see it within 50 years. Any thoughts as to what's going to go down?

Back